Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2006, 12:22   #1

Sailing Books

Hi.. all
I've been looking for a good book. that will teach "how to sail". I recently did a RYA dayskipper course. Do you know about any book that will cover most everthing, navigation use of sail, weather, cruising, etc.

Happy sailing
Gudsteinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 13:47   #2

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Book

You will start with just one book but when you have finished it you will want another. Sail power by Wallace Ross will teach you more than you can absorb about sail trim. It is not a learn to sail book. Likely the books as used by the sailing schools and clubs would be good. I do not have a copy, the students bring their own and the teaching commmander lets us know what is on the agenda. The Nature of Boats by David Gerr is an excellent all round book about boats but again it is not a learn to sail book.
If you were in my area and keen I would take you out on my boat. You may find someone like that in your area. But you must be keen. You can not learn it all in a few lessons. If I had a new keen crew that sailed every week throughout the year, I would say that they would learn a lot by the end of the year. From there I would say buy a boat and good luck.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 14:46   #3

Smile

Thank you Mike...It's very helpful.

I'm in Reykjavik Iceland now. So i'm ain't going to sail next days. There is no weather for sailing here these days. But i intend to buy a boat later. I want to use the dark winter months to read and prepare. And dream about sweet sunny cruise
Gudsteinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2006, 15:26   #4

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Gudsteinn - If you do a search on Amazon.com you will find many titles under "learn to sail". Annapolis is pretty good. So is Learn to Sail by Dennis Connor.
Sailing is easy. You get the wind in the sails and away you go. From then on there is a lifetime of learning. You might order one of these technical book that help with the basics...terms and techniques, but most sailors like to read sailing adventure stories, and there are lots. They give you information about sailing, plus some good entertainment along the way. Welcome

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote