Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 16:23   #61

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Okay 10, Age does not matter. Enjoying sailing does. Thread drift? I would be happy to start at ten and start sailing. How many years to enjoy a great pasttime.
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 16:44   #62

Boat: Islander 37 'Taku Wind'
I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:54   #63

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
That's funny, you don't look 10

But if you are, you shouldn't have been offended in the first place, because if that's the case, you really can't argue that you probably at least have Cooties

You misread that, though. You need to read further up in the thread to understand.

If your age = x
What is (x - 5) x 2?
I gotcha now....

Anyway, to get back on topic, slips around can still be right around 1600 a season, and that's just on the lake.
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
small
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^

Thegirlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallywag View Post
Okay 10, Age does not matter. Enjoying sailing does. Thread drift? I would be happy to start at ten and start sailing. How many years to enjoy a great pasttime.
John
Hey, it's not my fault. I've just been following as the subject changed.

I agree, wish I started diving at a younger age too.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:33   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegirlis View Post
I gotcha now....

Anyway, to get back on topic, slips around can still be right around 1600 a season, and that's just on the lake.
Yes I know I'm dork.

1600 is a bargain. Is that a flat rate or do they charge/foot?

Around here you're not finding anything less the $100/foot just for the season.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:37   #66

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
It's a flat rate by size of the slip:
28' floating dock
$1,550.00
30' floating dock
$1,700.00
30' floating dock- single slip tie up
$1,825.00
36' floating dock
$2,250.00
40' floating dock
$2,500.00
45' floating dock
$2,900.00

Which means that even with a 22' boat you still have to pay 1550. Not too terrible, though, it's a really nice marina. We're trying to see if we can get a discount because we don't use their electricity or cable tv!
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
small
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^

Thegirlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:47   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrsn View Post
I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better...
It's always better to be rich and happy than poor and miserable
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36   #68

Our slip in San Diego is about $1200/month by the time we add it all up. It's a great marina, but the cost is obviously astronomical. Funny enough, we've actually seen marinas dropping their price in the last few weeks, as more and more slips become open. Right now we have about 10% vacancy, which is unheard of. Two years ago there was a 2 year wait list; my how things have changed.

Our few-years-out-plan has us moving to a ball, but there's a lot of self sufficient things we need to make that happen (breaking the shore power needs is primary).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:31   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
If I remember correctly the actual formula is half your age +5.

Damn, am I the only 20-something year old who falls tragically in love with women TWICE my age instead of half?
I just have a twinkle in my eye for those tough-as-nails broads who show every shot of whiskey and every cigarette in the wrinkles of thier eyes and the husk in their throats and wouldn't hesitate to hand-over-hand a 45lb danforth with no windlass in the middle of a Maine winter.
Innocent naiivety just gives me the limp rope. (I'm not afraid to say: I'm 28 and I'm in love Judi Dench)
Seems funny that I'm married to a 5'2" 95lb 27 year-old, but she is tougher than oak, and still lovely. Best of both worlds I guess.

Aaaanyway,
These slip prices seem insane. They are as much as rent in a decent apartment! and you still have to pay property taxes (on the boat AND the slip in some places!), pay for the boat, and pay insurance on the boat.

Where are the stupid cheap places? I was expecting to be able to tie up at the end of my voyaging in some town that I like and save a bunch of cash over getting an apartment, but seeing this it seems I may have to sell the boat. and move inland if I stop the voyaging lifestyle. (which I have yet to start by the way. See my original post in meet and greets)

Seriously, where can I stop on the US west coast when this is over?
Or, what European country can I get citizenship in the easiest so I can finally have affordable health care? (So I can spend money on better things, like food)
aj_the_first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:58   #70
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Our slip in San Diego is about $1200/month by the time we add it all up. It's a great marina, but the cost is obviously astronomical. Funny enough, we've actually seen marinas dropping their price in the last few weeks, as more and more slips become open. Right now we have about 10% vacancy, which is unheard of. Two years ago there was a 2 year wait list; my how things have changed.

Our few-years-out-plan has us moving to a ball, but there's a lot of self sufficient things we need to make that happen (breaking the shore power needs is primary).
WOW! NJ isn't the most expensive place on the planet?

We're not nearly as expensive as you are out there, but I don't see our prices coming down anytime soon. At least in the area I was looking there were only a few marinas with slips available, and all but one had only 1-2 opens slips. Also waiting lists were more like 4-7 years.

I just listed my microwave on Craislist...one step closer to breaking my shore lines
Old 02-03-2009, 13:12   #71
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_the_first View Post
Damn, am I the only 20-something year old who falls tragically in love with women TWICE my age instead of half?...Innocent naiivety just gives me the limp rope. (I'm not afraid to say: I'm 28 and I'm in love Judi Dench)
See! I'm not the one who keeps changing the subject. Could be because half your age is illegal...not to mention really creepy, even with the +5 is just barely legal?

Quote:
These slip prices seem insane. They are as much as rent in a decent apartment! and you still have to pay property taxes (on the boat AND the slip in some places!), pay for the boat, and pay insurance on the boat.
That's not necessarily true. Prices here are insane, but rent is even more insane. As much as I'm paying it's still way less than rent around here...with the except of the middle of nowhere or the ghetto. Where did you hear that one? How can you pay property tax on something you don't own? Or do you mean the marina is charging a ridiculous price to cover their taxes?

Quote:
I was expecting to be able to tie up at the end of my voyaging in some town that I like and save a bunch of cash over getting an apartment, but seeing this it seems I may have to sell the boat. and move inland if I stop the voyaging lifestyle.
Or just live on the hook?
Old 02-03-2009, 13:23   #72

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
(I'm not afraid to say: I'm 28 and I'm in love Judi Dench)

Seriously, where can I stop on the US west coast when this is over?
Or, what European country can I get citizenship in the easiest so I can finally have affordable health care? (So I can spend money on better things, like food)
You can have Judi Dench, if I can have Sandra Bullock or Connie Rice. (or both).

If you come to the UK you get free healthcare (mostly) without having to be a citizen. In fact, English people seem to be the minority in the hospitals here. That includes Doctors and Nurses. On my last visit, I saw an English nurse, and three different Doctors. One was Iranian, another Italian, and the Consultant was Polish. I never did understand what they had diagnosed as they all said it differently, and it sounded quite serious. Imagine my relief when I saw my local GP (MD) and he informed me that I was only suffering from insanity.

However, the Marinas are still expensive.

For your $1200 a month dock fee, you could buy a F*** off big anchor!

And next month you could buy a new tender.

And the month after, a new outboard......
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 13:25   #73

Ah, someone at the begining of this thread had mentioned that they have to pay taxes on the dirt under thier slip.
Oh, and I guess I should have said "younger" and not half my age. Half would definitely be creepy. very very creepy. Though I can't help but think that Judi Dench and I might creep a few others as well...

And I guess I just never hope to live in a place that charges over 1200 a month for rent on an apartment the size of a 35 foot boat.
Old 02-03-2009, 13:32   #74

Boat: Riviera 35
Me too aj. I think I will give San Diego a miss. If it's $1,200 a month for a 35ft boat, I'd hate to have to pay for the USS Nimitz !!!
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 13:38   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightShadow View Post
Me too aj. I think I will give San Diego a miss. If it's $1,200 a month for a 35ft boat, I'd hate to have to pay for the USS Nimitz !!!
Yeah, at the risk of insulting some people around here: San Diego is cool, but it isn't $1200-a-month cool.
Now, on the other hand, I would figure out a way to make ends meet if that $1200 was getting me a spot on a canal in Amsterdam or Venice or on the Spainish coast in Barcelona.