Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 13:22   #31

Boat: Cape Dory 25
Re: Good book?

If you want to buy an old boat and fixer up? read Breaking Seas by Glenn Damato,
you will change you mine.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 20:14   #32

There is no Logical way that your statement can be held as truth. I and I'm sure that a lot of people can buy an old boat and fix it up and sail it with no more problems than If we bought a new boat. If you know what to buy and you are able to check the boat out and you have the knowledge and tools to build a boat from scratch then starting out with a good hull and and maybe a lot of other good stuff you can sure fix it up to better than new or at least as good as new. it just takes the wherewithal to do that. Most old boats have never had any serious use in their life. most of them have deteriorated from sitting unused for years. A lot of old boats are built heavyer and stouter than most new boats. I would much rather have a glass hull that has withstood 30 years of exposure to the water and the weather, than a new one that is untested and barely thick enough to hold its own weight. Of course, if a person has no knowledge of how a boat is put together and they have made enough money on the stock market or as an accountant then of course they should buy a new boat. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 21:01   #33

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

Folks have sailed the Pearson Triton around the world in recent years. The last one was built in 1967. They are only 28' long. I would put that hull up against many boats much longer. They are stout, well designed and built vessels.
Old 29-01-2015, 05:53   #34

Boat: Cape Dory 25

HRC, I couldn't agree with you more, I believe the older boats were built stronger and IMO have much better lines than the new boats built today. I am not a fan of the new plastic looking boats. Obviously they are built strong as they can be sailed all over the world. I just prefer the old styling with a hint of a little more wood. My post just came from the original post of wanting to know"anything and everything about sailing and sailboats"
I guess I assumed the writer didn't have much experience in boat building or rebuilding of boats. As anyone that has done that knows it can turn into a money pit that one can't get out of. I am currently completely rebuilding a 1975 CD 25. I've been a boat mechanic for over 30yrs and it is still bleeding me. My next boat will also be an oldie, like me.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 16:15   #35

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Beth Leonard's book: http://www.amazon.com/Voyagers-Handb...s=beth+leonard

is a 10/10
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 00:08   #36

Boat: 2015 Leopard 44

I have this book, but have not read through it yet.

After a scan it seems one of the most comprehensive by a wide margin.

It doesn't tell "a story" like a Roth or Pardy book, as it is more text book like, so some may not like that format.

+1 though from me.