Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 02:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Ships Papers

Is there a book someone could recommend that would list all of the "ships papers" that one should carry when cruising?

I keep coming across recommendations, such as a letter from the owner saying that the captain has the right to move the boat within some limitations, even if the owner and captain are husband and wife.

Insurance papers? What else?
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 03:11   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Are you cruising within the USA or internationally?
Old 23-02-2010, 04:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Internationally
Old 23-02-2010, 04:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Is there a book someone could recommend that would list all of the "ships papers" that one should carry when cruising?

I keep coming across recommendations, such as a letter from the owner saying that the captain has the right to move the boat within some limitations, even if the owner and captain are husband and wife.

Insurance papers? What else?
Sailing certificate/qualifications (or good Fotocopy).
Boat registration papers. (As above)
Insurance. (As above)
Radio Licence. (As above)
If not named owner a letter from owner naming you as Skipper.
Cruising Permit if applicable.
Visas/passports of all on board.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 04:39   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
One of cornell's books covers this, but cant remember which.

You also need crew lists, and health certificate from last port.

Good idea to have an official looking ship's stamp so that you can make any additional document look really official.
Old 23-02-2010, 04:47   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Vessel Registration Papers (and evidence of ownership (Bill(s) of Sale) if Registration does not also prove).

Insurance Papers (if you have any).

Passports for all crew (ok, not really "ships papers" - but as Captain, yer responsible to make sure all crew have them and any Visas).

To be honest that's about all on my list when visiting France.

I would also add for some circumstances might be useful to also have evidence that you are still resident "elsewhere" - particularly if staying somewhere for longer periods / wanting to show you are a genuine visitor (ie will be leaving!)..........and not wanting to become a resident local for tax purposes (personally or / and boat).

On the letter of authorisation front - in practice for most pleasure vessels the owner is an individual who is also the captain, so not needed - as owner can do WTF he wants .

For a Captain who is not the Owner their may be circumstances where he / she needs to prove (to Govt Authorities) that they are authorised to use the Vessel. In practice with a husband & wife (she owner / he Captain - or vice verce ) 95% of the time the Owner will be around to give that authorisation, either in writing, verbally or simply by being their...........but their may be circumstances where Owner is not around (returned home for a visit?), boat needs to moved (bad weather? / damage?) - and is then inspected (at sea? / in new port?) where it would be useful to have the blindingly obvious written down........into a Letter of Authorisation......after all, even being married don't give folk automatic authorisation to use the others assets at will.

I dunno about other parts of the world, but my limited experiance of delivery skippers has involved a letter of authorisation to the Delivery Skipper - setting out the area the boat to be used in (not route specific to allow for diversions), the purpose of the trip (delivery ) and a time limit on the Authorisation (allowing for delays)......also has owners contact details to allow verification to ownership docs and by contact.

A Written authorisation would also be usual practice where a Company owns the Boat, albeit if captain could prove he was Director / Owner he could simply show he (as the Company) was giving himself permission.........but IMO a 3 line letter clearly stating this makes things simpler.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 08:51   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
1) boat registration,
2) insurance (if required where you go),
3) power from the owner to run the ship (unless you are the owner)

These are ship papers, then come your papers, but it is a separate issue.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 09:02   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
1) boat registration,
2) insurance (if required where you go),
3) power from the owner to run the ship (unless you are the owner)

These are ship papers, then come your papers, but it is a separate issue.

b.
In Europe I'd add Skippers Qual's to Essential Ships Papers or you may not get out of Port again... as one Skipper/Owner found out when he sailed his 'Cat' into Portimao, Potugal....
Witnessed Fact... not Hearsay...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:41   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57
The skipper's qualifications and paperwork are only relevant for the flag of the vessel, i.e. a British skipper on a British boat needs no qualifications to clear in and out of any country, but the same skipper on a German flagged vessel would need at least the German 'SBF See' or equivalent document.

In your case as a US skipper aboard a US flagged private vessel you need present no qualifications when clearing into/out of countries. The foundations for this are laid down in the 'United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea' and I think somewhere in the IMO. In the example above it must have been that the skipper did not have the requisite qualifications for his vessel's flag, anything else would have been illegal.

Nowadays in the EU states are requiring the skipper to have a SRC/LRC if the boat has a VHF and/or SSB installed (regardless of whether or not it is operable). On a US-flagged boat you might need to present your station license and restricted radiotelephone operator permit (or better), but not when clearing in to a country.
Old 23-02-2010, 13:34   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The skipper's qualifications and paperwork are only relevant for the flag of the vessel, i.e. a British skipper on a British boat needs no qualifications to clear in and out of any country, but the same skipper on a German flagged vessel would need at least the German 'SBF See' or equivalent document.

In your case as a US skipper aboard a US flagged private vessel you need present no qualifications when clearing into/out of countries. The foundations for this are laid down in the 'United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea' and I think somewhere in the IMO. In the example above it must have been that the skipper did not have the requisite qualifications for his vessel's flag, anything else would have been illegal.

Nowadays in the EU states are requiring the skipper to have a SRC/LRC if the boat has a VHF and/or SSB installed (regardless of whether or not it is operable). On a US-flagged boat you might need to present your station license and restricted radiotelephone operator permit (or better), but not when clearing in to a country.
He was a 'Brit' on a 'Brit' boat(His own)... he was told he could not move on unless he had a Skipper with Coastal Skipper ticket minimum...
I had just sailed in on a Delivery with the owners as crew to check my boat was OK before carrying on... the owner of my Delivery boat covered him to get out... then I went alongside the Cat 6 miles down the coast to take him back off and we went on our way....

SRC/LRC.. is that anything like the old VHF licence which I hold at present??

Old 23-02-2010, 14:41   #11
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He was a 'Brit' on a 'Brit' boat(His own)... he was told he could not move on unless he had a Skipper with Coastal Skipper ticket minimum...

I had just sailed in on a Delivery with the owners as crew to check my boat was OK before carrying on... the owner of my Delivery boat covered him to get out... then I went alongside the Cat 6 miles down the coast to take him back off and we went on our way....
Of course the fact that the Portuguese Officials were wrong doesn't help in practice

Quite funny that they not only wanted a foreign (to them) qualification that has no legal licencing basis in the UK (and is arguably of dubious value - apart from to the commercial issuer in £££ notes) but also I doubt is a recognised qualification under Portuguese Law

One can imagine the reaction if a Harbourmaster in Portsmouth introduced an arbitary requirement onto the master of a Portuguese vessel - Cycling Proficency test perhaps before that freighter leaves port?.......which is the reason why the vessel operating regulations of each flag state are respected on a reciprocal basis. Except sometimes in practice

Mainland Europeans sometimes find it difficult to accept the concept of a Govt not licencing many facets of life
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 14:52   #12

Sounds like some sort of local barbarity exercised by a very bored harbour officer. Single fit of sickness that does not confirm the general health of the system. How does the Portuguese authority know what sort of license is required to sail a specific craft in her country of registration? In some countries up to 12m LOA no license required, then what?

I would expect British authorities to request all Portuguese sailors to produce their licenses in each and every harbour of the UK they visit. But since the Brits have some real jobs to perform I know my wish will remain a wish.

So, much as driver's license is not a 'boat paper' then, still, yes, add to the list:

- some sort of 'captains license' (with a lot of important looking seals best, just in case you ever sail to Portugal ;-)

b.
Old 25-02-2010, 01:03   #13

Boat: Swan 56
And don't forget the boat stamp whatever you do !!

An official document is not an official document until it has been ceremonialy stamped with the official boatstamp.

Seemed to be very important when I visited the Andaman Islands (Indian). They were astounded that I had managed to leave Hong Kong, check in and out of the Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand without a boat stamp ..... shaking their heads in disbelief they were.

So - captains licence for Potugal, ships stamp for India.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 19:29   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Condenses list

OK guys, thanks for all the help.

I have condensed this all down to a list. It would still be helpful to see some examples (e.g., Letter of Authorization) If I come across such I will post the source.

It sounds like it would also be useful to have a document that explains the need (or lack thereof) of some "qualifications." Perhaps printed in several languages (including Portuguese.) I wonder if SSCA has such a thing?

SHIPS PAPERS
1 - Sailing certificate/qualifications (or good Fotocopy).
2 - Boat registration papers. (As above)(and evidence of ownership (Bill(s) of Sale) if Registration does not also prove).
3 - Insurance. (As above)
4 - Radio Licence. (As above)
5 - Letter of Authorization - If not named owner a letter from owner naming you as Skipper. Proof (to 6 - Govt Authorities) that they are authorized to use the Vessel.
7 - Cruising Permit if applicable.
8 - Visas/passports of all on board.
9 - Crew lists,
10 - Health certificate from last port.
11 - Ship's stamp
12 - Evidence that you are still resident "elsewhere"
Old 28-02-2010, 10:08   #15

Yes, the list is OK.

Still, we sailed round-the world with:
- boat registration (original onboard),
- passports,
only.

So, treat the list as a happy optimum-maximum rather than a bare minimum.

In two places, we found that our yellow books (same with mariner's inocuation certificate) were well worth having. In one place, we decided to buy local third-party insurance as otherwise private marinas would not like to have us.

I have never been asked for any proof of my competence, nor radio license nor anything. But this may be so because I am the owner of my boat.

b.