Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2014, 03:08   #16

Boat: FP Bahia 46 catamaran
re: 5 Years of Cost Data -

Chuck,
many thanks. As others have said very useful for planning. I suspect that cruising the Med will create quite a big jump in dockage fees and travel costs - plenty to see in land !
Catnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 04:30   #17

Boat: Traditional 30

At a mere 4.5- 6%, clearly not enough was spent on alcohol. Go back and do it all again
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 23:59   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairweatherTony View Post
Chuck,
I suspect that cruising the Med will create quite a big jump in dockage fees and travel costs - plenty to see in land !
one of the things everyone told us before we left the carib was we could not afford the med -- of course people have told us a lot on a lot of stuff that we ignored and later found out simply wrong -- while we think it will cost us more it will be interesting to see how much more --

but the greek problem is giving us some issues - we will see how that plays out this year before passing judgment - and will sail italy and coatia and albania before wintering over in tunisia again --we really love tunisia
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:41   #19

Boat: Morgan OutIsland 41, Ketch

Hi Chuck,
Thank you so much for posting that information - really appreciate it! We have been looking for current numbers for awhile. We plan on sailing south (from Canada) this fall to poke around the Bahamas and Caribbean for our first winter...

By the way, did you find decent prices for labour / parts in any particular locations in your travels? I am guessing that the high tourist areas are not as good price wise than the out of the way locations.

Safe journey on your next adventure.

Pat & Mike
SV Matilda
mcfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 23:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfirth View Post
Hi Chuck,
Thank you so much for posting that information - really appreciate it! We have been looking for current numbers for awhile. We plan on sailing south (from Canada) this fall to poke around the Bahamas and Caribbean for our first winter...

By the way, did you find decent prices for labour / parts in any particular locations in your travels? I am guessing that the high tourist areas are not as good price wise than the out of the way locations.

Safe journey on your next adventure.

Pat & Mike
SV Matilda

the cost of boat repairs are fairly reasonable but the quailty is a different matter -- at time we paid more on purpose for what we hoped was better quality --- we had most of our boat work done in the usa on purpose - first was access to parts and second was the workmanship - of course in the usa that is in question in some places too - in the usa we looked around a lot and ended up at deltaville boat yard for all the work we had done 2010 and boy are we happy with it

not sure how far south you are heading but not much available in the bahamas as we remember - on farther south it really depends on where you are

our last haul out was in carricou and it was both great and inexpensive -

hope this helps
Old 24-01-2014, 07:07   #21
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: 5 Years of Cost Data -

for a 40 ft new boat + two people + some add ons (which i don't think all that necessary but nice to have!: water maker, solar panel etc etc) 800 per month average seems like a bargain to me. You didn't shoestring at all by dumpster diving for your meals yet you avg 2 people < 500 each per month. Thats a great deal.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2014, 08:54   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
some add ons (which i don't think all that necessary but nice to have!: water maker, solar panel etc etc)

all depends and where you are going and what you are going to do and how long you plan on being out and where you are going to be out -- to you maybe not necessary to us they are - each to his own

800 per month average seems like a bargain to me.

not sure what this is

You didn't shoestring at all by dumpster diving for your meals yet you avg 2 people < 500 each per month. Thats a great deal.
we eat pretty well - food is good and plentiful and can be reasonably priced depending on where you shop
Old 24-01-2014, 12:46   #23

Boat: Morgan OutIsland 41, Ketch

Thanks Chuck,
Thanks for your reply about parts and pricing - it helps for sure. We still have a lot to learn, and many knots to travel.
mcfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 05:59   #24

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41
Chuck

Thanks for providing this very detailed and valuable information.

I'm trying to determine why there is a $1000/month increase in 2010, 2012, and 2013? Maybe $3500/mo is the norm, and the other two years at $2500 is the exception, not sure? would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I read through the posts and your responses. I think I've figured some of it out. Sounds Ike the 2010 increase was due to your major boat work. 2013 seems to be explained by a 6 month hotel stay and 6 months in the med? Is that right?

2012 is a mystery to me. I don't see any major increase in any of your costs for that year. What happen that year? Or as I said earlier, is $3500 / month the norm?

Thanks again, great info.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 07:22   #25

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

So what did you do for the first 5 years

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 07:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Sailor View Post
Chuck

I'm trying to determine why there is a $1000/month increase in 2010, 2012, and 2013? Maybe $3500/mo is the norm, and the other two years at $2500 is the exception, not sure? would love to hear your thoughts on this.

I read through the posts and your responses. I think I've figured some of it out. Sounds Ike the 2010 increase was due to your major boat work. 2013 seems to be explained by a 6 month hotel stay and 6 months in the med? Is that right?

2012 is a mystery to me. I don't see any major increase in any of your costs for that year. What happen that year? Or as I said earlier, is $3500 / month the norm?

Thanks again, great info.

the big increase in 2010 is the major work we did at deltaville -

the drop in 2011 was the dockage issue - we were in the western caribbean from mexico to colombia and anchored almost everywhere except colombia because of our insurance company -- and the boat was in primo condition so a bit less work and upgrading - not only that but harder to find parts there

the 2012 was the cost of dockage in eastern caribbean at trinidad - admirals choice where we stayed for 6 months as well as paint and a few other things that we needed --

2013 was a combination of getting stuff to sail across the atlantic and dockage in the med as well as inland travel

we probably could get away with less and choose a lower cost marina in trini but got to keep the admiral happy sometimes - we do keep the boat in good condition and try to do one upgrade or improvement each year - when we decide to sell the boat we want the new owner to get a boat ready to leave and not have to spend a fortunate getting it ready and it also leaves us with piece of mind that we got a fairly well maintained boat
Old 25-01-2014, 08:04   #27

[QUOTE=scuba0_1;1449713]So what did you do for the first 5 years

unfortunately i had to work - but that was ok - you see we never stepped foot on a sailboat until dec 2000 when we took asa 101 on a lark - the lark spread to 2001 when we took 2 more lessons and in 2003 we bought the boat and lived in miami where we could sail almost every weekend and learn a bit about how to make the boat go and how to anchor ect - we did one short trip to the bahamas and were there 3 days and got hit by lightening in chub cay -
i lost my job the day i turned 60 had a few offers but that would require me to move so i turned them down and did some consulting for a while and put the house up for sale and used to proceeds to pay off the boat and at age 62 left by myself as the admiral wanted to make sure i really wanted to do this - so after my 1st run up the east coast solo she quit her job and we left -
Old 25-01-2014, 08:14   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thanks, chuck!

Here's a plain tab delimited text version for those who have unco-operative silicon critters plaguing them. Not too pretty--but portable.

P.S.-Mark, there are XLS viewers, free viewers, for pretty much everything these says. Free on the PC and Android, and certainly must be for the iOS as well by now. XLS is a world standard, even Apple can't ignore that.
Tar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 08:17   #29

Boat: Bombay PH 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
I tried to download using Windows Vista and get error message it can't be downloaded.
You'll need Microsoft Excel , It does not come with windows.
Google docs is a great free trustworthy alternative.(just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(googl e it)
Old 25-01-2014, 08:26   #30

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
You'll need Microsoft Excel , It does not come with windows.
Google docs is a great free trustworthy alternative.(just,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(googl e it)

I have Exel. Turns out it was a browser problem. IE wouldn't download but Firefox did. Recurring problem I have with IE for some reason.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote