Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28   #61
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: 60 Feet on the Chesapeake

Sorry my bad. I tend to get worked up over nothing.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:41   #62

Boat: Island Packet 35
Congrats......I would be game also if you need hand moving her south to the bay? Where on the bay do you plan on berthing?
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:45   #63

no 100% place, but I am thinking of Cambridge MD, I could probably keep out at rolfs warf after I fix the decks but it would have to stay on a mooring as it is shallow at the dock. Any good inexpensive places close to Dover?
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 16:59   #64

Boat: Island Packet 35
I love your approach to this purchase.....no real plan but a dedication to your dream. Seriously I commend you and offer only one piece of advice - "don't let life get in the way". Let me know if you need a hand.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 17:07   #65

Thanks I appreciate that. I have a plan...just a very relaxed one. and its very flexible at this point. If I need some crew I will certainly look you guys up. right now I have two experienced captains but if we make the move non stop it might be nice to have a larger crew...thinking a couple of days straight sailing/motoring.
Old 05-03-2012, 21:11   #66

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Moorings @ Georgetown and the the DIY yard in the winter bro. Closest you'll get to Dover. 20 minutes away.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:07   #67

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
. . . Any good inexpensive places close to Dover?
Tolchester Marina Inc. Tel 410-778-1400. I have been there several times with my 60ft'r visiting friends who keep their boats there. Nice, out of the way, quiet marina and boatyard. See: Tolchester Marina in Chestertown, Maryland, United States - Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MD Tolchester Marina.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	38352  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:05   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Tolchester Marina Inc. Tel 410-778-1400. I have been there several times with my 60ft'r visiting friends who keep their boats there. Nice, out of the way, quiet marina and boatyard. See: Tolchester Marina in Chestertown, Maryland, United States - Home
Yeah, my bro-in-law's, bro owns that place, nice place. I like being 20 minutes away while I'm working on it, but the Kitty Night House, Granary, the pool, and really nice amenities made GYB a no brainer, not for just for me. My wife insisted. The Kitty's live music on the deck waif across the anchorage. She grew up around here.
Btw, we have about a dozen or so friends that put out at Duffy Creek (right across the river from GYB ) that we hop rides with for a day trip to Jellyfish Joels or Red Eyes . Always have room for more!! Anyway, just sayin'. I live very close to you and that's why I am using GYB.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:11   #69

Thanks folks..all good info, been on active captain reading up. Can't get Georgetown to call me back. Looks like a nice place though.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:58   #70

Oops my bad they did call me back.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:29   #71

So survey is set for the 22nd, looking at bringing the boat down on the 31st if all goes well. Right now I have 4 crew so I think I'm good, but if someone falls out I will be calling you guys. Going to Georgetown YB this weekend to check it out, they have a slip for me and that might be easier while I do some work on her. Pay up front for the year, discount, military...maybe discount, still have to talk to them about that.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:25   #72

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

A couple of suggestions for the sail bringing the boat down.

Get a good handheld VHF and take it with you. It is nice to have one radio in the cockpit that you know will work (on its own batteries) so if worse comes to worse and the ship's 12VDC fails you have communications. Along with the VHF a good cell phone with external antenna attachment. Should you need to call SeaTow or TowBoatUS, the cell phone works best. (Don't forget to enroll in unlimited towing with one or the other of the Tow guys).

Get a Fortress FX-55 and 150 feet of 3/4" nylon 3-strand. This can be stuffed in a bag for the car trip up there. And then kept on the foredeck assembled and lashed down good so winds and waves cannot inadvertently deploy it.) I had to use that exact same rig when moving my boat from the marina where I bought it to the Marina where I was planning to refit the boat. It will be a bitch to get it to sink and dig in due to lack of a chain leader, but it held my boat in an unexpected 40 kt gusting situation just inside a "pass/channel" that I could not completely traverse due to too little water depth further inside.

A West Marine or other brand telescoping boat hook - 6 feet to 14 feet (3 sections/tubes) like the Model # 7784267. I use it for two purposes, first as a classical boat hook and with its extra long reach you can drop lines over slip pilings very easy. AND, I fully extended mine and used a permanent laundry marker to mark of distances from the very end (hook end) every foot from 5 to 12 feet. When in poorly charted areas that you may need to anchor, you can fully extend the boat hook and plunge it down over the side of the boat, or stern, to get a real depth reading. Also the "feel" of the pole hitting the sea bottom will tell you whether you are in sand, soft/hard, rubble, rock or whatever. **If it is not possible or practical to get the boat hook - then 2 - ten foot lengths of the white 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe from Home Depot/84 Lumber/ etc. And then glue together Two lengths with a PVC coupling and end cap on one end works just as well for 100% confident depth readings when anchoring.

Those items I actually needed as with any "new to you" boat, things don't always work as advertised and having a few really basic things can take a lot of stress out of the experience. And there is always the "umbrella principle" - it you take the stuff with you then the installed stuff in the boat keeps working. That is why I keep the list really short - communications, emergency anchoring, and physical dip stick for water depth.

Oh, on the not so emergency list is a couple of charged replacement batteries for your digital camera, so you can take a million photos of the experience without worrying about draining the camera battery.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:27   #73

Nice! Ivans a really nice guy, runs the docks and Dave is another nice guy that runs the yard.
Can't wait to meet the brood!lol
Old 09-03-2012, 15:55   #74

osirissail thanks for all the info. the boat is fairly heavily stocked and we are going up on the 22nd for the survey. I will take your list and see what I am lacking. All the items you mention seem to have sound reasoning behind them and are added because of lifes lessons. I appreciate the wisdom.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58   #75

Thumbs up Re: 60 Feet on the Chesapeake

Made the trip out to GYB today and sailing associates across the river. And the winner is Sailing Associates. Sorry Bill, The slip they had me in at GYB would have been right behind the mooring field and the dock was a little shakey/narrow. Very close to the bath house however. Got across the river and it was a much homier feeling place and the dock is great. Super wide and they have huge pilings behind the slip to tie up on. Not as convienient for a haul out but I hope to not have to haul it often. The water there on the Sassafras is low salt so no critter build up. The slip is easy in and out with 15 ft of water, so deposit is paid, we have a vacation home (location) for the next 12 months. Now to just actually get the boat!