Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2004, 03:40   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Planetary Alignment

Alignment won't happen again for three decades

Tuesday, March 23, 2004 (Posted: 2320 GMT)

CAPE CANAVERAL, Florida (AP) -- Five planets are arrayed across the evening sky in a spectacular night show that won't be back for another three decades.

For the next two weeks, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn -- the five closest planets -- should be easily visible at dusk, along with the moon.

"It's semi-unique," said Myles Standish, an astronomer at Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California. "They're all on the same side of the sun and stretched across the sky and that's what is kind of pretty."

Standish missed Monday evening's opportunity, but said Tuesday that he will gaze up when he walks his dog this week and next. He expects mountains and bright city lights to hamper his view, however.

The planetary lineup will be visible to the naked eye every night for an hour after sunset from around the world through early April. At the end of the year, the same five planets will reunite for a few weeks, but in the pre-dawn hours.

Standish said this particular planetary grouping may offer the best nighttime views until 2036.

The orbits of the five planets take them to the same side of the sun every few years or so. The conditions have to be just right for all five planets to be clearly visible at dusk or dawn; Mercury is often tough to catch. Even rarer are so-called alignments, where the planets are clustered together in the sky; this is not one of those.

Stargazers should look to the western horizon just after sunset. Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn will be lined up in the sky with Jupiter close to the eastern horizon. They will span about 135 degrees. Saturn will be almost directly overhead.

And from NASA (also with further links):
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/alignment.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 05:24   #2

And last night there was a nice conjuctiontion of the moon and venus in the evening sky. It took my daughter to slow me down long enough and point it out to me.

I can't wait to get out on the boat and take more notice of these things...

Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 07:17   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
PLanets

Thanks for the link Gord. We were able to see them quite clearly on Tuesday evening, but I had not yet determined which ones they were. A few of us are taking the CN course so it was of interest. Michael Casling
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 14:38   #4
sjs

I concur with Exposure. Regrettfully, I never notice this kind of thing unless I am on a boat. Thanks for the wake up call.
sjs is offline   Reply With Quote