Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-11-2005, 11:47   #16

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer

You keyed in on an important part of my sentence, "just as I do." Believe it or not, I came back here to change just those few little words. I meant to have said, "just as I try to do with everyone." There is only one whom is perfect. I am not he. Your charge is just. I'm sorry for the wrong that was done to you.

Ps 139:9-10

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 16:18   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
For what it is worth I got this very nice email from the new owners of Sailnet.

Pre-Press Release: and SailNet tie the knot (a bowline of course!)
Date: Tuesday November 1, 2005

We want you, our Community, to know first.

It is with great pleasure and lots of excitement that we announce a new Captain at the helm of your SailNet Community. After several months in the doldrums, the southern winds have propelled SailNet north to merge with Providing boaters with name-brand products and top-rated service since 1997, is one of the Web's leading e-commerce sites.

Sailnet's decade-long legacy of serving the sailing community will continue. The interactive forums, articles and other links on the website are operational today. Over the next couple of weeks we will re-launch an upgraded website, activate the SailNet email lists and introduce you to a new and expanded sailing store.

Most importantly, with the solid backing of, access to the SailNet Community continues to be FREE.

The New Crew is fully committed.
We value your continued support of the SailNet Community which has been recognized as "Best of the Web" for content, resources and community four years in a row by Forbes Magazine. SailNet's new Crew understands that it is because of you that this recognition has been bestowed.

We would like to hear your thoughts on the SailNet Community and your suggestions for future enhancements. Please visit to contact us. We look forward to serving your needs.

Rob Proctor
CEO, / SailNet

It sounds good to me.

Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:58   #18

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Hi, Jeff - sorry again for the delay in contacting you. Patricia's finished surgery #2 (yesterday) and is on the mend, and the SSCA seminar is now prepped; hopefully, we'll talk soon.

Yes, the 'new Sailnet' pitch certainly does sound good. It sounds just as good as many other web commerce sites & as good as the 'old Sailnet', right up until it imploded. Let's just not lose sight of how cheap talk can be on the Web. Since it was the rights to the trade name that was purchased by and not an operational business, staff or inventory, perhaps we can hear from some current/former customers here? It would be helpful to hear a bit about their track record. Does anyone even know where they are based (their site doesn't seem to tell us)?

A word of caution: 'new Sailnet' customers will probably want to review's shipping & return guidelines if ordering from this vendor, as these are different from what we encountered with the 'old Sailnet'. E.g. I don't think most of us are accustomed to potentially being billed shipping charges different from those quoted at the time of order nor to pay a fee to return defective merchandise. (See )

I must sound like a real nag...sorry, fellas. It's just that experience keeps (trying to) teach us caution when embracing any web commerce vendor...and doubly so until we come to understand the new vendor to whom we take our business.

WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 11:44   #19

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34 GREYHAWK

At the bottom of the e-mail we all got from "The New SailNet Crew" there was this:

"This email has been sent as part of your SailNet membership. Your email address has not been given to any third parties. SaiNet will continue to control all e-mail delivery to assure your privacy. If you no longer wish to receive any further correspondence from SailNet please click here. headquarters is located at 381 Brinton Lake Road, Thornton Pennsylvania 19373."

Don't know if that is where is based, but at least it is a physical address, resolvable by, although it's not clear just what is at that address, looking at 1999 aerial photos ( and satellite imagery (

Tim Allen
My Boat Projects and Sailing Stories
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:44   #20

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42

I have purchased a few items from and received them within a few days. I made a mistake on one order and they refunded the entire amount of the item. Of course I paid the shipping back to them since it was my fault.

It appears to me that purchased Sailnet's name since it's BB already had a loyal following. This should be a good move for them if they are financial sound.

rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:20   #21

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Well, I nominate Tim as the new Magnum! Thanks, Tim. I notice there is no reply (yet) to my queries on the Sailnet message board.

Thanks to Roger, as well. Getting some more feedback from customers would serve everyone's interests, I would think.

WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:52   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Received from Cheryl Boyle:

< quote>

I'm writing to tell you that SAILjazz is modifying the subscription plan.

Based on the responses we received, we're electing to dramatically reduce
the editorial content
on the site. There is no point in delivering a
product that people do not want. In turn, we are also reducing the annual
subscription to $12
. This will cover the remaining site resources as well
as fund the lists. Everyone can subscribe either annually at $12 or
Quarterly at $4.

The reduction in Editorial removes a substantial cost from the equation. We
intend to focus future development on improving the lists to deliver the
best service we can. While we know that free services can provide an
alternative, we also see the desire of many to have a service based on high
standards and active management. Our list are governed by a set of rules
that prohibit spam, flame wars, obnoxious posters and other nuisances
commonly found on the internet.

We fully appreciate that you may be quite happy with an alternate list/site
that you've joined. If so, please accept our sincere best wishes. If
you're not satisfied, or if you change your mind in the future, then know
that SAILjazz will be there.

For those who did subscribe under the original offer, do not worry, we have
not charged your credit card. We will wait 5 days and then process a
subscription for you at the new price of $12 per year or $4 for the Quarter
(based on whatever you selected). If you would prefer not to do this then
please let us know by this coming Sunday.

For those who did not subscribe, we welcome your participation as a
subscriber. Non-subscribing accounts will be removed from the lists over
the next few days as we modify the site to accommodate this change.

Thanks again for your past support.

Fair Winds,

Cheryl Boyle
< end quote >
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:51   #23

interesting. Sounds like everyone bailed....

Stormy Monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: