Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2010, 20:35   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
'Voyaging On A Small Income' by Annie Hill

I would like to borrow or even rent a copy and will happily pay shipping both ways. It's out of print. I almost had a used copy for about $40 but no joy. Amazon has some leads but they start at $100.
Thanks!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 22:21   #2

Boat: Islander 36
Good Grief!! Does not sound like a good start to "voyaging on a small income"!

My copy is half a world away from me, if I even still own it. But if I do, next time I see it, I'll market it.

No earth shattering news in it. Quite dated but still true. It's about common sense.

Anything that can help drive home the differences between needs and wants would be golden in my book. Having thrown a lot of money in the wrong places, I have the right to say that.
Old 21-07-2010, 04:39   #3

Thanks for the thoughts! I've read most of these kind of books so I'm sure I can get by without it. Still, it's one I missed, probably when I was landbound in the midwest for far too long. The Pardeys have always been my favorites. A couple of sellers have the Hill book priced at $400 usd USED. Really.

For what it's worth to anyone, I recently bought Sea-Steading by J Fitzgerald. It has surprising little info about the title and instead is kind of a one-note samba about the evils of auxilliary engines. The author is smarter than the rest of us; he thinks. That it's self-published says a lot to me.
Old 21-07-2010, 04:50   #4

I have a signed copy here
TrevC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 05:04   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I would like to borrow or even rent a copy and will happily pay shipping both ways. It's out of print. I almost had a used copy for about $40 but no joy. Amazon has some leads but they start at $100.
Thanks!
Did you look at "used" in Amazon? I just took a look and they have copies starting at $13.47 + 3.99 shipping.
Old 21-07-2010, 05:06   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Annie Hill’s first two books* concerned voyaging aboard Badger, a 34 foot double-ended dory, with a two-masted junk rig of the schooner style, which was built by Annie and her former husband, Pete Hill. Badger was designed by Jay Benford for plywood construction.

* Voyaging On a Small Income ISBN 1-85310-425-6
* Brazil and Beyond: Long Distance Voyaging with Annie Hill ISBN 1-84037-077-7

Annie Hill now sails aboard Iron Bark, a steel gaff cutter. She is divorced from her former husband, Pete, and travels and lives with her second husband, Trevor Robertson.

See ➥ Voyaging with Annie Hill

* VOSI was published in 1993, by Tiller Publications (Jay Benford, Publisher)
The retail price of the book is $24.9 plus s&h.
About 10,000 copies of VOSI have been sold.
Voyaging On A Small Income | TillerPublishing.com

More ➥ http://www.sail-world.com/CruisingAu...=0&tickerCID=0

And ➥ http://www.atomvoyages.com/articles/iceman.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:43   #7

Interesting. I just ordered the $13 dollar copy which was not available last week, yesterday or even earlier today. Another mystery of the internet. The above poster with all the additional info must assume I don't have the ability to type in a title in Google search. Bummer. I've noticed this poster is quick to want to correct a perceived error and/or assume the poster hasn't a clue and urgently provide additional "helpful" info. I suppose that's how one racks up thousands of posts. Me? I'd rather be sailing. All's well that ends well though. Thanks.

In any case I have ordered the copy for $13 bucks, and glad the $40 seller (the cheapest BY FAR) didn't have the copy he advertised just last week. He begged me not to provide negative feedback to Amazon. I did not.
Old 21-07-2010, 07:03   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
The above poster with all the additional info must assume I don't have the ability to type in a title in Google search. Bummer. I've noticed this poster is quick to want to correct a perceived error and/or assume the poster hasn't a clue and urgently provide additional "helpful" info. I suppose that's how one racks up thousands of posts.
There are members here who have a greater understanding of Cruisers Forum than others, and members who have greater command of specific information than others, and members who recognize that when a thread begins, there will be those who will read it but don't really have a full understanding of the central point.

GordMay happens to be all three of the above; he knows more about Cruisers Forum than any other member, having joined way back in the early days, and having been the Administrator here for so many years. He also happens to possess an encyclopedic knowledge about almost everything, and what he doesn't already know, he knows where to find.

And because he isn't selfish in sharing his knowledge with those who may wish they knew more about the central point of a thread, he points the way for the curious to help themselves to learn more.

That the OP is, apparently, put off by that is unfortunate. That Gord recognizes that casual readers may appreciate guidance and shares his knowledge with all who read this Forum is a blessing for which most long-term members are, or should be, grateful.

TaoJones
Old 21-07-2010, 07:12   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Aw shucks, blush ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 10:22   #10

Understood.
Old 21-07-2010, 10:29   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That Gord recognizes that casual readers may appreciate guidance and shares his knowledge with all who read this Forum is a blessing for which most long-term members are, or should be, grateful.

TaoJones
+1

On the other hand, some of us have nothing to say - but simply like the sound of our own voice

I was here 2 years before I realised it was about boats . Must remember to buy one..............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 16:44   #12

I've now read the above book and would like to say to one and all, while the financial data is surely dated, I found it to be a treasure trove of info on cruising in general from folks who've really been there and done it.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:21   #13

Boat: Columbia 41
Voyaging on a Small Income: Hill, Annie - AbeBooks - 9780961039653: CRAWFORDS Nautical Books

Abe Books has seven copies listed. The one above is going for $15.46 plut $5.00 postage.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:38   #14

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
A good place to search for any used book is bookfinder.com. They aggregate searches from Amazon, ABE, Biblio, Half.com, Alibris, and several other used book databases, even including UK booksellers. Plus they'll display total book cost including shipping. Really fast one-stop resource. I seem to buy a book or two every week through Bookfinder. Terrible habit. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:52   #15

If you are interested in what Annie is doing these days here is a link to her website. She doesn't update often but when she does there is a wealth of fascinating info...
annk is offline   Reply With Quote