Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06   #1

Sailing / Adventure Books for Kids?

My daughter is 9 years old and likes to read. Can you recommend any good books with adventures and sailboats in them? Thanks in advance.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
For her age group, the "Swallows and Amazons" series is probably as good a way of stimulating interest as any - it worked on me!

Tristan Jones books for enjoyment (dont make the mistake of believing they are anything more than loosely based on his adventures)

For the older children, Bernard Cornwell's sailing based books such as "Stormchild".

"Sell up and sail" for the late teen

Patrick O'Brian provides lots of sailing adventure, but probably appeals more to the adult reader.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47   #3

Thanks!
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00   #4

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
One of my favorites when I was that age... "The Lion's Paw" by Robb White. It was out of print for a long time but when I googled the title for this post --- it's back in print.

Buy Now
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:39   #5

Boat: Ericson 35' Mk II - Madrigal
Send a message via AIM to jenny.caron
While they are not solely about sailing, I think the Emily Windsnap series is great for that age. Emily is a girl who lives on a boat with her mother. She finds out she is a mermaid and goes on fantastical adventures under the sea. There is some sailing involved as well, with the old boat they live on.

Jenny
Jigsaw Indexing - indexing can be puzzling. We're here to help.
jenny.caron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:09   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I am sitting on my boat in the Panama jungle because of reading one single book: The Cabin Boys of Bontekoe. This book changed my life.

It's based on the real voyage as written by Captain Bontekoe in his journal. They recently made a movie too (with English subtitles). I don't know if the book is published in English. The original Dutch title is "De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe".

see:

De Scheepsjongens van Bontekoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Willem Ysbrandtsz. Bontekoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 00:54   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Goodness.. I have just finished re-reading Robinson Crusoe and Treasure Island. I don't think Miss 9 Year Old will come at either of them as they haven't stood the test of (modern) time.

Perhaps if you could find modern abridged versions?

Kids these days are devouring Harry Potter and the action, images and terrific vocab in them means that the old slow moving Classics are just crap to them! And crap to me too! If I hear Robinson say Woe Is Me one more time I will friggin keel haul him!

Master and Commander is a good read. She cant get all the sailing terms.. but then nor can we.. but the pace and modern structure will suit her.

I think the Hornblower series would be good.... but you MUST start her on the first of the series and do the in order. Not only was C. S. Forester writing simply but the stories are sequential. Also get her the videos of the BBC series. Ioan Gruffudd is not only an utter hunk for a 9 year old girl, the TV series kept closely to the quality of the books. His acting is quality stuff. The other cast is superb and Robert Lindsay is a standout! Being a comedic actor its a wonder he has fit so well in that series.

Don't be deceived by trantrums played out by a 9 year old... they really are quite sophisticated and need some good stuff to keep them interested. The videos will keep her interested in the books too. Master and Commander is excellent!

Good luck

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 20:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 411 "Dragonfly"
Ok... we have a 9 yr old daughter, and you're right, MarkJ - Treasure Island does NOT do it. Anyway, it's not really about sailing these days as it is a bit of a history lesson.

Try "Dolphin Diaries" by Ben M. Baglio. The family in the book is sailing around the world studying dolphins - OMG, can it get any more perfect for a 9-yr old girl??

Jen
Dragonfly
Old 07-04-2009, 18:51   #9

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I wanted to second Dolphin Diaries and Swallows and Amazons.

Also look in to the book Nim's Island (the movie is cute too)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 17:19   #10

Thumbs up : ) the boy Who sailed around the world alone

Ahh well i read "the bot who sailed around the world alone" and iv been down in the dumps lately in life, and so the book gave me the idea too do the same : ) im 14 turning 15 in huly and i plan too set out at 16 and my parents have actually approved and soo far are backing me up on it. Soo all in all i think it would be an amassing book for anyone too read most deffinitly good for Children look it has givin me a reason too move forward and a dream that i am going too live out : ). i am looking into a 33 foot cruiser.
dove111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 17:45   #11

voyage of the frog, very fun book to read when I was younger.
moonie5961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 18:07   #12

Boat: Buizen 48
Thumbs up Thank you

I'd like to thank everyone who posted to this thread.

My dearest friends have a son who I have adopted like he's my own. His parent's have nickname him "My protege". My personal goal is to teach him to sail "Blue Sovereign" so he may one day be its Captain.

I was just earlier today thinking: "What do I give him this year for his birthday?" (every year it is something nautically oriented)

This thread has provided the exact thing I'd like to give to him.

Again, "Good on you mate" to you all!

William aka 'The PIRATE'
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 20:38   #13

ahh i meant the boy who sailed around the world i messed up when typing that lol
dove111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:12   #14

Boat: Sadler 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
For her age group, the "Swallows and Amazons" series is probably as good a way of stimulating interest as any - it worked on me!

Tristan Jones books for enjoyment (dont make the mistake of believing they are anything more than loosely based on his adventures)

For the older children, Bernard Cornwell's sailing based books such as "Stormchild".

"Sell up and sail" for the late teen

Patrick O'Brian provides lots of sailing adventure, but probably appeals more to the adult reader.
I agree, I happen to have a mooring in "Swallows and Amazons country" it is a beautiful spot. We sometimes take the dingy onto the salt marsh and pick Sampfire (its a bit like asparagus).

Happy days
islanderskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids