Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 11:34   #1
cruiser

It's a Start.

Well, a rough draft of our website is up and running. I had to get it ready in a rush due to some marketing that took place a little more quickly than I was ready for.

I have several pictures left to add, and still need to tweak the copy a little but, but..... here it is:

http://www.bnbonthewater.com

Be gentle! ha ha ha

Seriously... any criticism is welcome.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:40   #2

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Captain Sean - much better photo ! Site looks great.

capt lar

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48   #3
cruiser

Thanks..

Thanks, Capt Lar. There is a photo of Cuttyhunk in there under the Activities link. No cruise of Buzzard's Bay is complete without that stop. Uh oh... now we'll probably have more people filling up the harbor.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
MATE!!!!! that is sweeeet. Very nice.
The only negative I could see is the limit of two adults and one child. Anyway you could squezze and extra child in??? I could imagine one would be limiting to most families. However, I also imagine this type of charter is going to attract couples only anyway, like honeymooners etc. As it looks real romantic. And for couples that have family, why would they want to bring the kids.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30   #5

Boat: Ensenada 20
Looking good! Classy!

I learned to sail in Long Island Sound and have many great memories of Block Island, Montauk, Essex on the CT river, several Long Island ports. Have some scary memories too of getting caught in out-or-nowhere fog so dense you could hardly see your nose while hearing ferry or tanker fog horns from what seemed like all directions!! This was when Loran was our navigation "aid", and on one of the foggiest occasions our Loran went "out."

I think you have an excellent approach in an affluent area and expect you will do well as the word gets around. I wish you great success!!

I know the site is under construction, but I noticed a couple of errors spell check will not pick up -- e.g. 'Weather' where you mean "Whether." There were one or two others along that line that I'm sure you would have picked up on anyway.

Bob
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 13:05   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Alan Wheeler once whispered in the wind:
MATE!!!!! that is sweeeet. Very nice.
The only negative I could see is the limit of two adults and one child. Anyway you could squezze and extra child in??? I could imagine one would be limiting to most families. However, I also imagine this type of charter is going to attract couples only anyway, like honeymooners etc. As it looks real romantic. And for couples that have family, why would they want to bring the kids.
Thanks, Wheels. I appreciate the compliment. Funny you should mention the 1 child limit. We were wrestling with that. The issue is that the children would have to sleep in the salon since we occupy the v-berth and the guests occupy the master stateroom. The pull-oul setee method makes it a little bit cramped, and we worried about having to convert the salon from sleeping area to breakfast area.

Maybe we should take the limit away, and just see what the families want to do. Thanks for the helpful critique.
Old 10-12-2005, 13:16   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Lightfin once whispered in the wind:
Looking good! Classy!

I learned to sail in Long Island Sound and have many great memories of Block Island, Montauk, Essex on the CT river, several Long Island ports. Have some scary memories too of getting caught in out-or-nowhere fog so dense you could hardly see your nose while hearing ferry or tanker fog horns from what seemed like all directions!! This was when Loran was our navigation "aid", and on one of the foggiest occasions our Loran went "out."

I think you have an excellent approach in an affluent area and expect you will do well as the word gets around. I wish you great success!!

I know the site is under construction, but I noticed a couple of errors spell check will not pick up -- e.g. 'Weather' where you mean "Whether." There were one or two others along that line that I'm sure you would have picked up on anyway.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I love Essex! That was a momentus occasion in my sailing past as well. One of the most memorable trips I had was aboard a 30' Catalina out of Essex. We crossed the Sound and went to 3 Mile Harbor to watch the fireworks put on to benefit the Boys and Girls Club of NY. I have yet to see another fireworks show as good as those. The way the light reflects off the water around your boat (you anchor to watch) is just amazing. They are put on just for the boats, so they shoot the shells up over the harbor. Plus the town of Essex is a great stop. Hope we do some charters to there this summer.

UGH.... spelling errors. Don't be so sure of me catching them. I'm an idiot when it comes to trying to catch them. My mind puts in the correct word as I read, even if the wrong one is there.

Good old New England fog. It can make for some crazy times. Much better now with GPS and Radar. Isn't it funny how the Loran went out when you needed it most? Perfect example of the need to have more than one way to do something like navigate. Cool story.
Old 10-12-2005, 13:25   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sean.. The site looks great. Nice easy navigation and photos. Clean looking.

I agree on taking off the one child limit.

Now how and where to market the site. Going to do any link trading? Let me know if you want a link.

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 13:44   #9
Kai Nui

Great site Sean. Very professional, and appeals well to the target audience.
Old 10-12-2005, 14:56   #10

Great Site !!

Great site you got there Sean.

A while back I was heavily thinking about going into that business as well.

I just might still do it. Be only time will tell. I love how you have your website arranged. Easy to navigate. And very trendy towards younger couples, and such.

I wish you and your business many many great sessions out to sea. And hopefully you can tell us all on this forum that things are going well for you and crew?

Go luck Sean.

Kevin S.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:14   #11
cruiser

Quote:
jemsea once whispered in the wind:
Sean.. The site looks great. Nice easy navigation and photos. Clean looking.

I agree on taking off the one child limit.

Now how and where to market the site. Going to do any link trading? Let me know if you want a link.

John

Hi John,

Sure. Link trading is always a good thing. I'm not familiar with your site though. Could you post the URL? Thanks!

Sean
Old 11-12-2005, 18:18   #12

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Very nice

Very impressive work. Two quick suggestions:

1) If the site is public, get rid of all the "under constuction" notes. If a section isn't ready yet, remove it from the menu (until it's ready).

2) At two of the places we go each year, they do a great job of showing "available dates" online and updating them as they go. I'm sure this is a pain for them, but it's great for us since our schedules can be tight.

So, if I'd showed up with $100 we could go out for an hour? Should there be a minumum?

I hope you have a great time-- have you read the book "No Shoes Allowed" by Jan de Groot? It's a pretty cool view of what it's like to captain and run a charter sailboat:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/096...lance&n=283155
Jim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 20:36   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sean

Go to

www.advancedhearing.com

I get about 275 to 300 hits a day. If you want to do something e-mail me at

s.v.kloosh@gmail.com

John
jemsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:26   #14

Boat: Islander Freeport 41 1976
Send a message via Yahoo to windthief
Very, very nice. I can't wait to see the completion. You guys should do great.

Best of luck,

Brad D.
windthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 14:16   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
You are currently based in my old stomping grounds, I grew up sailing out of Knickerbocker YC in Port Washington. The site looks good. You might consider including a simple line in your sample menu that says words to the affect of "Vegetarian's accommodated". Most skippered charters, don't so that would offer you another niche.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote