Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2013, 22:47   #46

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Re: What Do You Record in Your Ship's Log ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
A log book of mine was once used 'officially' -- some folks I had on board made a claim to their travel insurance. Their insurance company wanted to see the relevant page from my log book, and the folks were paid once I emailed a copy.

Longer story: Months before I gave some scientists (bird researchers) a lift to a deserted atoll. On the way there the weather built to a gale, and I didn't know enough then to batten down the hatches early, before the waves start coming on board. A wave filled the cockpit, and with the porthole in the aft berth open most of the water drained onto their camera equipment inside, just under the window. I felt really bad, since it was the start of a long expedition for them. They had travel insurance and filed a claim, and months later I got an email asking for the relevant page from the log book.

It didn't look like much, offical wise -- this is the format we use

Right page is navigation and weather, left page is usually drawings of the anchorage (headings for the escape route, how much we have out, what direction we set it in, to how much reverse RPM), forecasts we copy down from the ham radio, sometimes notes for the overnight watches (so it's not a game of telephone -- what to keep an eye on (chafe on something, engine oil, minimum distance to land, overall strategy if we are in rare circumstances, predefined reasons to wake me up), and playful notes to each other (what we ate, poetry, random thoughts about the stars, whatever). When we were doing traditional navigation we'd make a lot more entries to track small course changes.

Phew, I guess that sounds like a lot of details. But it's more of a fun shared diary and memory aid. We don't really keep one on coastal hops, just trips that are longer than a day or so. I don't think of it as a legal document.
Nice. way to go.

Old 25-01-2013, 03:21   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Offshore the routine of regular log entries can document invaluable information, position, weather, fuel use etc. in an emergency having you position in the last hour can make a mayday call under pressure much easier, something more serious like a falling barometric pressure hour over hour would go unnoticed without regular log entries. Inshore not such a big deal but offshore a must for this skipper.
Typical stuff documented, position course, speed, weather, wind, crew, engine, radio calls etc.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 13:29   #48

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
There are certain exceptions, but they're spelled out. In the law.
Please do remember that this is an international forum, even if it has a strong US flavor. In other countries, the law is different, to such a point that some make it mandatory to keep a log.
Quote:
So first, all you folks who are waving your arms about keeping a log, is any of this spelled out in any legal code anywhere?
For French yachts going offshore (farther than 6NM from shelter), a log is made mandatory by Article 240-3.09 of "Division 240", the regulations governing safety for yachts less than 24m (about 80ft) in length.
Quote:
When the legal profession wants you to keep a log, they tell you how it should be kept.

So is there any format, anywhere in any legal code about how to keep a log aboard a ship?
The regulations say that I must record:
- the crew list,
- the time of departure,
- the forecast and observed weather,
- the position, course and speed at regularly spaced times,
- the consumption and remaining fuel
- any incident, breakdown or damage happening onboard or observed in the area.

This document is to be found here: http://www.developpement-durable.gou...illet_2012.pdf

Alain
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32   #49
cruiser

Maybe the log dates from the days when the captain of the square-riggers could remind himself whom was due for a lashing?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I may be wrong, but I suspect that the fact you were authoritatively reading from your log, rather than relying on your memory, played a huge part in establishing your credibility.
Actually, that was exactly my point: it didn't matter what the format of the log was, what was actually written in it, or even whether or not it was, in fact, actually a log.

The log itself had absolutely nothing to do with it-- no one even thought to look at it.

And therefore, I don't believe the claims that a log is a "legal document", whatever that is, because there was never any verification that it even was a log, let alone verifying the things written in it.

Not to mention that there is still no procedure for the magical transformation from a written piece of fiction into a "legal document".
Old 01-02-2013, 05:32   #51

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

You should really maintain two logs. A log for your travel destinations and a separate log for maintenance, including costs. Admiralty attorneys are sticklers when it comes to litigating issues at sea. The one who documents the most, almost always wins the court battle. Mauritz
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49   #52

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Actually, that was exactly my point: it didn't matter what the format of the log was, what was actually written in it, or even whether or not it was, in fact, actually a log.
Well, I suppose you could have bluffed and perjured yourself by pretending to read from a log. I don't think most people would have done it, both for moral and ethical reasons and because deception is not all that easy. However, if the stakes were high enough, my guess is the log would have been examined.

I can't imagine the format of the log making much of a difference.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49   #53

Boat: Catalina 30
In the Navy we logged everything. I spent many boring nights walking round at the barracks etc making sure thing did not burst into flame and logging it.

However once I started to do real watches we logged gauge readings, weather and events usually on the hour, very boring. More than once those rounds of log taking enabled me to spot trends in operation and avert outages. Logs can be good practice, even if just to keep you focused on your watch.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57   #54
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What Do You Record in Your Ship's Log ?

Major events....

Last time I went on a date...

Bought a drink...

Still on the 1st page....??????

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42   #55

Boat: Catalina 30
Word. I still have not put my boat name and hull number in my logbook. Keep saying I will start that tonight and there she sits, untouched.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: