Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 22:53   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Best resale in Oz

You want a boat that appeals to a club level racer on a budget and in the 32 - 35 ft size bracket. A specially designed full on cruiser won't sell. Here are a few

2007 Beneteau 10R Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - au.yachtworld.com

2008 Jeanneau Sunfast ( New Price! ) Sail New and Used Boats

2006 X-Yachts X-35 One Design Sail New and Used Boats for Sale
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 01:28   #17

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
Thanks for all the fantastic advice. It makes sense that the best sellers will be those "big name" brands that are well known here.

I read elsewhere that you will only be charged GST on the delivery costs from your last overseas port, which might only be a couple of hundred bucks of provisioning in Noumea.

This FP 38 looks sweet: http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=76197&url=

Am I right in thinking you could get 200 mile days out of boat like that in following trade winds? 40 days or less from Panama to Sydney non-stop (not that I'd want to do it non-stop)?

I dont think that is unreasonable. Its only an average of 8.5 knots-ish over 24 hours. Fine in the trades. But perhaps not 5 degrees above and below the equator when the winds will be fickle and on the nose from time to time.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 01:32   #18

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
I read elsewhere that you will only be charged GST on the delivery costs from your last overseas port, which might only be a couple of hundred bucks of provisioning in Noumea.

This will answer that question for you.
importing a yacht

and this will help with entry planning
information for yachts travelling to australia - arrival
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:31   #19

Boat: Westerly 43
Re: Best Resale in Oz

Thank you everyone for your insights. I note your comments that, while prices are massively inflated in Australia, boats aren't moving much and substantial discounts can be negotiated.

It seems to me that boats in the U.S./Europe/Caribbean also aren't moving much. Is it a buyers market and does this also mean that buyers in those markets can negotiate substantial price reductions?
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 21:00   #20

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Quote:
Thanks for all the fantastic advice. It makes sense that the best sellers will be those "big name" brands that are well known here.

Yes you are correct GST is only charged on the delivery costs from the last port before entry into Australia.

This FP 38 looks sweet: http://au.yachtworld.com/core/listin...g_id=76197&url=

Looks pretty good the local FP agent Peter Cohen would be able to give you some help with this boat, don't be surprised if the boat has already sold if it's as good as it looks. The Cat market if far from dead in this price range, everyone is looking for a good cheap cat these days.

Am I right in thinking you could get 200 mile days out of boat like that in following trade winds? 40 days or less from Panama to Sydney non-stop (not that I'd want to do it non-stop)?
Sadly not, my Lavezzi 40 was down to mileages in the 90s getting to the Galapagos Islands last week. Hopfully it will improve in the trade winds but I think 200 mile days will be the best you get at the peaks not on the average.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 23:35   #21

Boat: Westerly 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Sadly not, my Lavezzi 40 was down to mileages in the 90s getting to the Galapagos Islands last week. Hopfully it will improve in the trade winds but I think 200 mile days will be the best you get at the peaks not on the average.
Hi Dragon Lady, I think your progress should improve drastically once you leave the doldrums. I am so envious of you being in the Galapagos, while I'm still at the planning/dreaming stage in chilly Canberra. At least I have the June long-weekend on my old Bounty 35 in Sydney to look forward to - it's keeping me sane at work.
Budawang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 23:49   #22

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

The Whitsundays and Airley Beach are full of cats. I have rarely see any for sale south of QLD.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 00:12   #23

It's the marina fees.

$$$$$$$$
Old 22-05-2011, 02:14   #24
Marine Service Provider

I looked at purchasing an FP Cat Tobago in Tonga. They had been clocking up around 160-180nm per day, on a trip from Austria. They claimed to be doing it with ease which was interesting.

You might struggle to get a decent cat for $150k US but they are around. If you could, I'd buy one right now, however a FP38 I think would sell well in Aus, there aren't many of them about for sale at decent prices. A Tobago would sell well and they are around $120k+ in the US or thereabouts. They seem to sell quickly in Aus as they are foreign made and AREN'T balsa core. One sold 6 months back for AUD$240k, but that was before the dollar went crazy.

That Athena link is an EXCELLENT price. There's not much around in that bracked and FP 38's are few and far between. My comments are that there is no mention of engine hours and I suspec that they might be quite high and it really needs a hard top Bimini, but otherwise a nice looking machine, I might just have to email them :-)
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 17:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Sequoia View Post
The Whitsundays and Airley Beach are full of cats. I have rarely see any for sale south of QLD.
Not so there are quite a few cats in Pittwater and they are growing all the time, my mate is commissioning a new Lagoon at the moment.
Maybe there will never be as many as Queensland’s but the numbers are growing.
You are right about the moorings and marina berths; they are quite hard to come by in cat size these days.
Old 22-05-2011, 17:13   #26

Quote:
Hi Dragon Lady, I think your progress should improve drastically once you leave the doldrums. I am so envious of you being in the Galapagos, while I'm still at the planning/dreaming stage in chilly Canberra. At least I have the June long-weekend on my old Bounty 35 in Sydney to look forward to - it's keeping me sane at work.
Thanks for the encouragement, unfortunately I’m not with the boat, like you I am in Australia far from the tropical sunshine.
Old 23-05-2011, 08:10   #27

HI there, I am based in St Martin and the Fountaine Pajot agent here ..all the comments seem very fair about Cats versus Monohulls and there is no doubt you would find the comfort and passagemaking ability of a Multihull superior to that of a monohull fo the same size..finding the right boat is the issue but there are some around..I have a very good Athena 38 for sale ..a bit above your budget but then that is the asking price!
There are many monohulls that suit your budget and are certainly well enough equipped for what you want ..but can not advise re the value when landed in Australia..if you want to know more send me an e mail with your exact requirements and let me see if an ex Australian borker living in St Martin can help? I worked a bit with Dragon Lady and have also worked with others off Cruisers Forum
oxmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2011, 19:29   #28

Those Australian borkers are a pretty dodgy lot.
Old 23-05-2011, 20:19   #29

Some maybe, but you don't tend to last long in a competitive industry like boat brokering if you do the wrong thing by your clients as word spreads fast.
Oxmetal was a life saver for me when my deliver skipper deserted me.
As for resale in Aussie I noticed in the latest Australian Multihulls magazine there are a few late model Lagoons advertised for $380K which I think is a bit cheaper than what they have been so prices appear to be dropping but only about 10%.
Old 23-05-2011, 20:27   #30

Looks like that Athena has sold and so has the other cheap one that had been on the market for about a year.
If you want something under $150K USD you'd better move fast when it comes on the market.