Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 23:50   #31

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham

I think all the e-ink style readers use the exact same display, so the kindle and nook would rate equally on this score. It really does look like paper. I haven't had mine (a kobo) out in super bright sunlight, so I'll defer to others, but I think other posters have said that it works fine, unlike an ipad, nexus, etc. style display.
There are differences, later versions such as e ink pearl have whiter whites, faster response time etc. Still miles better than LCD whichever version you get.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:30   #32

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Kindle or Nook?

I have both a Kindle (DX) and an iPad. I prefer the kindle for reading, as you can read perfectly outside, and it doesn't use a lot of power. So for reading en route it's perfect. And the whispernet connection means I can even buy books when I'm sailing...
The iPad I use for email, web browsing and getting weather updates. Since I need a Wifi connection for that this means I use it only in harbors, and there the power requirements are not a big issue.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:48   #33

Boat: Prout 37

With a Kindle 3G/Wifi,You can send and read your e-mail, read newspapers,all for free. I also have an Ipad. Kindle much better for reading.
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:13   #34

I've downloaded the Kindle software both on my iPhone and my MacBook Pro and have been happy with that - can read books on both, the 'cloud' keeps up with where I am in any given book between the two devices, and I didn't purchase yet another device to have round
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55   #35

Boat: Heritage East 40

Kindle here
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:59   #36

Boat: Seaward 22

Kindle Fire here. Can't read it in the sun. Need to try a non-glare screen cover.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:46   #37

Two first-generation NOOKs here, sharing one account so we can read the same book at the same time. At the time we chose them, NOOK's was the only format our public library supported. Love the e-ink, very easy to read, exactly the way a paper book would be. that is, in a glary situation, you use sunglasses, at night, either red headlamp or a cover with built-in LED reading light, etc.

And the pages don't get moldy the way a paper book would
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 15:44   #38

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Nook simple touch here. Cheap, easy to use. I wanted it for reading nothing else. Battery lasts forever! i have no kindle experience but I would bet that it is just a personal choice.
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 14:12   #39

Boat: Picaroon - 40' Hardin Sea Wolf Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to heatherbrie

We went with the 3g Kindle with keyboard and e-ink, specifically because of the ability to get access to the internet for basic email and weather. Ours died because I poured a glass of water on it (D'oh) so I can't say how long that 50 MB limit will affect us, but that's a heckuva lot of gmail used in HTML mode, I would think more than enough for the limited access to check email and weather in remote anchorages where there's cell (which has been everywhere in the Caribbean so far) but no wi-fi access. It's been well worth the cost. There's a post on our blog on how to access the internet with the 3G kindle - you have to dig a bit in the menus.
How to Get Free Secret Internet on the Cheapo Kindle | Picaroon Blog
Old 19-08-2012, 15:23   #40

Boat: Cal 2-27

I just got the google nexus 7, 16 gb fire 250. You can get the 8 gb for 200. Best tablet I have used.

you can use navionics on it, Judy need to side load.
Old 20-08-2012, 22:06   #41

Just like boat sail, I just got the Nexus 7. Lo e it and the 7 inch size. Loading it up with my apps now. I use the Kindle app. Looks so my h better that on my phone. I am looking for a navigation app now.
Hunter30 #22
mjf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 22:31   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
Just like boat sail, I just got the Nexus 7. Lo e it and the 7 inch size. Loading it up with my apps now. I use the Kindle app. Looks so my h better that on my phone. I am looking for a navigation app now.
Try navionics and mx mariner. Those are the two that I use and like.
Old 20-08-2012, 22:33   #43

This thing blows the iPad out of the water for the price, and does more than t the kindle got Just a not more dough.

Ps. I have an iPad from work and like this better.
Old 20-08-2012, 23:08   #44

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We opted for Nooks -- the cheapest version with what they call a 'liquid ink' screen. It is smaller but with the same view-able screen size as the Kindles or regular Nooks. Biggest difference is that it is perfectly readable in sunlight, whereas the other screens are not. So easy to read while lounging in the cockpit on a bright sunny day. Ours have touch screens, making turning pages easy (also can use the buttons on the top side of the frame for same purpose). Hover your finger over a word and it highlights and a tool bar appears on the bottom 1/2" of the screen, where you can tap 'look-up' and get the definition or explanation of that highlighted word. We have been able to purchase ebooks for our Nook in countries where our friends were not able to purchase for their Kindles. We download books to our computer and then transfer to our Nooks via WiFi.

The only deficiency of the Nook version that we have is that it would have been so easy to have included an email option since it has WiFi already. They sort of missed the boat by failing to include that option.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 23:37   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
This thing blows the iPad out of the water for the price, and does more than t the kindle got Just a not more dough.

Ps. I have an iPad from work and like this better.

That is quit an endorsement. What is it about the Nexus that makes you feel that way? I am seriously considering one.