Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2011, 07:09   #1

Maritime Trading Fantasy

I'd like to recommend a trilogy by Robin Hobb, a very renowned writer of her day. The book(s) centers around the Vestrit family, traders for generations, and their merchant vessel Vivacia, newly become sentient by the death on deck of her third captain.
So, a magiccaly live ship? I know, that sounds incredibly corny. But it works - because the author is very skillfull. Much of the plot is centered either in various ships, or in the home ports.

If anyone has read it, or will read it now, I'd very much appreciate your opinion, as I'm working in a nautical shop, and am currently trying to get my boss convinced that it's interesting for sea urchins to buy. Some good reviews from 40 year old sea going males would make it much more plausible, than a recomendation from a 19 year old girl

Here's a tidbit from a amazon review:
"This is the starting point for a story that, while set in a fictional world that includes the magic of liveships and wizardwood and the fantasy of sea serpents, is actually a monumental family saga in the finest sea-faring tradition of the 17th and 18th century British empire - merchants, slaves, pirates, meat hunting ships, strict codes of decorum and family behaviour, religion and the harsh justice familiar to readers of Dickens' novels that was meted out to those who defaulted on debt."

An a link to another review.
Book review of Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb | Fantasy Book News

Oh. And since it's three books with around 800 pages each, you should like to read before you start tackling them.
Old 30-05-2011, 10:35   #2

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Exclamation Re: Maritime Trading Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronner View Post
Some good reviews from 40 year old sea going males would make it much more plausible, than a recomendation from a 19 year old girl .
Not trying to nit-pick you or anything, but wasn’t Mary Shelley reputedly about that age when she wrote “Frankenstein”? As soon as I scanned her work I was absorbed by the scenes of nautical imagery.

The real tip might be not to exclude 50% of the population and in particular a fraction thereof demonstrating youth? As further evidence you might also suggest your boss stocks ‘’The Compleat Cruiser’’ by L. Francis Herreshoff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: