Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 10:18   #1
cruiser

Gordgle.com

Ok, I may have sent this directly to Gord since it's an internet search.

I have a little studying to do. Does anyone know where I can find the following to read (and not purchase) online?

NFPA 302

CFR 33 (pleasure vessels)

Title 46, USC Chapter 21, 23, 41, 123?

or

Rules and Regulations for Recreational Boats from the ABYC

Thanks in advance for any tips...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Be warned...

Gord is traveling, and will have only sporadic access to the Internet. You guys are pretty much on your own for the next three weeks or so!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
CFRs are mostly available on line for 33 see this link:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

George
Bob Seger
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Just google it

NFPA 302: Fire Protection Standard for Pleasure and Commercial Motor Craft

The Code of Federal Regulations

U.S. Code

Rules and Regulations for Recreational Boats: American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) Store

I thought you already had, at least, a 6-pack license?
Old 01-09-2008, 14:09   #5
cruiser

What do you mean, Del?

NFPA 302, these CFRs, and Rules and Regs for Rec Boats are all documents detailing fire regs, safety standards, construction standards, legality and admiralty law, etc... and have nothing to do with obtaining a USCG master's license.

I'm not sure I'm understanding, Del...

What do you mean?

PS: I also asked where to get NFPA 302 to *read* online, but you sent me to a site to buy it. Maybe you didn't fully read the original post?
Old 01-09-2008, 14:27   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Be warned...

Gord is traveling, and will have only sporadic access to the Internet. You guys are pretty much on your own for the next three weeks or so!
Good for him! I hope he's having a good time off.

Thanks for the links, guys.
Old 01-09-2008, 14:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No doubt Gordgle is out on a boat somewhere sitting at a laptop gathering great reference material for everyone.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 01-09-2008, 17:16   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
What do you mean, Del?

NFPA 302, these CFRs, and Rules and Regs for Rec Boats are all documents detailing fire regs, safety standards, construction standards, legality and admiralty law, etc... and have nothing to do with obtaining a USCG master's license.
What I mean is some of this stuff I had to study during the course for my Captain's License and purchase the books. Maybe it's different on the left coast.

I would have thought you would have had more access to this information.

And the ABYC just doesn't post their regs for the public! You have to be a member or buy their literature. ....................._/)
Old 01-09-2008, 17:53   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What I mean is some of this stuff I had to study during the course for my Captain's License and purchase the books. Maybe it's different on the left coast.

I would have thought you would have had more access to this information.

And the ABYC just doesn't post their regs for the public! You have to be a member or buy their literature. ....................._/)
I feel like I'm defending myself here, but these are materials intended for studying to become an accredited marine surveyor, not for getting a license. A license is primarily "rules of the road", navigation, lights at night and general operation of a vessel. The USCG licensing doesn't delve into structural items or fire safety in any meaningful way.

I'll be adding NAMS and SAMS certs to my sig in a bit when I can complete all of the courses and testing. I'm looking to study a bit online first, which is why I asked.

I'm sure I can get all this stuff at the library, but... thought maybe someone here knew about where I could get a head start on it.

I do realize ABYC charges for every little thing, which is why I asked if there was somewhere to read it free. If I asked you were to listen to Tom Petty's "Last Dance with Mary Jane" free, I guess you would have directed me to itunes.com and told me to buy it, rather than his MySpace page, where I could listen to it free before buying it.
Old 01-09-2008, 18:45   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You guys.... Some of the stuff Sully was asking about is not required in order to pass the exam and some of it is. I had to pass a third mates unlimited exam years ago and some of the stuff Sullivan mentioned was not required reading materiel for the exam nor is it provided in the exam room.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You cannot just write an exam, pay a fee, and become a NAMS/SAMS accredited surveyor (tho' both are required).
You must be a "practicing" surveyor, with a number of year/s (?5?) experience under the supervision of a surveyor (apprenticeship).

Old 02-09-2008, 05:08   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You cannot just write an exam, pay a fee, and become a NAMS/SAMS accredited surveyor (tho' both are required).
You must be a "practicing" surveyor, with a number of year/s (?5?) experience under the supervision of a surveyor (apprenticeship).
Yes, and... ??

I'll be a "Surveyor Associate" until I have the 5 yrs, which will take another 3 from now.

WTF is all this negativity?

Between Del saying I didn't learn anything to get my Master's license and you saying I can't be a surveyor for 5 yrs (and implying what I said was incorrect)... jeez...

You guys gotta stop.

Admins should know better than to gang up on people, challenging their credentials and career choices. That's just not nice.

From "The Rules":
  • We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:59   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
... I'll be adding NAMS and SAMS certs to my sig in a bit when I can complete all of the courses and testing...
Sean:
I wasn't inteding to be negative - merely, as is my want, informative.
What you wrote suggested to me that you didn't understand the requirement for a (sort of) internship/apprenticeship.
This would (I believe) be in the form of a full time job; in which you've never previously expressed an interest.
Forgive me - I must have mis-underestimated your commitment to the undertaking, assuming this was just another case of you're seeking the quick and easy solution, to a complex problem.
Best of luck!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:07   #14

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This might help

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:

2002 CFR Title 33, Volume 2

U.S. Code -- Download by title or chapter

Paul
Old 02-09-2008, 06:34   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I must have mis-underestimated your commitment to the undertaking, assuming this was just another case of you're seeking the quick and easy solution, to a complex problem.
Best of luck!

Are you kidding me??

Another case of my seeking the quick and easy solution to a complex problem??

Your post speaks for itself. How utterly rude and confrontational - after I complimented your searching skills AND wished you well on your vacation.

I'm sure the community at large will make their own judgments. Wow...
Closed Thread