Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 03:09   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Aussie Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben373 View Post
There is not much choice anymore and you will find club marine the cheapest. However if you have a claim they can be mighty mean.
I have a contrary view, excellent claims support but not the cheapest. YOUI have just started on boats and are offering ridiculously cheap premiums, of course no claims history yet. Nautilus has also been not the cheapest lately but excellent service
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 15:45   #17

No wonder so many decide against insurance. With so many hidden clauses , they have beat me . And I am not even religious .
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 16:09   #18

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Claiming an act of god seems strange. Wouldn't most boat claims be for "acts of god" i.e. storms and such?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2014, 14:32   #19

Ended up going with Pantaenius. Their premium was Ok, compared to others.
I talked to a guy who made all sorts of clauses that I still don't understand, I just really hate this business, and have a good mind to be like probably 90% of boat owners , No insurance. Wonder what the ratio or percentage of boats out there that are actually at berth in a marina , and insured.
To my lack of knowledge and confusion, the boat is insured for fire , theft , grounding , recovery etc , unless the mast or rigging fails , then I am on my own , as it is over 10 years old .
So , if I accidentally run aground , do major hull damage , and in the process the mast falls , I'm not insured .
I offered to get a rigging report, but he simply played hard ball.
The way I see it . You have a nice big boat , less than 10 years old , in perfect condition where if you are unlucky on the 3 weekends a year you use it , you come unstuck , or run into someone etc, they want you . With their premiums so high , they don't need thousands of boats in their cover, they only want boats that have minimum opportunity for claims.
The litigation in this country has turned to crap, and these clever pricks know how to use words to their advantage.
He sure didn't like all my questions, changing the way a sentence could read to prove it could suit them .
They sure did take the joy out of boating , and I hope like hell , I never need to claim
Old 25-03-2014, 01:48   #20
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 14:14   #21

Ok , changes. I presently have gone with Pantaenius, HOWEVER , there is a 14day cooling off period which I have now asked to exercise until I look further into another insurer.
The reason being , I rang Youi, who seem to have quite a good premium, and not many limitations.
There are so many clauses that could change the outcome of any insurance , mostly for yachts is , maintenance , they can claim almost anything here, to say you were negligent. Bluddy scary.
The other issue I found was that Youi will only cover you for up to 25k for rescue , towing etc, this simply does not seem enough if unfortunately you land on a reef ,especially inAU . I'd imagine the cost to be tenfold .
Are you expected to pay for emergency services , I would think so.
What are your thoughts on this . The premium is hundreds cheaper .
Old 01-04-2014, 01:43   #22

Change of heart, got sick of waiting for Youi to get back to me with clauses that I wasn't sure of .
Pantaenius it is for now . Even though will not insure mast and rigging.
Next year , no insurance , watch out everyone , I'm coming through.

Tags
insurance