Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-03-2011, 20:07   #16

Re: 40k budget for the escape!

haha no not a car salesman. So the consensus is i'm crazy for thinking? Maybe too ambitious? but I still like the idea. and i hope i haven't offended yall but thinking this "challenge" can be accomplished by a inexperienced sailor.....

Old 23-03-2011, 20:14   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by matti81 View Post
. . . So the consensus is i'm crazy for thinking? Maybe too ambitious? but I still like the idea. ....
Absolutely NOT, Many have done what you have inquired about successfully, but even more have not. So just do some "homework" and find out whether you are the kind of person who can successfully accomplish your idea.
- - If you are naturally mechanically inclined and can solve problems quickly, successfully most of the time and you are willing to take the risks to life and limb, then you can probably do it. You and only you will be totally responsible for whether you live or die at sea. Luck plays a good part, but making your own luck is equally important.

Old 24-03-2011, 06:25   #18
Vendor

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Without experience with sailing and sailboats, your big risk is in the purchase and outfitting of the boat. To make this more of a sure thing, you need said experience. My huge, very strong advice is to GO CREW ON OTHER PEOPLE'S boat before you even think of buying your own. Do this for a minimum of 6 months, not two day trips. You need to know how to spot the right boat for you, one that won't drag you down financially when things go wrong on it, one that meets YOUR needs, not what everyone else here thinks you need.

You should spend time on boat cruising boats and race boats. Both experiences are good for a foundation in sailing.

Chris
Old 24-03-2011, 06:54   #19

My first advise: Don't listen to much what other people say. Do it your way if you think you can do it.

I decided to sail around the globe without ever been on a sailboat. Planned the trip (and saving) for 18 months. Sure I learned lots during those months, but the first sailboat I purchased (and boarded) was 3 months before we flew to Panama where our 2nd boat was waiting for us. Sailed around in Panama for 6 months before we left for the Pacific crossing,

You learn most by being onboard. Buy a sailboat in the tropics and you feel you are halfway around the globe already.
Old 24-03-2011, 07:32   #20
mys

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
My first advise: Don't listen to much what other people say. Do it your way if you think you can do it.
I can't agree more. A German couple friend of mine came to Long Island, NY for vacation. There the saw a sailboat for sale at $15K and they paid $20K including a week of lessons on how to sail. After that they sailed by their own to Florida, they use the Okeechobee Waterway to trip to the west coast of Florida and from there to Key West. A week later they circumnavigate most part of Cuba and after a short stop in Leeward Islands they sailed all the Atlantic to Cape Verde, Canaries, Portugal, the English Channel; and finally Germany. The sold the boat in Germany for 80K Euro.

Old 24-03-2011, 13:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato

Since it's pouring rain here in Calif. and I was looking for some fishing gear anyway, while on Craig's List for Oahu I saw this, A Piece of History Kiwi Built Kauri Wood Yacht

There you go! Quick outfit, food fuel and some equipment and GO! Also easy to get in and out to shakedown off Waikiki! Just do it and forget the naysayers.
Old 24-03-2011, 13:49   #22

Go for it. You only live once. Don't listen to naysayers who want you to jump through all kinds of hoops, take courses, get certificates, etc. ad infinitum. Find a good boat, equip it right. Do your homework learning what you need to know. Find someone to take you out sailing a few times to learn how. It's not all that difficult. If you have respect for and a healthy amount of fear of the sea, which you probably have if you've been offshore, that's what really counts. Knowing when to go and when to stay is what separates the successful cruiser from those who are forced try their liferaft or worse.
Old 24-03-2011, 14:21   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Of course it can be done.

But whether you can is another thing. and how is a matter of personal choice.

and also the question is would you actually want to.

But, as I am here ..........I would be looking at something in the 27 to 30 foot category. and very sound, but basic (no hot water, no aircon no plumbed in electronics........nothing onboard that you look at and say to yourself "I wonder how that works" or "how will I fix that?").......If not bought with the boat, budget for a plug in GPS / Chart Plotter (and a handheld spare) - an autopilot, some solar panels. and a portable fridge that runs if you have the power spare - ice box when not. One of the "Extras" I would require is a sprayhood / dodger - doesn't have to be mint or cover the whole cockpit but worth it's weight in gold when it's cold and wet. and an expensive retro fit.

