What is useful is Financial planning and cashflow analysis.
Budgeting is a mere accounting record
, to pinpoint deviation from expectations.
My point is simply this: why detailing 25% of your expenses, when the remaining 75% is quite unpredictable in occurrence, amount, and need/urgency for remedy!?
You may have fun in knowing that spirits eat up more than food
more than fuel
But the real issue is
1) to have a war chest for emergencies
2) to phase-in big expenses (say >2000bucks) orderly.
I give you an example of relevance (since you all apparently fail to get me right):
Detailing the cost of vegetables v. beef/poultry sounds good if you eat basically at home.
It becomes a dull statistic, if you dine out twice a week...
The rest is nitty-gritty accountancy of little relevance, to me at least, OR... too much dependant on where you are , life-style, type of cruising