Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2015, 08:53   #31
GGT

Boat: Leopard 46
Re: 6 years of cost data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
I'm really interested in the data as I shall be moving aboard permanently in 6 weeks. Can't open the file though.... it says Excel (.xls) but then tries to open a php file. Won't open it on laptop or iPad. Can anyone help?
Same issue here, the file saves as a .php extension. To fix the problem rename the file and change the .php to .xls and it will open. You need to be able to see file extensions to do this hopefully you know how to do that.
GGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 22:25   #32

Boat: Passport 42

Thanks this is really good information, appreciate your sharing of it. It puts the whole cost issue in perspective, and I am sure as I explore the forum one will find similar people sharing their information, which helps us to put a cost to the dream. The only question I would have would be how many days did you spend in Marina's or what was the average price to stay in the marina's

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:00   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieKochie View Post
Thanks this is really good information, appreciate your sharing of it. It puts the whole cost issue in perspective, and I am sure as I explore the forum one will find similar people sharing their information, which helps us to put a cost to the dream. The only question I would have would be how many days did you spend in Marina's or what was the average price to stay in the marina's

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The marina cost really depended on where we were and the costs are all over creation. We always put the boat in a marina for traveling inland and trips back to the USA to visit family. We stayed in a marina in Trinidad for hurricane and while we could have picked a less expensive one the admiral had her say. In the Mediterranean now there are some place to anchor and some not and aging we do some inland travel so the boat gets a nice safe home.
We also stay in a marina for the winter in the Med.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:43   #34

Yes now i can see the spreadsheet. While i appreciate that everyone may have different requirements having 6 years of actual data is incredible. Thank you Chuckr
DerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:53   #35

Boat: Aloha 34

Wonderful information! Thank you so much for sharing
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 15:15   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Here is 6 years of cost data from full time liveaboard/cruisers. ALL expenses are included. This past year we sailed the Med so our marina costs went up a bit but our insurance went down as our insurance company lowered it as we were not doing the 2 handed crossing we did in 2013. We do a bit of inland travel as we see little reason to be here unless you experience what is available. This year included short trips around Sardina, a week in Rome, short trips in other parts of Italy, trips through Albania over to Macedona, then to Kosovo and back through Albania. We also put the boat in for a trip to Belgrade Serbia. We had to go in to Dubrovnik for a new mainsail and to get a contaminatd fuel tank cleaned. We also had to spend a bit more time in Brindisi to wait on a new alternator being shipped in. In 2014 we sailed over 3,000nm and made 31 ports of call in 6 months.
We both are in our very late 60s and live on social security. I did have to take a bit from the 401k to pay for the main sail but i will have to start withdrawing next year anyway. We do keep the boat in first class condition and do not mind spending the money on her and keeping her comfortable.
We do include the cost of flights back to the USA so see family as we view that as part of the cost of being out here. I the 2014 cost however there are not tickets as they were purchased in very late 2013 for 2014 travel and therefore in the 2013 cost. No we do not due accural accounting but cash accounting period.
Hope this helps.
and thanks to ex-calif for changing our old excel spreadsheet to something you can see but not sure if the graph he made came through.
Wow! Thanks so much.

As in land life, it is amazing how the little bits add up to so much.

Without looking at the nitty gritty details, I thought we could easily live on $2000/month. But I haven't seen anything in your expenditures that I thought was excessive. In fact, I'm sure I'll have a hard time living within your alcohol and dining out budget.

Thanks again, very eye opening.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 14:30   #37

Thanks for the information, it's very helpful.

I think I'll be drinking even more tea than I anticipated (at under £0.02p a cup - I'm taking 1,000+ teabags with me when I go for the boat to get me started, lol), less coffee, and a lot less alcohol (I don't drink much anyway, but had planned to optimise the health benefits better by drinking a fair bit more), and my plan to mainly anchor out (involving more investment in ground tackle) at every opportunity, that sort of thing, along with going for a smaller boat (32ft), plus single handing, should help a lot.

If CopperCoat does what it should, and helps prevent haulouts for 10 years, I'll be really happy.

The nice surprise was how reasonable (to me anyway) the boat maintenance and upgrade costs were, and for a 40ft at that!

Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote