Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2011, 11:36   #1

Any Input Is Appreciated

Hey Cruisers,
Sorry for another post along the lines of boat selection, but the other posts I have been following don’t address my specific questions. The more I read them the more my mind changes of what I need.
We are a couple looking to sail in the Bahamas and Caribbean. We are moderate sailors with tons of hours on the water in power boats, i.e. I am a commercial captain she is a scuba instructor. We have a tight budget, about 15,000 for the boat it could be more but I would like not to be if possible. We have looked at many boats in the 30 to 40 ft range but have not found anything we like. The 35 and up have been so old and crappy I just could not let myself spend 10,000 plus on something that is barley in sailing condition. The 30 to 35 have been newer and nicer but a bit tight. We live in Key Largo. Thanks
My questions
Do I need a blue water boat for this trip? ( I have a chance at a Morgan 33 or a Catalina 35, would they work)
Do you recommend a brand?
Are boats built in the 70’s worth buying and safe?
Why are all these junky boats so expensive when there are so many of them?
Can I find a sailboat that is in sailing condition, not long term cruising condition, in my price range?
Do all power boaters feel this frustrated when trying to switch to sails?
Thanks, feel free to be brutally honest. I might just have to keep saving.
Thanks
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 11:57   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Any input is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
My questions
Do I need a blue water boat for this trip? ( I have a chance at a Morgan 33 or a Catalina 35, would they work)
Do you recommend a brand?
Are boats built in the 70’s worth buying and safe?
Why are all these junky boats so expensive when there are so many of them?
Can I find a sailboat that is in sailing condition, not long term cruising condition, in my price range?
Do all power boaters feel this frustrated when trying to switch to sails?
Thanks, feel free to be brutally honest. I might just have to keep saving.
Thanks
No, no, maybe, dunno, yes, yes, you are welcome
To find a bargain get a ticket (air) to the islands. Walk around and check up boats for sale.. Better chance to find a deasent cruiser from there.. owner got tired, broke, sick or worse and got to get rid of the boat before the marina fees make more than the boat..
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:41   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
No, no, maybe, dunno, yes, yes, you are welcome
To find a bargain get a ticket (air) to the islands. Walk around and check up boats for sale.. Better chance to find a deasent cruiser from there.. owner got tired, broke, sick or worse and got to get rid of the boat before the marina fees make more than the boat..
BR Teddy
Any suggestions?

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:50   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Reefdot,

Morgans and Catalinas are just fine for Caribbean. Only spend half your budget on theboat... keep the rest in the bank to deal with repairs, improvements etc.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 12:59   #5

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

More remote the better.. or with overprized marinas equally good. Earlier this month I was sailing Azores-Madeira-Canary. In San Sebastian there were several boats for sale, a couple of them I'd count as bargains. Down the route to Caribian are several spots worth to look.. Kap Verde, Brasil etc
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 13:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Any input is appreciated

Catalina 30, 1975, excellent condition. AP/VHF/Solar/Inverter/AC/Huge awning M/J/G/Sp. BVI Registered. $17,500US. 284-440-3192

Shame your at $15K.... this one could be interesting....
Alden-designed classic Bristol 35 sloop, 1974. New standing rigging, dodger. New '05: sails, Imron paint, through-hulls, head, Harken RF, bilge pumps, and electronics. Lovingly cared for. Proven bluewater cruiser. Epoxy barrier coat just done. Price reduced! $24,000 ybutt2002@yahoo.com

No personal interest or gain....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 16:14   #7

Thanks for the responses. Those boats sound great but a little high for me. I have found a few with similar descriptions in the 10k range but they haven’t been in my area so I haven’t seen them. I just got back from looking at a insurance owned blue water cruiser. The outside was nice but the inside had been gutted and it needed new rigging. The owner of the boat yard told me he thinks it would take 30 k to get it going again. I am looking for a boat that may only need hard work and a few grand. I am glad to know Morgan’s and Catalina’s could do the job since I see them in my price range often.
Old 30-11-2011, 16:49   #8

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Please forgive me if I don't sound helpful, but the type of boat you purchase at any price has thousands of variables and opinions. Then when you purchase your boat, even after going over her with a fine tooth comb before you plunk down your money, this boat that has blinded you with her possibilities, will alone have thousands of variables....You have to see her and love her a lot to put up with what you are getting into......It is very worthwhile for some and a curse for others. Only love will carry you through!
Capt.Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:11   #9

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424

Reefdog - remember that boats typically don't sell for their asking price. Depending on the sellers desperation, maybe 65-80%.
Also, Craiglist has a Caribbean/Virgin Islands list.
Sailboat Heritage 36' 1977
28' Pearson Trident
Southern Cross 31 1978
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 17:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
...owner got tired, broke, sick or worse and got to get rid of the boat before the marina fees make more than the boat.
Actually, there are a LOT of boats around Florida these days that precisely fit that description!

Honestly, though, any 35 foot boat that you find for $15k is going to need a lot of work. That's just the way it is. The 35+ foot boats that are well cared for, in good repair, and ready to go, are going to start at prices more like $30k or up. So, you either need to up your budget, or plan on spending a lot of time and money doing repairs.

But to your basic question, no you do not need a "blue water boat" (whatever that really means) to sail from Florida to the Bahamas and on to the Caribbean. I sailed a 23-foot trailer-sailer across to the Bahamas a couple of decades ago. You just need to do your research, prepare yourself as well as you can, be prudent, and pick your weather window.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:02   #11

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Catalina 30, 1975, excellent condition. AP/VHF/Solar/Inverter/AC/Huge awning M/J/G/Sp. BVI Registered. $17,500US. 284-440-3192

Shame your at $15K.... this one could be interesting....
Alden-designed classic Bristol 35 sloop, 1974. New standing rigging, dodger. New '05: sails, Imron paint, through-hulls, head, Harken RF, bilge pumps, and electronics. Lovingly cared for. Proven bluewater cruiser. Epoxy barrier coat just done. Price reduced! $24,000 ybutt2002@yahoo.com

No personal interest or gain....
Both these sound good, and nobody lists at the price they really expect to end up with.
Depending on the seller's situation, either of these could end up in your budget range.
Check them out and make an offer you can afford.

Nothing ventured nothing gained...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 18:26   #12

Re: Any Input Is Appreciated

Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I was thinking those prices weren’t that negotiable. Do you really think I could have a chance if I offered 8k to 10k below the asking price. This is one I am going to go look at tomorrow. It’s cheap, it works and its close by. I could start sailing locally on it, get used to it and still have lots of money for improvements. Any suggestions on this boat our buying one in conditions like this?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2711589392.html

Thanks
Old 30-11-2011, 19:16   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdog View Post
Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I was thinking those prices weren’t that negotiable. Do you really think I could have a chance if I offered 8k to 10k below the asking price. This is one I am going to go look at tomorrow. It’s cheap, it works and its close by. I could start sailing locally on it, get used to it and still have lots of money for improvements. Any suggestions on this boat our buying one in conditions like this?

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/boa/2711589392.html

Thanks
No, I would not take that out to the Caribbean. Better look for Catalina or Morgan and select the newest you can afford.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 19:50   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi

No, I would not take that out to the Caribbean. Better look for Catalina or Morgan and select the newest you can afford.

ciao!
Nick.
Huh? At 5600 bucks it seems like a steal. Definitely worth a look...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 20:07   #15

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Just FYI, the benchmark when I was shopping a year ago for a really nice, well equipped 40' cruiser was 100K. Not new, not the very very finest, just a good boat with plenty of equipment almost ready to cross oceans.
I got a 39 footer with lots of problems but a super solid blue water cruiser that I love for 20. We've put another 15 and 6 months into her and we're cruising and we don't worry about the boat's abilities. We haven't done any of the pretty stuff yet.