.........re-rig her (odds on the rigging age / condition will be unknown), get the sails valetted and maybe spash out on at least 1 new one . a couple of new batteries would also be nice. a good clean inside and out.......check the thru hulls (re-bedding would be ideal - but knowing where they are, double clipping and new hoses, with wooden bungs tied to them would be plan B)....same thorough checking for the rudder. Engine wise the odds are it will be old so I would fit an outboard bracket from the getgo, just in case (and whilst easy to do)..........engine is a very thorough / major service and then fingers crossed .........and expect their will be things you discover along the way that would have been better to have dealt with beforehand and fingers crossed won't discover / be a problem at a critical time..........

I would skimp on home comforts and interior refurb - apart from a thorough clean, and maybe some bilge paint.
Old 24-03-2011, 14:33   #24

Boat: Beneteau/343

The classes are probably not a bad idea. I know lots of people here are dissing them, but they do help jumpstart the knowledge aquisition process.

If you can find a week long class that does ASA 101, 102, and 104, you will be in much better shape with a lot more confidence to head off to sea.
Old 24-03-2011, 14:36   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco Gato View Post
Since it's pouring rain here in Calif. and I was looking for some fishing gear anyway, while on Craig's List for Oahu I saw this, A Piece of History Kiwi Built Kauri Wood Yacht

There you go! Quick outfit, food fuel and some equipment and GO! Also easy to get in and out to shakedown off Waikiki! Just do it and forget the naysayers.
Pricey, given the type, materials, condition, location.

I would rather look along this line:

1985 Vancouver Vancouver 25 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Example generic.

b.
Old 24-03-2011, 15:34   #26

I'd say go for it as we are along the same lines as you.. We are looking for something we can afford now or very soon and just do it.. I'm with David old jersey, just get the basics as I don't want to spend time and money for constant upkeep and maintenance.. I'd rather keep it simple but safe and durable so the overall running of it will be cheap in the long run... Good luck with it and I just say go and do it..
Old 24-03-2011, 15:38   #27

Lots of good boats capable of doing it in the 10-20K range, and even less, but I would suggest trying to find about a 30 footer. They are just as easy or easier to sail than smaller boats, have decent enough accommodations so you won't go stir crazy once you get your girlfriend on board, and there are tons of old fiberglass boats around in the Chesapeake to choose from. I personally would stick to something like an old Pearson 30--simple, cheap, sails well, and a decent design to begin with. Start off sailing this summer in the Chesapeake and then head south down the ICW in October, then sail down the Keys in November and maybe over to the Bahamas for December. Or you could go direct from the Keys to Mexico and work your way south, but you will have some cold fronts to deal with in November-December. If you go to the Bahamas for the winter, head back to the Keys to restock and fix stuff and get out of there by May to head down to Panama and through the Canal, which unfortunately costs something like $1000 to go through these days. You want to be south of 10 degrees latitude by June in order to avoid hurricane season. Spend the summer dodging thunderstorms in the San Blas Islands (not to be missed) or maybe head over to the Pacific side at that point. It is hard to get out of Panama due to the conflicting and shifting winds. $40,000 is plenty to do this.
Old 24-03-2011, 15:49   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The better you are a sailor and maintenance person the less you need to spend on the boat. General rule of thumb. A great sailor and carpenter could go to home depot with $500 and sail around the world.

On the flip side you could be like that old guy with the yacht who they USCG just picked up.
Old 24-03-2011, 16:56   #29

Boat: mt34dt

tartan 30 for <10k or something similar 1973 Tartan 30 sailboat for sale in Maryland
Old 24-03-2011, 17:28   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Lots of good boats capable of doing it in the 10-20K range, and even less, but I would suggest trying to find about a 30 footer. They are just as easy or easier to sail than smaller boats, have decent enough accommodations so you won't go stir crazy once you get your girlfriend on board, and there are tons of old fiberglass boats around in the Chesapeake to choose from. I personally would stick to something like an old Pearson 30--simple, cheap, sails well, and a decent design to begin with. Start off sailing this summer in the Chesapeake and then head south down the ICW in October, then sail down the Keys in November and maybe over to the Bahamas for December. Or you could go direct from the Keys to Mexico and work your way south, but you will have some cold fronts to deal with in November-December. If you go to the Bahamas for the winter, head back to the Keys to restock and fix stuff and get out of there by May to head down to Panama and through the Canal, which unfortunately costs something like $1000 to go through these days. You want to be south of 10 degrees latitude by June in order to avoid hurricane season. Spend the summer dodging thunderstorms in the San Blas Islands (not to be missed) or maybe head over to the Pacific side at that point. It is hard to get out of Panama due to the conflicting and shifting winds. $40,000 is plenty to do this.
Sounds like the perfect plan!

Don't forget to stop for a visit in Krabi as you are making you way up the Andaman Sea to Phuket.

Tags
budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: