Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 09:18   #61
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

There's probably something in it that uses encryption which is not allowed to be exported out of the US. Not an uncommon problem, just foolish since equal or better technologies usually are available globally.

I wonder how Obama gets his new Smartphone out of the country...it must be subject to the same export restrictions.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:09   #62

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
Talbot...where do you get your books to down load?
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 12:09   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
If I were going to buy an e-reader for the boat then it looks like the iRex Iliad is the way to go, it will download to a pc, which means you can share books, it will email, and you can write on it. uses the same technology as the kindle without all the big brother propritary stuff.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 14:25   #64

Um..way too much money. Plus it has features I don't need and will pay for. The kindle seems to be pretty popular.
Old 30-03-2009, 15:51   #65
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

the big (BIG) difference between Kindle and everything else, when all is said and done, is that Amazon is established with the major publishing houses and they are making CURRENT BESTSELLERS available for their device.

Features, readability, multiple access from the Kindle and your cell phone and other devices...these are all nice, but Amazon seems to have set a clear lead in putting new publications on their device. (That still won't get me to spend $400 for it.)

OTOH if you want "universal books", look at the Guttenberg Project, which is possibly the largest and oldest (but not the only) free source for much of what is out of copyright. They don't have everything yet--but what a way to catch up on classics. And since they are available as plain text files, they can be read and viewed on everything that can display a text file. Free.
Old 30-03-2009, 18:52   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
I freakin' LOVE my new Kindle 2. My daughters gave it to me for Xmas, and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 18:57   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
I freakin' LOVE my new Kindle 2. My daughters gave it to me for Xmas, and it arrived a couple of weeks ago.

You say you love it now. Just wait until you are addicted... Amazon does make it way too easy to spend money with them. Ok, I need a new book.

FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 19:08   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Oh, yeah. I've already seen that. They send you "free" books, that are the first in a series - then you HAVE to buy the next ones! Good marketing - I LOVE that.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 10:43   #69

You guys are funny....but glad for the replies....Thank you
Old 31-03-2009, 11:41   #70
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Be very careful about the Pirate Bay web site, and remember that all internet connections are logged "forever". The operators are about to be either convicted or not in a major court case, and if they are, their server logs may be seized and used to prosecute folks who dl'd copyright materials that they have generously provided to the public without any regard for copyright laws. (Which they claim don't apply, as they claim the court has no jurisdiction over them, and on and on.)

Free may be good--but there's more than karma at stake there.
Old 31-03-2009, 13:45   #71

Thank you hellosailor...good to know. I'm kind of puteriliterate..so greatly appreciated.
Old 31-03-2009, 14:09   #72

slight correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agur's Wish View Post
The old Kindle:
Held 200 books but if they were purchased from Amazon you could remove the books to free up memory space and they were always in your Amazon account so you could re-upload them if you wanted to read them.

I bought an extra memory thing to hold any books I downloaded from free or other sites so I would have them if I wanted to re-read.

I can't imagine them getting rid of the USB transfer mechanism (which is just a regular USB cord because the whispertel network is still not available in a lot of areas (like on a boat or on a mountain) and this
would really limit their readership.

One of their experimental features was basically free internet access through the whispertel network and anything you did through the internet you could do on the Kindle, send email, blog, check stocks, read the news...

You cannot share the books you download unless you lend your Kindle.

You can self-publish to the Kindle, but I'm not sure how that works.

As I said, you can blog so if you have a blog site set-up you can take notes and share them as long you are in a whispertel access area.

The Kindle will hold 2000 books not 200. I currently have about 1200 on mine. And when I reach 2000, I'll start putting them on memory sticks that hold 20000, yup 20K. So I can literally carry 10s of thousands of books under my arm. What's not to like?

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 15:54   #73

So, just wondering ... you know that when people download stuff using "torrents," the authors/creators and publishers receive NOTHING for their work? These "torrent" sites are basically "sharing" (nice euphemism) stolen goods.

I wonder why we think it's ok to do that with movies, books, music, and other intellectual property when most of us would never find it ok to get a stolen camera, ipod, or other "physical" stuff or to have someone do work for us and then refuse to pay. Curious.

Mike (and I love my Kindle, too -- the "old" kind)
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:04   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
So, just wondering ... you know that when people download stuff using "torrents," the authors/creators and publishers receive NOTHING for their work? These "torrent" sites are basically "sharing" (nice euphemism) stolen goods...
BitTorrent is a peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) communications protocol.

While P2P file sharing technology is completely legal, many of the files traded through P2P are copyrighted (and, therefore not legal to download); and uploading P2P files may put you at serious risk of a civil lawsuit. These lawsuits are usually class-action suits, filed against groups of users who blatantly copy and distribute copyrighted materials.

Recently, the MPAA, the RIAA, and the governments of England and Australia took several thousand users to court, demanding that they pay thousands of dollars in copyright infringement penalties. These P2P lawsuits are very real, and whether or not they are successful, they are extreme financial and emotional burdens on the defendant.

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) may choose to release logs of your downloading/uploading activity to potential copyright plaintiffs. The more megabytes you download/upload, the more you risk being sued by copyright protection groups.

See Bill C-61, introduced in 2008:
Act to amend the the Canadian Copyright Act (BILL C-61):
C-61

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34   #75

OK... call me stupid..what are you guys talking about? If I buy books for the Kindle from amazon...I'm not doing any thing illeagal..right?