CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Sources of free ebooks readable on the Kindle

http://thekindle.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/free-books-for-the-amazon-kindle/

http://www.feedbooks.com/

ManyBooks.net - Free eBooks for your PDA, iPhone, or eBook Reader

Free Kindle Books offers Free Classic E-Books in Kindle-compatible MOBI and PRC formats

Main Page - Gutenberg

http://www.munseys.com/joomla/

Kindle eBook Library (costs $8.95 per year for unlimited downloads)

http://www.classicbookshelf.com/library/

Free Kindle Books

Old 13-02-2009, 17:55   #47

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Hey Guys! The new Kindle 2 has been announced, and the features look great. They seem to be angling to make money at every turn, however...I am now seeing a boatload of Kindle 1's out on eBay. Prepare for the flood!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2009, 14:14   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Hey Guys! The new Kindle 2 has been announced, and the features look great. They seem to be angling to make money at every turn, however...I am now seeing a boatload of Kindle 1's out on eBay. Prepare for the flood!
What did they add?

I am too lazy to go to their site again and read through the stuff to compare with my memory what is the greatest thing.

Thanks.
Old 15-02-2009, 14:51   #49

Therapy, watch and learn... Amazon.com: Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation): Kindle Store

Old 15-02-2009, 17:39   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It isn't what they added (16 grays instead of 4, and more memory) but what they subtracted (about 2/3 of the thickness). Incremental progress on the hardware, not a revolution.
Old 15-02-2009, 18:03   #51

I might be very wrong on this, but couldn't the first Kindle open PDFs? The new Kindle requires you to pay a fee, and they convert you PDF to Kindle speak, then download it wirelessly to your unit. I dont think you can download books via USB anymore....Also, was the old Kindle on the 3G network? We need a user on this thread...

Old 15-02-2009, 18:19   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post

I dunno what this really means.

Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need to print. Each Kindle has a unique and customizable e-mail address. You can set your unique email address on your Manage Your Kindle page. This allows you and your approved contacts to e-mail Word, PDF documents, and pictures wirelessly to your Kindle for a small per document fee--currently only 10 per document. Kindle supports wireless delivery of unprotected Microsoft Word, PDF, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, PRC and MOBI files.

You can email your PDFs wirelessly to your Kindle. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle.

If you are not in a wireless area or would like to avoid the fee, you can send attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com to be converted and e-mailed to your computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account login. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB connection. For example, if your Kindle email address is Jay@Kindle.com, send your attachments to Jay@free.kindle.com.

And later on after it say it is available it says "experimental".

Experimental Features

The experimental category represents features we are still working on to enhance the Kindle experience even further. Try them out and let us know what you think.
Read-to-Me
Now Kindle can read to you. With its new Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can read every book, blog, magazine, and newspaper out loud to you.

And then;

PDF Document Conversion
You can email your PDF documents wirelessly to your Kindle, just like other personal documents. Due to PDF's fixed layout format, some complex PDF files may not format correctly on your Kindle.

I won't argue that it is an amazing piece of technology though.
Old 15-02-2009, 20:27   #53

It looks to me as if they are now able to watch and control everything that gos on your Kindle. In order for you to upload a file, it must be in "Kindle speak" and emailed to your Kindle via Amazon. Was this always the case?

Old 17-02-2009, 03:52   #54

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
i might have to treat myself to one of these but i'm going to be in the download-via-internet group.

can someone explain what exactly you order on amazon to get a download via internet

i had a look at amazon and could see how to purchase for whispernet delivery but couldn't figure out what you needed to do to get an internet download
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 06:36   #55

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
How large are the book files, say for an 800 page paperback type book? What is the process for downloading and about how long will it take to download the same?
My wife is wanting a Kindle but is not a computer user so I would be doing the downloading etc.
Thanks Steve
Old 17-02-2009, 06:47   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
How large are the book files, say for an 800 page paperback type book? What is the process for downloading and about how long will it take to download the same?
My wife is wanting a Kindle but is not a computer user so I would be doing the downloading etc.
Thanks Steve

I bought and downloaded The Talisman (just under 800 print pages) in under a minute straight to the Kindle. The file sizes are fairly small all things considered. I have not downloaded anything to the computer first.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 07:14   #57

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
What about the DRM on the Kindle? If I drop it can my content be reloaded to a new device? Can I share a book with another kindle user? or something like a sailing group online sharing library we all get kindles and have a place here to upload download books. How proprietary is the kindle format? Can I make my own kindle books for free? Say I have a cruising log or engine notes I want to create and share. Can it be used for note taking? or is just read only? If its a one purpose device I could just get a tablet pc or an IPAQ and download the books in pdf format.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:54   #58

Boat: Tashiba 40
The old Kindle:
Held 200 books but if they were purchased from Amazon you could remove the books to free up memory space and they were always in your Amazon account so you could re-upload them if you wanted to read them.

I bought an extra memory thing to hold any books I downloaded from free or other sites so I would have them if I wanted to re-read.

I can't imagine them getting rid of the USB transfer mechanism (which is just a regular USB cord because the whispertel network is still not available in a lot of areas (like on a boat or on a mountain) and this
would really limit their readership.

One of their experimental features was basically free internet access through the whispertel network and anything you did through the internet you could do on the Kindle, send email, blog, check stocks, read the news...

You cannot share the books you download unless you lend your Kindle.

You can self-publish to the Kindle, but I'm not sure how that works.

As I said, you can blog so if you have a blog site set-up you can take notes and share them as long you are in a whispertel access area.
Old 18-02-2009, 02:40   #59

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler
Angry unfortunately

"Is Kindle 2 available to customers outside the United States?

At this time, we are unable to offer the Amazon Kindle 2 and associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our international customers due to import/export laws and other restrictions. When you place your order for an Amazon Kindle, the shipping address for the delivery must be recognized by our systems as valid U.S. addresses.

To successfully purchase digital content from the Amazon Kindle Store, the 1-Click payment method listed on the Manage Your Kindle page must be a credit or debit card issued by a U.S. Bank with a U.S. billing address. We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle available internationally in the future"

from Amazon's Kindle FAQ
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 04:25   #60
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
We get around that sort of nonsense by maintaining a US address through a mail forwarding service in Florida, which provides a US billing address for a credit card. The vendor is happy to ship to the mail forwarding service, since the card's billing address matches it. This arrangement adds some cost to purchases, but we're able to buy items from vendors who will not otherwise ship overseas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: