Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2011, 23:44   #1

$2500 for Haul in Ensenada, Mexico ?

I asked the broker to the boat I'm interested in how much it would cost to haul out the boat for an inspection.

2500 USD (due to its width at 22 ft) he told me!!!

...and suggested to do a diver inspection instead. Does it really cost that much? Or is the broker trying me to not do a haul out?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 23:57   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: 2500 USD for haul in Ensenada Mexico?

Don't buy a boat w/o a haulout!! Ask around for prices. It seems pretty high. Ask if they will do a noon hang. That is where they take the boat out before lunch and then leave it on the lift when they go away for lunch and then put it back in the water after lunch. Negotiate with the yard if you have to.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 08:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: $2500 for Haul in Ensenada, Mexico ?

$2500? In MEXICO?

As noted, try negotiating - but realistically, I'd look at a different boat. I think this broker is trying to make money off of your inspection.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 08:57   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

YES. i have repeatedly advised that mexico is NOT cheap for hauling boats out of water. there is no inexpensive alternative on west coast other than mexican shrimp/fishing fleet yards. but they are not CHEAP either.
even puerto escondido, baja has raised their rates.
as tourism drops off, you will find higher pricing here as the local income levels are jeopardized and they raise rates to make up for the loss of business.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:46   #5

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

'Zee' is correct... the yards in Ensenada have come up on par with those in San Diego. The difference is the level of competence and workmanship is far better south of the border than it was 15 years ago. There used to be about a 10-15% difference between San Diego yards and Baja Naval in Ensenada but that has changed. Pulling in La Paz or San Carlos is slightly cheaper but not much. The big change is the talent of yard workers in Mexico is as good if not better than those on the west coast of the US.
I've had two of my boats pulled in Ensenada over the years and many client vessels delivered there for work and have seen the improvement in the quality of work. Just my opinion... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:58   #6

something seems odd with that price. I would suggest that you call a yard directly and get the price. They do speak english, and you can also call them on a US number..

It could also be that he is quoting you the compete survey price WITH HIS MARKUP.

Baja Naval: +1.619.819.5048 ask for Guillermo.. or go to their website and contact them.

(disclaimer I have no relationship with Baja Naval, other then as an extremely satisfied customer.

From their website:
Haul Out / Launching
Unit
Price
Minimum Charge
-
$80.00
L.O.A. up to 39.1' - 49'
foot
$3.00
L.O.A. up to 49.1' - 59'
foot
$4.00
L.O.A. up to 59.1' - and up
-
Catamarans and Trimarans
-
Emergency Haul Out
-
Travelift Time
(Applies to any work performed while the boat is on the travelift eg. inspections, prop remaval etc. This rate is in addition to the haul out rate.)
/hr
$150.00
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 09:59   #7

the workers from yards in sd went to mexico and taught their friends, i learned, and stayed home as they can make as much dough without having to cross border.
the yards in mexico are american corporations. isnt gonna get better ..... the inexpensive mexican haulout is a thing of past.

when i was in ensenada i was quoted 2550 just to haul the boat, and more for work to be done. h2oman, is accurate and nothing wrong with it,. is how it is now.
Old 28-09-2011, 10:35   #8
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

"due to its width at 22 ft"

Cat?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 13:11   #9

Used to be a very nice lady at Baja Naval named Arysalla, I believe Guillermo is the old owners son... really nice guy and good businessman... used to dealing with gringo's. I've really lost touch with the costs in Mexico... Zee has a better feel than I. I believe Bandido's just north of Baja Naval has a railway slip but unsure of beam restrictions. There is also a yard dealing with mostly commercial vessels north of Ensenada... best to drive down to scope it out. The commercial yard at the end of the Ensenada harbor only hauls 100+ feet, I believe... hope this helps, cheers, Capt Phil
Old 28-09-2011, 13:40   #10

bandidos has nada anymore but crack smoking sons running the joint. is not safe nor adequate unless you wanna wake up with less than you began with..bandido was cool but his kids are a whole nother deal.
only yard in ensenada is the baja naval. the shrimpers and fishers are always busy. i wasnt able to find out anything there. i was given a 2550 quote for just haul for my thru hulls and packing gland issues. PLUS work. so juan lu fixed my stuffing box for a lot less and without a haul out, as i thought originally i could do it

if you can find out about the fisher yard-- be careful--watch your stuff as there has been stuff gone from boats there as they were hauled........talk with juan lu about that---- tell him i sent ye. juan lu is at botes juanitos
Old 28-09-2011, 13:48   #11

Thanks for the update, 'Zee'... the old man at Bandido's was a square shooter in the 'old days' as were the guys at Juanitos. Sounds like there have been a lot of changes, not all for the better. Glad I'm now landlocked in Nevada except for the odd charter/delivery! cheers, CP
Old 28-09-2011, 13:55   #12

bandido died a few yrs ago and it went to poo as he was dying.
juanitos son luis juan is manager of juanitos, and he is a wheeler dealer but is ok. juan lu is decent and honest and knows his stuff-does the under water work at juanitos and mechanics and captain.. there are 11 sons in the family and all either work there or have their own water based business somewhere not too far away.
Old 28-09-2011, 14:01   #13

Boat: mt34dt

If seller wants to sell boat he will haul it, if not walk away. You are in the demanding position.
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 20:45   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta View Post
If seller wants to sell boat he will haul it, if not walk away. You are in the demanding position.
Yup. That's what I would do.

Our local yard charges us $125 for a "quick haul". We are only 15' wide, but what the heck. 20X as much?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 21:02   #15

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
t..... the inexpensive mexican haulout is a thing of past.
when i was in ensenada i was quoted 2550 just to haul the boat, and more for work to be done. h2oman, is accurate and nothing wrong with it,. is how it is now.
Don't know about Ensenada, but I hauled out in San Carlos this year for $180 one way (so it will be $360 round trip when I go back) for 40 feet on deck, 15 tons gross... It is $120 at Guaymas Marina Seca, but that is a bit "rough"...
If marinas have a wide enough ramp, the problem becomes the amount of space they occupy on land and the special timbers that are needed to support them. Gotta call and work with them, don't rely on contractor's estimates... In Guaymas last year, a 46' catamaran hauled and stored for $270/month, but I have heard that since then the rate went up.

Michael

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico