Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-07-2012, 13:45   #16

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Re: Kindle or Nook?

iPad is the best, then you can just download the Kindle app or Kobo app or both or whatever.

Then the iPad can be used with the millions of other apps, including navigation.

Old 23-07-2012, 14:02   #17

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have the Kindle, or I should say Connie has it !! we went with it because we could use the Librarys for free! and the amount of books available are just unbelieveable!!and free! we don't need it for anything but reading! We have many other ways to contact folks, SSB, Computers, cell phones Ect, but the Kindle for what it do works for us to be able to read the newest books out!! at no cost !! forget Amazon LOL we just like to read at night when we have watchs to stand !!(of course the weather has to be good LOL) just our 2 cents !!

Old 23-07-2012, 14:07   #18

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I like that the older Kindle styles are not backlit. You can read them in direct sunlight and they have ridiculously long battery life. The 3g model offeres free 3g if you connect to amazon to download new books. I don't need my E- reader to be a computer, so the ability to read in sunlight, battery life and ability to easy and cheaply download books are my highest criteria. FYI- Turn the wireless/3g connection off unless you browsing and buying books to extend batt. life even more.
This is a good point; like everything it depends in large part on what you are looking for.

If you want to use it solely for books and don't care about color, these older Kindles are still the best. My problem with them is I keep wanting touchscreen, I find the buttons awkward. But that is a small complaint on an otherwise solid device. I really like the look of the screen and e-ink, much better than the books on a tablet (the older Nooks are similar). The price on these have come way down.

If you want more computer-like capabilities, the current winner is the Nexus 7. It has made the Nook and Kindle Fire obsolete in the tablet wars (although rumors are the next Kindle tablet will re-take the lead). The biggest complaint about the Nexus is no SD card, and you can only get 16G of memory. Having said that, how many books is that? Can anyone read that many in their life? (HD movies, not so much, but on Google Play you buy the movie and they keep it "in the cloud" until you want to watch it). The other issue is no 3G, so you have to get somewhere that has wi-fi and download everything you want until your next wifi access.

tl;dr: If you read mostly in the light and only want it for books/magazines, get the older Kindle (or Nook). If you read mostly at night or in dim light and/or want other capabilities such as maps, games, apps, movies, etc, get the Nexus 7 (or, as someone mentioned, the iPad -- for a couple hundred more, but better in many ways, worse in a few).
Old 23-07-2012, 14:35   #19

Boat: Catalina 34

We've got an iPad2 and a Nook. The nook is better for simply reading because the screen is better in sunlight. However, you can access Nook books (B&N), Kindle books (Amazon), and anything in Apples iBooks store with the iPad. You also obviously have the advantage of all the other useful cruising apps on the iPad.
Old 26-07-2012, 12:19   #20

I opted for a Sony TRS-1. It handles pdf documents pretty well. Used this website : eBook Reader Reviews, eReader and Tablet News, Free eBooks that does a bit of comparison between all the readers.

I wanted black/white e-ink to read without my eyes getting tired. Read too much from laptop as it is. Have to say, though, lots of e-books only come out in Kindle format. So, it you don't have one then you need to convert. That sounds like a hassle.

My books? I read lots of no-longer-published info from Gutenberg and other esoteric websites. Otherwise, I still read paperback books. When we finally get aboard, I may have to redefine my book reading prospects.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2012, 00:29   #21

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

What do the Kindle/eReaders here in the forum use for night time reading? A clip on light? Do they exist in a version that doesn't damage night vision to much?
Old 02-08-2012, 00:48   #22

Boat: Alberg 30
I use a Sony, cover has a built in flexible necked led with diffuser works great. Light takes one triple a battery.

Touchscreen, cover and latest e ink(better contrast).

Just as important is software, I use calibre which allows me to import and sort and load. It's open source and often updated.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:48   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I've got the Kindle leather cover with built in LED light. My early Kindle clips into the cover and powers the light. The light pulls out when you want to use it or is pushed back in out of sight when you don't. Very compact and you don't have to mess around adjusting the light as you do with a clip on. It wipes out night vision because the light is so bright. The cover is also expensive at $60 plus. Does seem to be relatively indestructible as I keep falling asleep while reading in bed and dropping it with the Kindle on the floor.

Did I hear that the newest Kindle's have a built in LED back light or was that just wishful thinking??
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29   #24

Boat: Niagara 35

I use the same light as I use for any book... A headlamp with red LED to preserve my night vision.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Can you read the Nook in BRIGHT daylight? I don't know, I'm just asking because, any device that can NOT be read in bright sunlight doesn't even rate consideration from me..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:35   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
What do the Kindle/eReaders here in the forum use for night time reading? A clip on light? Do they exist in a version that doesn't damage night vision to much?
The same device that I use to see/read ANYTHING at night.. A red led headlamp...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 13:07   #27

I'm about to replace my Kindle with a Nexus 7...but I'm currently on land. If I were aboard, the Kindle would win hands down for incredible battery life, low cost, and visibility in sunlight.
Old 02-08-2012, 13:15   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i read real books in daylight and with a led lamp in night when i want to read. when i am on watch-at night i dont read, and in daylight i fish. when i fish, i read a book or charts. i only use puter on land or at dock
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 13:40   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Can you read the Nook in BRIGHT daylight? I don't know, I'm just asking because, any device that can NOT be read in bright sunlight doesn't even rate consideration from me..
I think all the e-ink style readers use the exact same display, so the kindle and nook would rate equally on this score. It really does look like paper. I haven't had mine (a kobo) out in super bright sunlight, so I'll defer to others, but I think other posters have said that it works fine, unlike an ipad, nexus, etc. style display.
Old 02-08-2012, 14:09   #30

Yes! The e-ink technology is very different from the LCD flatscreens you see on PCs, laptops, TVs, and phones. All of those light up. E-ink readers have NO light. They don't glow. You read them the same way you read a paper book, by the light falling on it. E-ink does not wash out in sunlight, any more than a sheet of paper does.

The other advantage is that E-ink displays require no power, or virtually none, except when the display changes. My Kindle can go for months in standby mode between charges, and lasts a couple of weeks or so when it's being actively used.

The downside of e-ink is that it is black and white only...no color. And no animations or video stuff.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: