Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2012, 14:30   #31

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Re: A Dream, but That's About It!

Folkboat is less than 8' beam (7'3"?), I believe, and 4300 lbs, so you shouldn't need permits. With trailer and gear, you'd need a truck that could tow 6,000 lbs comfortably -- any full size pick up or similar would do it. Probably looking at about 80 to 100 gallons of fuel one-way to go 1200 miles, depending upon the towing vehicle and your particular start and stop points, plus whatever level of food and lodging you need for the trip. A more adventurous option with some boats, depending upon your draft and such, would be river travel via Illinois, Ohio, Mississippi, and / or Tennessee-Tombigbee system.

Old 20-05-2012, 15:15   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44

Why not do it the other way round?

Start from the Western Caribbean and sail back to the states.

Buying the boat would be more difficult and buying costs would be higher, but you'd have the Gulf Stream to bring you home. Lot easier than trying to sail against it.

We had a thread on this a while ago. On first impressions there were no suitable cheap boats but a few members checked and there they were.

Old 20-05-2012, 16:55   #33

Boat: Bystedt, 30

"Is it safe to travel without a motor? If need be, could I do it?"

You started out as a dinghy sailor, so my answer is yes. It's not great for getting in and out of marinas or sailing upstream, but not impossible.

I sailed dinghies when I was younger and now I single-hand a 30' sloop out of Seattle with an unpredictable diesel engine. My hydraulic motor blew the first day of a 5 day adventure last month. On the last day I sailed happily back into the crowded marina with a full main and parallel parked between two expensive racing sloops, dropped the main, hopped off and tied the boat like it was nothing. The old-timers on the docks almost had a heart attack (of course, I look young and I have insane curly hair, so that could have been the cause of their concern).

In my opinion a sailor should be able to handle their vessel with the sails. But if you're%2
Old 20-05-2012, 17:08   #34

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilboua View Post
Hey all,

So after introducing myself on the meet&greet forum, I figured I would dive right in and ask for some advice. I am a 17 year old high school junior. I sail on a large lake for a high school team, mostly 420s and Lasers. Needless to say, I have no ocean sailing experience nor do I have any experience in a larger boat. Despite these limitations, however, I came up with a wild idea over the last few months. Sometime before I graduate next June, I want to buy a sailboat somewhere on the East Coast. After graduation, I want to work on the boat while sailing down the East Coast and ultimately ending up in the Caribbean. I have already been planning on taking a year off between high school in college, so I have around 14 months to move the boat down the coast and then island hop in the Caribbean. I will obviously be living aboard all the while. When its time to come back to reality, I will sell the boat and simply come home. (Unless I fall in love- then I have a contingency plan )
This is my (large scale) plan. Call my crazy, but I love sailing and was looking for a way to explore and escape on my own before entering undergrad.

Now comes the part that is much more important- the details. I have essentially one year to procure a boat, plan my trip, and learn as much as I can about open ocean sailing. So I have a few questions for y'all:

1) The boat. I was thinking something smaller, 24-28 feet. I have NO problem with taking on a working project- i.e. I can work on it while sailing it. I dont want to have to sit in port too long working on it, but I would if the deal/boat was right. I will be living aboard, so take that into consideration. My boat budget is around 4-5k. What models would you suggest I look at? Where is the best place to look online for a boat? Any resources (books, online articles/threads, etc) you suggest I look at on the subject?

2) The maintenance. I know there is an incredible amount of things that can be with a boat. What should I be looking for in a used boat in terms of condition? What is easily fixable, and what problems should I avoid like the plague? I am pretty handy, and my father (who sailed for 10+ years and is INCREDIBLY handy with anything, even electrical/engine/plumbing) can help if need be. Like I said, I have an excess of time, but I want to save on the $. That being said, what should I look for in a used boat? what resources exist that can teach me to repair boats?

3) Material. For some reason I desperately want a wood boat. Would that be a horrible choice as a first boat? Pros and cons between that and fiberglass? Remember I don't necessarily plan on keeping this thing forever- I need a cheap useable boat that can get me around the Caribbean safely for just 12 months. Even if I end up just giving it away at the end of the journey. Would I be better off going wood or fiberglass?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Here is a good list of boats from someone that has done it all before..

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

There's also a short film by a few friends that bought repaired and sailed the same places you want to go. Though I forget the name of the film I'm sure someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Good luck and fair winds.
Old 20-05-2012, 18:34   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Any small boat can be driven with a small outboard.

It is good to have some sort of engine to go into marinas and some anchorages. Also should one get stuck windless in a silly place like right in front of an oncoming train.

b.
Old 21-05-2012, 06:39   #36

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Also should one get stuck windless in a silly place like right in front of an oncoming train.
Dam those trains at Sea !
Old 21-05-2012, 10:04   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Yep. I wish they weren't there but they are.

Too me they are number 1 argument for having some sort of an engine.

Having seen both sides of the story I say if you have a cargo coming your way, run. They can NOT see you 9/10.

b.
Old 21-05-2012, 11:55   #38

Boat: Bystedt, 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
Not to mention ocean motorcycles!
Old 21-05-2012, 12:10   #39

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
IFs are way too expensive in the US. Look around if Albin prices are more agreeable. Some Vigens and Vigas make decent mini cruising boats. They are not as good as an IF, but they have been sailed places before. A trip to the West Indies should not be too big a thing for one.

PS Nay, checked Vigens - too expensive in the US again.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
(not to be used for navigation, generic example ONLY).

In a word, there are boats around.

b.
This Albin has a fin keel. Not same as Vega. Vegas are great little boats but probably out of $$ range for OP by just a bit. If he can find one in his range, will probably be too much to "fix-up. One Vega recently sold locally for 5g but needed at least that much more to get her ready for cruising.
Good luck!!

mm
Old 21-05-2012, 13:01   #40

Anyone know anything about Watkins boats? Specifically a Watkins 29?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: