Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 11:33   #16

Re: Another Croatian VAT query

The boat was purchased for commercial use by a charter company. Most likely (since they charge you VAT) the VAT was reclaimed by the charter company. As they are now selling it on to a private individual they are obliged to add VAT to the sale price.

You are most probably from your description the owners of a EU VAT paid boat as long you have the proof of the transaction with VAT specified.

I would say happy sailing and no I don't think you can get reimbursed for the VAT difference between UK and Croatia.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 15:27   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I would say happy sailing and no I don't think you can get reimbursed for the VAT difference between UK and Croatia

Worth zu try in any case.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 15:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Croatian VAT query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Not always.

If an EU VAT paid vessel is exported outside the EU and sold, the boat can't re-enter the EU for longer than 18 months without the new owner having to pay VAT on the value of the vessel.

I'm searching for the source, but I'm pretty sure this is true, but am all ears if someone can point me to better news.
Only if sold to a non EU person after a set period.. and I believe its 3yrs overseas before the owner who takes it out is liable for re-import.. used to be 2yrs but heard somewhere it had been stretched.
I bought a French reg boat (2yrs in Caribe) in the Caribe and had no VAT problems however a US reg boat I bought from Moorings BVI was liable.
American boats however retain their nationality.. according to the US Customs.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 09:09   #19

Hello all,
Further to previous comments, does anyone know what the situation would be for UK resident taking over ex charter boat in Croatia when U.K. leaves the EU?
AM
ameehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 03:03   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

At the moment nobody knows what the arrangements between UK and EU will be. However, customs union seems unlikely so the likelihood is that UK will be treated like any other non-EU/EEA country residents e.g US, Australia, Kiwiland. So in that case temporary import without VAT applying for 18 months requiring the boat to leave EU for a day etc. For people, the 90 day rule would then apply if you are a non-EU/EEA citizen unless you have some form of residence permit. That is the worst/best case depending on your Brexit viewpoint.
In reality, who knows what deal may or may not be reached. I'm off to resurrect my Irish grandmother to get an EU passport!
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 03:34   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameehan View Post
Hello all,
Further to previous comments, does anyone know what the situation would be for UK resident taking over ex charter boat in Croatia when U.K. leaves the EU?
AM
Easy - like before the EU. The process is a logic one. If the seller gives u an invoice with VAT yo can get it back on export clearance.

Entering England, which will not be in the UK in near future as scotland and ireland will continue to be EU members, you have to make the import clearance at HM customs and pay the VAT according to the invoiced price and a surplus for the transport to Englands Border.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 03:55   #22

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Entering England, which will not be in the UK in near future as scotland and ireland will continue to be EU members, you have to make the import clearance at HM customs and pay the VAT according to the invoiced price and a surplus for the transport to Englands Border.
Good God, man, what on earth have you been smoking?

GORDON KNIGHT

Tags
Croatia