Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 09:21   #1

Boat Airbnb insurance?

Hey All -

Hope the winds are blowing in your favor.

Been looking into putting the boat on Airbnb for the summer. However have not been able to find any insurance (yet) to cover just the boat being rented as a hotel / bed and breakfast. It would not leave the slip.

I saw that boatbound provides insurance but only if rented through their platform. I am not interested in allowing people to take the boat in and out of the slip.

Anyone been down this path? Tried Boat US and All State so far but thought I would ping this knowledge tank prior to spending more time on the phone / email.

Thanks in advance.
jpeac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 11:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Boat Airbnb insurance?

Other than Airbnb's insurance I doubt you will find it short of looking at commercial insurance.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 20:15   #3

Re: Boat Airbnb insurance?

While I use Airbnb, I would never consider being on the selling side unless it is a pure rental property (ie: in a popular area rented for most weeks of the year) for just this reason. Pretty much any non-commercial insurance is going to exclude commercial uses and commercial insurance is too expensive if you just have an occasional rental.

I doubt you will find insurance willing to account for the idea it won't leave the dock. It's just too small of a market. Also, it's way too easy for a non-boater to do something stupid and sink the boat (ie: not realizing it, they kill the power to the bilge pumps on the way out but leave the water connected and a water fitting fails)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance