Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2009, 01:17   #16
Registered User
 
James S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Posts: 5,816
Images: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
A bit before Victoria's time
Guess I should have said the Crown.
Thanks for the nice write-up
__________________

__________________
James
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:38   #17
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
The crown and the monarch are slightly different

Crown is the state or establishment, of which the monarch is the head.

ie, the crown own all the foreshore and therefore the monarch takes all title of goods therein like washed up salvage but in reality, it doesnt actually belong to the reigning monarch, usually the receiver of shipwrecks or insurance company underwriting the loss.

Sadly, so few British people know anything about their own country, and a recent survey of juinior school kids showed hardly any knew what the queen did, or even who jesus was.

We arnt encouraged to be proud of our nation or to celebrate historical victories like Trafalgar.

Kids know more about jordan, paris hilton and david beckham than they do about chrsitmas or easter
__________________

__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 04:55   #18
Registered User
 
Boomp's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
Posts: 254
It's a world blight

Same here...likely even worse. That's the burden of what humans dub as 'progress'. Before 'clickers', before 'computers' [hmmm] I could go on, but this is why people sail. Even then while we bring some of the technical things with us. We strive to appriciate Jerimiah Johnson, Lord Nelson, Slocumb and a multitude of others who set the pace for adventure. Half of our newspapers today are so called entertainment pages or contrived and often fan flamed 'stuff' that is in reality garbage....ie the 'rain here may lead to swarms of dangerous mosquitoes', 'top notch plumber retrieves artificial eyeball from sink drain''President swats fly'....So Paris, Depp, and others are nothing but fodder to fodder...its a 'sign' of the time we live in. I rant...I'd rather sail, Sorry.

Gotta get the movie and pay attention to my 'longitude'!
__________________
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:10   #19
Registered User
 
James S's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
Posts: 5,816
Images: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
The crown and the monarch are slightly different

Crown is the state or establishment, of which the monarch is the head.

ie, the crown own all the foreshore and therefore the monarch takes all title of goods therein like washed up salvage but in reality, it doesnt actually belong to the reigning monarch, usually the receiver of shipwrecks or insurance company underwriting the loss.

Sadly, so few British people know anything about their own country, and a recent survey of juinior school kids showed hardly any knew what the queen did, or even who jesus was.

We arnt encouraged to be proud of our nation or to celebrate historical victories like Trafalgar.

Kids know more about jordan, paris hilton and david beckham than they do about chrsitmas or easter
So I STILL got it wrong....damn

I wont give it another go....but I will say that I'm American so may be excused for my ignorance of your culture.
It doesn’t excuse my ignorance of my culture however
__________________
James
S/V Arctic Lady
I love my boat, I can't afford not to!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 10:51   #20
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,967
It's certainly worth a visit to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich to see some of Harrison's clocks - including H4 that won the prize.

Then off to a one of the excellent nearby pubs to have a pint or two of bitter and contemplate what it felt like to steer a 170ft ship through a stormy night with no idea of your longitude.

Carl
__________________
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 12:27   #21
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
So I STILL got it wrong....damn

I wont give it another go....but I will say that I'm American so may be excused for my ignorance of your culture.
It doesn’t excuse my ignorance of my culture however
Hunni, your far from ignorant, your a very tallented shipwirght.

If the US had watched as much UK tv as the uk has watched US tv, maybe the tables would be turned.
There was a topic on BBC Radio2 today about the British knowledge of all things American and how, due to TV its made us more knowledgable than we are of our European neighbours
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2009, 12:31   #22
Registered User
 
anjou's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Malvernshire, on the sunny side of the hill.
Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It's certainly worth a visit to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich to see some of Harrison's clocks - including H4 that won the prize.

Then off to a one of the excellent nearby pubs to have a pint or two of bitter and contemplate what it felt like to steer a 170ft ship through a stormy night with no idea of your longitude.

Carl
I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Greenwich as the instruments in the observatory are outstanding. And thats not all, for at the bottom of the hill is the Royal Naval Hospital which exhibits the most exquisit Naval artwork and furniture.

Less than 200 yds from there is the Cutty Sark but sadly off limits as she suffered a severe fire 3 years ago
__________________
www.amy-artimis.blogspot.com
anjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2009, 01:44   #23
Moderator
 
Paul Elliott's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,867
Images: 4
If you get a chance to stop by the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England, you can see in person some of Harrison's clocks (and stand on the Prime Meridian!). A humbling and very interesting experience.

The A&E movie based on the book stars Jeremy Irons and Michael Gambon (as Harrison). Available on DVD, this is an excellent production, and I found it quite moving. The book is also a must-have.

(edit: Oops! I hadn't seen page two of this thread. But do visit the Observatory if you can!)
__________________

__________________
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Determining Longitude outdoor Navigation 23 22-06-2009 20:23
Great Cruising Book!!! seakitty The Library 0 15-12-2007 00:06
Great Sail, Great Gale, a Little Carnage and Lessons Learned CharlieCobra Seamanship & Boat Handling 7 08-12-2007 18:05
great book kingfish The Library 1 18-09-2004 10:24
Great book for cruisers Gisle The Library 1 25-02-2003 23:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.