Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 03:02   #61
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Avoiding a Hidden Project Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
What about a "halfway through project" boat? Looking around at listings for boats from the 80ies I often come across boats with a story like this:
1st owner buy boat and keeps it for 20+ years.
2nd owner buys it, and starts upgrading all kind of stuff on the boat but...
2nd owner somehow decides to sell boat after 5-6 years.

I saw for example a listing for a boat that had recently had hull and deck painted, had all running gear replaced and a new engine installed, but that also mentioned a lot of stuff that still needs fixing. Am I right in thinking that such boats could be a good deal?

I would want a really good and thorough survey on that boat. There's some assumptions here -- that what's been done has been done well, for instance. Who put the engine in? Just because there's a new engine doesn't mean it was installed properly. I know someone who put in his own engine but didn't put in an anti-siphon loop. After 2 years -- the boat needed another new engine. Did they paint the hull themselves? Did they know what they were doing? Was the deck prepared properly before being painted, or is all that paint going to come up? Seems very strange to me to go to the expense of putting in a new engine and then give up on the boat.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:23   #62

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

I would want a really good and thorough survey on that boat. There's some assumptions here -- that what's been done has been done well, for instance. Who put the engine in? Just because there's a new engine doesn't mean it was installed properly. I know someone who put in his own engine but didn't put in an anti-siphon loop. After 2 years -- the boat needed another new engine. Did they paint the hull themselves? Did they know what they were doing? Was the deck prepared properly before being painted, or is all that paint going to come up? Seems very strange to me to go to the expense of putting in a new engine and then give up on the boat.
This is exactly what happened to a project I recently bought. Competent O bought and worked too solidly on it for four years. Buggered, personal issues and just quit. Did not want to know any more about it and walked off the job. Happens all the time. Seen a few threads on CF about exactly that scenario.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53   #63

Re: Avoiding a Hidden Project Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zindab View Post
During repaint and anti foul one year a young couple was having a survey done on their prospective new Boat,after 2Hr survey they received the good news that the boat had blisters on the Hull and rot in the decks.Later at the Bar I spoke to the couple and they spoke of their disappointment on the report and that they could live with fixing the rot in the Deck but that the osmosis scared the hell out them,I had a good chuckle and advised them to read up on osmosis and have another look at the Boat. Next day I had a free carton of piss and the couple bought the Boat the Surveyor had it 50% correct.(The Boat was Steel) No Joke.
Ahh.... yes... another surveyor enamoured with a moisture meter reading the moisture in the paint!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote