Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 14:03   #76
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_the_first View Post
Ah, someone at the begining of this thread had mentioned that they have to pay taxes on the dirt under thier slip.
Oh, and I guess I should have said "younger" and not half my age. Half would definitely be creepy. very very creepy. Though I can't help but think that Judi Dench and I might creep a few others as well...

And I guess I just never hope to live in a place that charges over 1200 a month for rent on an apartment the size of a 35 foot boat.
Ok, I do remember that, but he also didn't specify if it was a slip he owned or not. I can't see how you can be charged taxes on something you're renting and don't actually own. It would be like paying property tax on an apartment.

I just did some real math to refresh my memory. As expensive as slips are here, they're still WAY less than rent. I'm going to be paying about $550/month for 37'. Average rent in NJ for a one bedroom is probably about $1100, although there are cheaper places. My last apartment was only $750/month ($780 now), but it was in the middle of nowhere and I hated it. Felt like I was stranded. Outside of that place, you'd have to live in a really bad neighborhood to pay less than $1000 for rent around here.

So, even with insurance and payments on the boat, I'm still only paying a little more than I would for rent.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 14:13   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Ok, I do remember that, but he also didn't specify if it was a slip he owned or not. I can't see how you can be charged taxes on something you're renting and don't actually own. It would be like paying property tax on an apartment.

I just did some real math to refresh my memory. As expensive as slips are here, they're still WAY less than rent. I'm going to be paying about $550/month for 37'. Average rent in NJ for a one bedroom is probably about $1100, although there are cheaper places. My last apartment was only $750/month ($780 now), but it was in the middle of nowhere and I hated it. Felt like I was stranded. Outside of that place, you'd have to live in a really bad neighborhood to pay less than $1000 for rent around here.

So, even with insurance and payments on the boat, I'm still only paying a little more than I would for rent.

That is encouraging. I guess I will just stay away from southern CA when I start looking for work again... if ever.
aj_the_first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 14:54   #78
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_the_first View Post
That is encouraging. I guess I will just stay away from southern CA when I start looking for work again... if ever.
Yeah, if I remember correctly, I think CA is the most expensive state to live in, followed by CT, NY, or maybe it was the other way around.

NJ is up there, but is at least 4th, maybe even a little lower.
Old 23-07-2010, 15:35   #79

Boat: Serenity
I am far from rich (closer to the other end of the spectrum).

I have a 29 foot Cal sailboat in a 35 foot slip in Marina Del Rey. I pay $490 a month for it. But seeing as I live aboard her and that is my only living expense, I think I got a deal.

I was paying that much to rent a tiny room in someone else's home with a shared bath and kitchen...and an actual 1 bedroom apartment in SoCal would have run me twice that at the least, not counting utilities.

Now if you are keeping the boat AND paying rent or mortgage, I can see how you would need to be rich.
Old 23-07-2010, 15:50   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrap View Post
I was looking at a 35ft sailboat in Marina Del Rey, CA on Yachtworld and one of the comments was that the slip was transferable to the new owners at $575 mo. Thats $6900 a year. And I'm moaning about my $2400 a year slip and winter storage fees for just having a place to float fiberglass in water.

Having lived in Southern Cal for most of my life I know that this is far from the most expensive. Dana Point and anywhere in San Diego is more.

And of course gas in L.A. is a doller more per gallon than here in the midwest but hey, thats not price gouging.

Maybe I should downgrade my dreams and face reality. Owning a boat is expensive. I know......"Supply and demand" and "If you build it they will come".

I should try and find a Rowboat Forum to join. They cany cost more than $75.

Just venting,
Ray
I really don't understand. You pay at Marina del Rey for the sake of being close to the megapolis. And you pay what -- $575 a month? Really, if that's a problem then you need to get away from the megapolis and to some other kind of place, where nobody is paying to be close to his highly paid work. I, personally, pay a large multiple of that amount, to keep my boat within commuting distance of London.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:59   #81

Boat: a sailing boat
It is all locale dependent. From free to 'if you ask, you cannot aford it'.

Maybe you can have a boat elsewhere?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 16:05   #82

It's not a 'dirt tax'. It's a 'mud tax'. It does not include the boat. It's the same as a commercial lease where the renter pays the property tax. It's usually a small amount. The boat property tax is paid separately.

Why would anyone want to be in LA? Or any like city. Disgusting.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 16:08   #83

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Yeah, if I remember correctly, I think CA is the most expensive state to live in, followed by CT, NY, or maybe it was the other way around.
I know they like to blame it on the illegals, but could this be part of the problem ...

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Bell California Emails Gone Viral; Citizens Protest $800K Salaries; City Manager Resigns; Can Anything be done about $600,000 Public Pensions?
Old 24-07-2010, 00:23   #84

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
If you want a slip where you have great weather year round and high paying jobs nearby, I think it will cost you. Except for Santa Barbara, not many good jobs and ultra expensive slips if you can find one. I guess you get to pay extra just to live near Oprah.
Ventura is just a few miles away and lots of slips in the $300.00-$500.00 range. Where I live the moorings are as expensive as the slips because there are very few slips that are bigger than 30'. Stupid. The Morro Bay City Council is trying to make everything illegal. We used to have a bunch of free moorings just outside of the city limits but the city went after Ca Fish & Game and pressured them to remove all the free moorings. I guess the city wasn't happy about the moorings that they couldn't collect taxes on. Mooring taxes are $30.00-$50.00 a month depending on how long the chain is. pi R squared X intimidation.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 17:07   #85

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
I am looking at Marinas in the New Orleans area. These are on Lake Ponchartrain, I will be signing a lease agreement for a slip next to New Orleans lakefront airport for $310 per quarter for a 30' slip which includes electricity, water, showers and bathrooms. There are plenty of slots available there, no live aboards are allowed there, but you can stay for the weekend. (Friday night through Sunday) The catch is there is nothing there you can walk to, they are planning to build a gas station, pump out station and a convenience store. 5-6 miles to the west (also in New Orleans) is another marina that has no openings, the waiting list is 5 years long and are not accepting applications. They have plenty of places you can walk to for meals, hotels, etc. I am looking forward to this once I get Vamos down there from Fort Worth, TX.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 19:01   #86
Marine Service Provider

NYC is about $700/month for a 36' slip (actually $4200 for the summer season). I'm 37' with the davits, so I'm thinking I'll try to squeeze into one of those next summer, if all goes as planned. Otherwise, I'll stay on the hook.

Same thing around here with the moorings. Maybe not as much as slips, but Atlantic Highlands, which is the beginning of the Jersey shore...the beach, not the bad TV show, wants $2500 for a mooring for the season. Needless to say, with the exception of being in the yard for a few weeks, I've officially made the move to the hook.
Old 29-07-2010, 06:15   #87

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
My last slip here in south FL was $1500/mo. Current one is barely a bit less. Just an fyi for any of you thinking about this area....
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 06:16   #88
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesloone View Post
Yachting is bloody expensive, either you can afford it or simply leave it...this I was told initially....pretty unfair but this is life these days !
Tell that to all the poor people who are out there doing it already. It's expensive, but there are ways to make it cheaper. #1 would be to avoid marinas like the plague.
Old 29-07-2010, 06:18   #89
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
My last slip here in south FL was $1500/mo. Current one is barely a bit less. Just an fyi for any of you thinking about this area....
Actually I am thinking about that area, but a mooring or anchoring.
Old 29-07-2010, 10:33   #90

Boat: Serenity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Illegals have nothing to do with why California is so expensive. You can make a laundry list of factors as to why California is so costly and in such poor shape economically. Trying to turn a desert into a livable metropolis just costs money for one thing. But honestly, the biggest factor these days are the insane number of ballot initiatives here. The people tie the governments hands by passing laws by ballot that restrict every point in the budget in one way or another. What it adds up to is a nightmare of twisted laws that makes zero sense and gets us all deeper into economic quicksand.