Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2013, 09:56   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Alcohol Stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I guess that makes me a complete idiot. Counting my sailboat, ski boat, dinghies and kayaks I have six.
....or how many I have owned in 35 years.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 12:54   #47

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

My choice was neither. I bought a Dickinsin Bristol yesterday. I get hot water, an oven, a cook top and a cabin heater with no alternate fuel source and only a single 12 volt (10 amp I think) circulation fan. I'm a little nervous doing something different than most of the folks on this forum, (newby jitters) but I think its best for me. What are the down sides to cooking with diesel? (other than a slight aroma)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 14:20   #48

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
My choice was neither. I bought a Dickinsin Bristol yesterday. I get hot water, an oven, a cook top and a cabin heater with no alternate fuel source and only a single 12 volt (10 amp I think) circulation fan. I'm a little nervous doing something different than most of the folks on this forum, (newby jitters) but I think its best for me. What are the down sides to cooking with diesel? (other than a slight aroma)

Diesel fumes give me headaches, and I'm probably not the only one. If you can smell them, you might consider installing an evacuation fan so you can suck the fumes out a dorade. For those times you don't have the hatches and port lights open.

Ann
Old 26-07-2013, 14:53   #49

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
[/COLOR]

Diesel fumes give me headaches, and I'm probably not the only one. If you can smell them, you might consider installing an evacuation fan so you can suck the fumes out a dorade. For those times you don't have the hatches and port lights open.

Ann
Thats my plan, fumes give me a headache as well.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:25   #50

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The diesel stoves I've seen only smell when turned off, an evacuation fane would probably help.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 16:55   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post

How did you know if you were only walking by? He was probably standing right over the stove pouring it, since many stoves are close to under the hatch. Or he was breaking the rules and pouring into a hot canister..
Empty cold canister, fumes poured out of the container wind took them to the lit stove. This is more than about the fuel, it is about transferring and storing the fuel also.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:15   #52

Boat: Catalina

OK, so I'm a proud new owner of a Catalina 27 and the old alcohol stove is still in the galley. However it's pitted an unloved. I plan on removing it and cleaning it up and am considering putting propane or butane burners in as a replacement.

Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone here done a retrofit ?

2) Is it easier to add an external propane BBQ and just leave the alcohol stove alone (assuming I can clean and repair it) ?

Would love to hear your thoughts.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:42   #53

Did it twice, once on a 27' installed a 2 burner stove and once on my 38'a new three burn with oven. Neither had the place for a large tank, so the 1 lb bottles was and is being used. They last long enough but I am working to build a spot for bigger. On the 27, I replaced a rebuilt alcohol stove. Alcohol does not burn hot enough, and the invisible fumes are dangerous.
Old 14-11-2013, 12:51   #54

Boat: Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
Did it twice, once on a 27' installed a 2 burner stove and once on my 38'a new three burn with oven. Neither had the place for a large tank, so the 1 lb bottles was and is being used. They last long enough but I am working to build a spot for bigger. On the 27, I replaced a rebuilt alcohol stove. Alcohol does not burn hot enough, and the invisible fumes are dangerous.
Thanks for the info. Have you considered something like this:

Linky 4.25lb tank. Looks quite small and would probably fit easily. Also a standard refill tank so no messing with disposable ones.
cruisingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 17:03   #55

Because the Pearson 385 had alcohol the boat doesn't have a lazeret that will hold bigger than the 1 pounder, maybe the 4.5 would fit. I can and will build in a safe propane packer but since we don't cruise yet, it isn't a priority. The 1 pounder last 2+ hours I think.
Old 14-11-2013, 19:47   #56

Boat: Catalina 27 std rig

Cruisingdog:
I have a Catalina 27 that had an alcohol stove when I bought it. Of course it didn't work, (dried out seals on pump) so I replaced it with a propane 2 burner installed with safety issues very much in mind. Sealed propane locker fits in the stern locker and vents down to the drain. With a 12v. solenoid in the locker and switch located by the companionway the stove works very well. My nose in the bilge frequently assures that no leaks are present. I lived aboard a 36 ft. Chris, Cav. for 5 years and cooked and heated the boat with propane. Be vewy-vewy careful with propane and you will find it safe and easy to use.
Eclipsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 20:40   #57

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Cooking on a decent propane range is one of the joys of cruising. A BBQ is nice too. If you can set up tank and hoses, as Eclipsed mentions above, then you can have one tank serve both. It is very handy and more economical to avoid the 1 lb canisters and use a big tank for all your cooking needs. My grill on the stern and Force 10 in the galley are connected to one tank, works very well.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote