Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 20:23   #1

Question Full time Sailing

Hello folks,
I am new to this forum. Is there any thread on this forum concerning fulltime sailing. What my plans are, in a few years I will be retiring. I live in Maryland and plan on sailing the East coast, Maine to Florida, Perhaps in the Summer Months going to the Great Lakes and returning South in October and arriving south in November after Hurricane Season. I have no boat presently, but have been looking. Dose anyone here do anything like this or know of anyone? I am retired from the USAF and currently Work as A Funeral Director. It is a dream of mine good or bad, but need advise from anyone who may do this already.
Thank you for your kind consideration of this matter.
Oliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 20:44   #2

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
I found this website while researching, I thing they do what you are planning on doing.
Living Aboard Charbonneau
Also check the book "All in the Same Boat" by Tom Neale. We are planning on doing the same when we are "mostly" retired; for now trying to work and liveaboard on the West Coast.
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 20:46   #3

Hi Oliver72

I think you just defined the term "cruiser" (one who sails full time). I am sure you will find this board a wealth of knowledge and insight in that very subject.

Welcome to the community!

Scott
Scottie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 20:09   #4

Thank You for your responses

We were looking into the fact of retiring an becoming full time RV'ers. Then you look at the cost of fuel and traffic, etc. and you know what, most folks go to the beach while on Vacation, so why not make it a full time adventure. Being a retired Military member, I can use Veteran Hospitals and Military Hospitals for my care. The VA and some of the Military have all our Medical Records on Computers, So if I go to one of these facilities, they have my Medical profile. I of couse have to do more research on this , but again thanks for giving me a starting point.
Oliver
Old 26-07-2008, 03:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard, Oliver72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver72 View Post
... I am retired from the USAF and currently Work as A Funeral Director ...
I sense a theme to your life.
1. Travel to distant and exotic lands, meet exciting and interesting people, and kill them.
2. Bury them.
I’m not certain how full-time cruising will fit into this pattern, but I certainly encourage you to give it a try. It’s a great lifestyle!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 14:39   #6

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
Now Gord, thats not really fair....I have been to plenty of places and we dont ALWAYS kill the interesting people..........sometimes its the boring ones!

Just kidding man, Oliver72 stole my plan, I have 3 years left myself.

GySgt Clint Summers USMC
Al Taqaddum, Iraq
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 15:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
... Just kidding man, Oliver72 stole my plan, I have 3 years left myself.
GySgt Clint Summers USMC
Al Taqaddum, Iraq
You want to be a funeral director, when you grow up? Wow!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 18:49   #8

Oliver72,

My wife and I are full time cruising. We are in Mexico now and plan to hit a few other places outside of the USA before we head back.

You might take a look at America's Great Loop Cruising Association.
They have a web site at: http://www.greatloop.com/topic.asp?pid=1

It is dedicated to EXACTLY what you are taking about doing!

Enjoy....

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2008, 19:44   #9

Reminds me of a True Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
WELCOME aboard, Oliver72.

I sense a theme to your life.
1. Travel to distant and exotic lands, meet exciting and interesting people, and kill them.
2. Bury them.
I’m not certain how full-time cruising will fit into this pattern, but I certainly encourage you to give it a try. It’s a great lifestyle!
I remember a case where a couple went to an Island not far from Hawaii. I can't remember the name of it, but for some reason the name Palmyra comes to mind. Well anyway's their was another couple already on the island in a pretty beat up saiboat. Both couple's where on the Island for a few weeks. One person who sold the couple a newer and larger sailboat always kept in touch with them via ham radio. Well, when the scheduled times that they would make contact, the reply's became non-existant. The former owner and Radio buddy, had a friend who owned a plane and they flew out to that Island and circled it to look for his friends. To no avail, he reported it to the Coast Guard and I think the police in Hawaii. One day, months later he saw his old boat painted another color but knew it was his old one. He contacted the police and the FBI got involved. It turns out that they killed the couple and stole their boat. They did find one or both bodies in containers that the killers took from an old Coast Guard rescue boat that was on the island and sank them into the harbor. They where both found guilty and are now in prison on murder charges. I bing this up becuase I saw it on TRU-TV the other day.
" I don't kill people, just bury them. "Stop by for a cold one some day!"
Old 29-07-2008, 19:48   #10

Thanks for the info Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
Oliver72,

My wife and I are full time cruising. We are in Mexico now and plan to hit a few other places outside of the USA before we head back.

You might take a look at America's Great Loop Cruising Association.
They have a web site at: America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

It is dedicated to EXACTLY what you are taking about doing!

Enjoy....

Greg
I will give that site a look see. Do you know of anyone who may have gone up North to the St. Lawrence seaway and crusied the Great lakes? I think that would be an interesting trip during the summer months. I guess it would be very long depending on your itinerary.
Old 29-07-2008, 20:04   #11

Unhappy Be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar and spice View Post
Now Gord, thats not really fair....I have been to plenty of places and we dont ALWAYS kill the interesting people..........sometimes its the boring ones!

Just kidding man, Oliver72 stole my plan, I have 3 years left myself.

GySgt Clint Summers USMC
Al Taqaddum, Iraq
Keep safe Gunny. I currently live in the suburbs of D.C. and have Medical appointments at both Walter Reed and NNMC Bethesda. It is very hard to see all of these Kids with missing limbs and other medical conditions that you cannot see(ie: mental )being wheeled around the hallways, either by Mom and Dad or a very young wife or girlfriend or husband or boyfriend. And those are the somewhat lucky ones. You cannot go onto the wards and see the one's which are severly wounded. It makes my wife cry and Iam not afraid to say it does the same thing to me. Being a member of the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) We fought and won getting better GI Bill Benefits and still fighting to get better long term healthcare benefits for theses young men and women. One very hard thing for these families are trying to find affordable housing while they are in this very expensive area. Away from family and friends. Some of these Warriors are here for up to a year or years before they are released to a VA hospital close to their home of Record. The biggest hold up is the paperwork to be discharged and given a disability rating. I am gong to stop, just writing this up sets me. Our Government needs to do more for these Brave Warriors. Plus this is not the correct website to vent my anger. It's about crusing. Seper Fi.