Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 17:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Best Value for Dollar in Sailboat?

Thinking I knew the boat I wanted- I began studying everything available about Tartan 37's and perhaps T-37-2's. Then I read some posts on another thread from devout and happy Hunter owners. There is also more than one Bene fan.

So I am now back to square one. Assuming one had $110K that would go towards a purchase and $10-15 to update. Is it better to get a 1989 T-372, coat the bottom (to prevent any chance of issues), redo the rigging (it is assumed to be needed) and go from there? Or is it better to get a 2006 Hunter 36 with AC, etc? The Hunter both displaces and ballasts 2,000 less. The Beneteau 361 is in the same size and price point. Of course if I get a T-37, I have more money in my pocket and could probably add the AC!

Having been on a T-37, Bene and a Hunter, I know that workmenship of the Hunter leaves a lot to be desired. The Bene's well there is passion on both sides of that one, but thier workmenship is decent.

I am very handy, but short on time. Minor repairs, that can be done in a day or two will not scare me. Retirement is 4-5 years away, so this boat will be used in coastal (this side of Gulf Stream) SE Florida and an occasional run to the Bahamas. Once I stop working full time I hope to cruise and could re-evaluate the boat. It would appear to be more prudent to get a slower cruising boat then and a faster semi-cruising boat now.

Are there any former Hunter/Bene owners who left the flock to buy another brand? If so why?

Life-cycle-costing is standard that is often used in other arenas. If the classic plastic will age more gracefully then the newer, that would make sense. But the Tartan, Bene and Hunter are all cored hulls. Corbins, etc with solid hulls appear to need too much draft for my needs.

Curious to hear the thoughts of those who have wrestled with this dilemma.

Thanks

Bill

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:20   #2

Boat: CS36 Traditional
Re: Best Value for dollar in Sailboat?

We have an '82 CS36 which we are quite happy with.

CS36 Yacht Review

Solid hull, well constructed, respectfully laid out and good sailing vessels. They can be found typcially in eastern Canada, northeast states in the $60-70,000+ range for the shallow draft version (we have the deep draft which is cheaper). That is less than you state but then it gives you a lot of room to update. The newer Merlin models (about 10K more) have aft cabins and more modern layouts but I have heard they are not as well constructed.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:36   #3

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Trying to use "value for money and sailboat" in the same sentence is an exercise in futility. Boats are horrible investments. Buy the boat that you LOVE, opinions of others be damned. If you don't love your boat you will resent every dollar you spend on her, every hour you work on her, every time something goes wrong. If your boat makes your heart skip a beat when you look at her, every dollar, every bit of time will bring a happy smile to your face.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:52   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

I like the Opti. They are not pricey, fast and stable.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 18:52   #5

Well said Mimsy, I feel that way about My 432 Beneteau. The only thing I resent it that I can't sail all year on the Upper Chesapeake,nothing to do with the boat just where I choose to keep her.......
So Snore, buy what you love in a boat, not what others love to tell you.
There is good advise on this Forum, but most of us are a little bias in our opinions. Learn everything you can about what you want and make an informed decision.

Good luck to you and keep us informed

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:33   #6

Boat: Privilege P43

We moved from mono to multi about 15 years ago. However, we'll never forget our first sailboat; it was a 1976 Morgan 41 OutIsland 416 tall rig sloop. (Ketches were known as dogs in the charter trade, but the sloops with 55+ ft masts would really sail). Shoal draft (4ft) keel, solid hand laid f/g hull, stiff, absolutely bullet proof. Like a Boeing 747, it was bigger on the inside than the outside. Made a couple trips across the Gulf of Mexico and more cruises thru the Bahamas that I can remember. Motored at 6 to 7 knots and sailed hullspeed (8.3) on numerous occasions. Great boat for the money and many of the pre-Catalina models are still selling for more than their original cost.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 20:37   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

You are comparing totally different boats made for totally different purposes. It sounds like you might want to spend some time learning about both sailboat purposes and your own needs before doing anything.
Parenthetically, I own two boats, one being an Alden which is among the most well made in the world and the price reflects that and the other is a Hunter. It may not yet be clear to you but for my purposes, the Hunter is by far the best boat for my needs, requires much less maintenance, is almost equally well made and much cheaper.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:11   #8
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445

Rather than trying to buy "your last boat" you should buy a boat you love. One that you will sail a bunch, the more you sail her the more you will learn about what is important. So, if you ask me, buying a boat in better condition now is the right thing to do. My boat is a 2002 Hunter 326, I work 50+ hours per week, and I sail 40+ days a year, and about 3 years to go to retirement. What I find is that I work to sail, not to work on the boat. I work on it when I have to, but I don't have much time to do that, so, many times I have to pay to get it done. I have done, or am doing some pretty good upgrades on my boat. For example, replace two old 12 volt batteries with 1 12 volt for the start circuit and a pair of big 6 volts for the house loads. All AGM which means a new charger. New Radar, and sonar, and as soon as I get the nerve up, a spinnaker.
I also take classes at the local US Power Squadron, Piloting and Advanced Piloting so I understand what I am looking at on the chart, the classes are taught by local people who like messing around in boats, and the cost is pretty low.
So, bottom line buy the boat you can sail this week. Then go sailing.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:27   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

A boat 30yr or so old will be past the depreciation curve and going back up.
You won't ever get you money back out of it what with upgrades and maintenance but you are likely to make back at least what you paid for it.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 01:30   #10

Boat: looking
Re: Best Value for Dollar in Sailboat?

I'd suggest keeping a larger amount aside for upgrades/maintenance, because there are always lots of "deferred issues" that show up & usually factors that one forgets about.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:12   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

Unless you are getting a brand new boat my vote is to always get the newest boat you can for the price.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:25   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Thinking I knew the boat I wanted- I began studying everything available about Tartan 37's and perhaps T-37-2's. Then I read some posts on another thread from devout and happy Hunter owners. There is also more than one Bene fan.
So I am now back to square one ...
You thought you loved your wife; but then read about some other folks who loved theirs. Based upon that, should you rethink your marriage?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 05:07   #13

Boat: Hunter 36
Send a message via Skype™ to twellsjd
We sail a 2004 Hunter 36 and love it. Hunter is production boat but with a little attention by owner we have made it great for our needs. After a half dozen years of sailing Lake Champlain and down the Hudson to Long Island we are just now wandering south. Eventually we will go to Bahamas and beyond. I guess we will find out how it functions offshore then. Good luck with your decision.
twellsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 12:51   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. While I understand the feeling of buy what you like, that doesn't work for me. I love the look of a Cabo-Although I have the resources to maintain ALL that teak, I am unwilling to commit them. Yup just to #%# cheap. $100 bar bill no problem, blowing money to have someone do the woodwork- big problem.

Gordo- I love my wife of 35+ years very much. But that is because I knew what I was marrying. Boat shopping is like when we were first dating- except there is no.......

The comment regarding the classes was well said and well intended. Having navigated at night, without a GPS using only a (gasp) paper chart, a compass, my watch and judging speed off the wake- I think I got that down pretty good. FYI dividers are over rated, the pinkie and index finger work just fine!

Adelie- Spot on thanks!

Once again thanks to all for their insight.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat