Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2010, 10:38   #91

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Ah yes, thats demorcacy in action. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, all voted for fair and square.

I was hoping Obama would kick ass and make changes but his hands are tied in the same way.

Your not alone in this, we have it this side of the pond too.
Old 29-07-2010, 12:15   #92

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrap View Post
I was looking at a 35ft sailboat in Marina Del Rey, CA on Yachtworld and one of the comments was that the slip was transferable to the new owners at $575 mo. Thats $6900 a year. And I'm moaning about my $2400 a year slip and winter storage fees for just having a place to float fiberglass in water.

Having lived in Southern Cal for most of my life I know that this is far from the most expensive. Dana Point and anywhere in San Diego is more.

And of course gas in L.A. is a doller more per gallon than here in the midwest but hey, thats not price gouging.

Maybe I should downgrade my dreams and face reality. Owning a boat is expensive. I know......"Supply and demand" and "If you build it they will come".

I should try and find a Rowboat Forum to join. They cany cost more than $75.

Just venting,
Ray

Don't vent so much that you open a hole in the bilge ... LOL!
Old 11-08-2010, 19:22   #93
Marine Service Provider

How much does it cost to cruise?

My wife and I are planning to retire to our boat and cruise until I'm too old to man the helm. I'm close to 70, but in damn good shape, and my wife is 58. Our last child has just left the nest. Our boat is paid for and I won't buy insurance, but I like to eat in a restaurant now and then and I like my beer a lot. I'm curious as to how much you contributors are spending on your cruising expenses. From there, I can calculate my own expenses up or down. We don't need a re-entry budget since we have a home paid for and some savings for old age. Our boat is older, but in good shape. She's a bit large at 47', but we seem to handle her just fine. What is the consensus on how much one should budget per annum for repairs, the occaisional slip or mooring fee, fuel and beer/food (or food/beer)?
Old 11-08-2010, 19:53   #94

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire to our boat and cruise until I'm too old to man the helm. I'm close to 70, but in damn good shape, and my wife is 58. Our last child has just left the nest. Our boat is paid for and I won't buy insurance, but I like to eat in a restaurant now and then and I like my beer a lot. I'm curious as to how much you contributors are spending on your cruising expenses. From there, I can calculate my own expenses up or down. We don't need a re-entry budget since we have a home paid for and some savings for old age. Our boat is older, but in good shape. She's a bit large at 47', but we seem to handle her just fine. What is the consensus on how much one should budget per annum for repairs, the occaisional slip or mooring fee, fuel and beer/food (or food/beer)?
Your my kind of Guy Davie......hope we get a chance to share an anchorage someday..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 19:59   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...for a 50' slip is $800 per month, utilities not included. And there's a three-year long wait list you've got to make it through to get one. And chances are, once you manage to get one, you won't be able to make it out of your slip on a minus tide.
Dang John....try my neck of the woods. I do think its cheaper here, but filling up quickly.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:56   #96

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
No easy answer to that, but this thread has quite a bit of info that might be helpful ....http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nth-42283.html
Old 12-08-2010, 07:37   #97
Marine Service Provider

Thanks, Zeek!
Old 20-08-2010, 00:28   #98

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
That price sounds typical for SoCal, but there are somewhat better deals. You might try someplace a little more out of the way. SoCal has lots of boaters and some big marina corporations that like the idea of re-building their marinas with fewer and bigger slips so they can charge yet more, from what I've heard. San Francisco is chillier but does have some area with more reasonable marina rates. Some yacht clubs control their own slips but I have no idea whether you'd be ahead at some of those after paying the initiation fees and dues.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 13:54   #99

Boat: Searay 380DA
Slips in Northern CA are more reasonable. We are in the Antioch Marina, where a 40' covered slip runs $300 per month, including water. I think they charge a bit more for liveaboards. A slip of this size, uncovered, would run over $1000 in Newport Beach!

I think you are only taxed on the mud if you are in a municipal marina. Private marina's pay the tax themselves. I pay about $100 per year for that mud.
Blender Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 17:23   #100

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Blender Bo'sun, how do you like Antioch? We might be thinking about the Bay for a 35' sailboat next summer (4'11" draft, 34'8" loa, 10'0" beam, 48' mast clearance). Also, I'm curious; is Antioch far enough up toward the Delta country to be only medium brackish or is it still semi-salty tidal country?

And how much do property taxes run on boats in Contra Costa county? Is CC one of the more reasonable bay area counties or which county assessors in the area are more or less piratical to boat owners?
Old 31-08-2010, 18:23   #101

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well all I know is everyone else is getting richer by the day from our prospective lately...our paper boy looks pretty well off from here....dang this economy sucks!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 18:24   #102

follow on Antioch marina

...to edit what I said, it looks like the tidal range at Antioch is about 5 feet maximum, compared to about 8-1/2 feet in the lower San Fran Bay, and I'm guessing salinity might vary from fresh to about 1% (spring low tide vs. fall high tide, depending on how wet the year runs). $5.75 a foot per month for an uncovered slip sounds pretty darn good.
Old 02-09-2010, 14:48   #103

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender Boy View Post
... the Antioch Marina, where a 40' covered slip ...
What is a covered slip?

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:16   #104

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What is a covered slip?

barnie
A boat house
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:24   #105

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
CCC property taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
... And how much do property taxes run on boats in Contra Costa county? ...
It's approximately 1.1% annually.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote