Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 13:23   #1

Boat Documents . . . Probable Complications ?

hello I need your help (advice) pleas.

the boat I am optaining has been sailed 20 years buy the gentlmen who is selling it to me, he optained the boat from the original co-owner who got the boat new in 1967. I say co-owner because the boat is owned 40% by the canadian governament. it has an engraved serial that atteste to this.

my problem is the first owner is long deseased, boat registrations have never been transfered to the gentlmen selling me the boat.

first let me say this is an honest man and the boat is in no way a scam, he simply neglected to do the transfer many years ago and have not felt the need to do it, hes don serveys and have sailed numerous time to usa on lake ontarion and never had problems.

he says that I should aply for permition to change the boats name as the govenrnement owns 40%.

all this seems so complicated to me, is this a simple matter or should I be concerned?
what will I have to do to get my documents in order?

thanks
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 13:37   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I think you need to see a lawyer.

Seriously.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 13:45   #3

yes I think you ar right

is there anyway I can inquier with the serial number?

befor I go into legal expenses
Old 17-08-2010, 14:38   #4

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
How does the Canadian goverment own 40% of a vessel??? Did the government finance it? Something does not sound right here. An attorney is certainly in order in this situation.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:52   #5

Boat: 33ft sloop
Ask him for the docs he can produce and contact the particular governmental body that owns the other part of the boat.

En Francais: Contactez avec tous les documents concernant le bateau le propre departement du Gouvernement et demande eu comment finir le contrat
d'achat.
C'est moin cher et plus facile.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 16:22   #6

all this has raised a few red flags, I will ask that all proper documents be produced and investigate about the 40% ownership.

Thanks for your opinions, you may have saved me money I dont have to spare.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	18525  
Old 17-08-2010, 17:03   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
That's the official number of the boat and the tonnage. This is required to be cut into a main beam in the boat (archaic language, now what most folks do is glue a plaque on the boat). It is a Canadian registered vessel and you can get details of ownership . Go to this website for instructions. I would check this out before going to the expense of a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions - Registration of Vessels - Vessel Registration Office - Operations & Environment - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada
Old 17-08-2010, 18:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
That's the official number of the boat and the tonnage. This is required to be cut into a main beam in the boat (archaic language, now what most folks do is glue a plaque on the boat). It is a Canadian registered vessel and you can get details of ownership . Go to this website for instructions. I would check this out before going to the expense of a lawyer.
Frequently Asked Questions - Registration of Vessels - Vessel Registration Office - Operations & Environment - Marine Safety - Marine Transportation - Transport Canada

Not looking too good: Vessel Registration Query System

Did the original importer neglect to pay the taxes on it?
Old 17-08-2010, 18:45   #9

Boat: Downeast 32
LOOK OUT When I bought my boat at a lien sale I thought oboy. But as I went to redocument the boat I found out the HIN was wrong from the first date of sale. The title had a wrong HIN# on it and the USCG Doc had the wrong HIN on it. it took me a year to get everything right. I did it all myself so did not cost me, but a lot of time and paperwork. It is now titled and documented in my name with all the right #s
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 22:01   #10

thank you guys
the date fits with what the owner said, he optained the boat and never bothered with its transfer.
i see no reasons not to proceed with this transaction, a little bit of red tape is no warst then some elbow greas.

i cant believe how this forum is usefull, a place with so much information on the press of a button is comforting to say the least.
Old 17-08-2010, 22:59   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
i see no reasons not to proceed with this transaction, a little bit of red
I see plenty reasons not to go ahead with it untill you know for absolute certain you have 100% title, all taxes have been paid and the registration suspension has been lifted.

It may be funny to buy a boat but you then get into a very serious legal situation. Its not like a car.

If someone else has lied about this boat by not transfering it you must wonder why they have done this criminal act and why you woul;d be silly enough to come in after it.

I'm not pulling your leg here. Get it looked at properly.

In my country (Australia) if the tax was not paid 10 years ago then not only would the tax be payable but maybe also a fine and interest for each year the tax was not paid. You could be up for quite a few dollars.

So have it properly checked out.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 00:16   #12

iv forwarded these links to the seller and asked him to clear ownership so we can mouve on with this deal.

thats what i meant by going on with the transaction, all is good if every one is working in the same direction and progresing.

needless to say if somthing is wrong the deals off.

cheers
Old 18-08-2010, 00:25   #13

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Get on the front foot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
the boat I am optaining has been sailed 20 years buy the gentlmen who is selling it to me, he optained the boat from the original co-owner who got the boat new in 1967. I say co-owner because the boat is owned 40% by the canadian governament. it has an engraved serial that atteste to this. My problem is the first owner is long deseased, boat registrations have never been transfered to the gentlmen selling me the boat.
I'd start by sending the Canadian government a big fat invoice for 40% of all the repairs, marina fees and cleaning expenses done over the years and of course a healthy management fee on top. You can even quote the serial number of the boat. You'll probably get a letter back saying how and when they disposed of the asset because they keep records of this kind of stuff. This might help clear up ownership issue a bit. Or you could be unlucky an just get your invoice paid.

Greg
Old 30-08-2010, 22:36   #14
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
If you run that number through the search it says that that boat has been suspended form the registry. That in simple terms means it is no longer registered in Canada. If woulkd certainly not go any further until the seller can supply all of the ownership documents. There could be liens on this boat and if you buy it you will end up owing money to the lien holders.

get the facts before buying!
Old 02-09-2010, 14:27   #15

I did not take the chance and optained an other similar boat with proper documents, thanks for all the advise and tips