Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2006, 17:27   #1
Bob Norson

Cyclone "LARRY" slams coast today

Catagory 4 cyclone Larry has hit the northen Queensland town of Innisfail smack on causing wide spread destruction. Long term residents saying this is the worst ever seen on a coast not new to cyclones. Fast moving, compact and violent, Larry has winds reported at 240 KM's and as of this writing reports 108 kts at weather station which is located in land about 20 k's. Estimates of 150 kts in open water near shore. The harbour of Mourilyan, well known to local cruisers and fishermen, is also in the path and no reports from any media so far but I expect a very ugley scene there. Many craft are expected to be lost.

As of now I am reporting from the town of Bowen where we are getting gale winds and rain. My boat is secured in Mackay Marina which is OK. I have 22 lines holding her down to the jetty.

We have many friends in Innisfail and we leave with van full of tools tarps. and generators tomorrw AM if the roads allow.

for up-date Australian weather cyclone tracking site is www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml

Mother nature seems to be a bit cranky lately.

Bob Norson

editor and stuff
Old 19-03-2006, 21:15   #2

It's strange on how these two storms (Katrina, Larry),both catagory 5 hurricanes. Struck populated areas on a Monday!!

Both struck landfall on Monday's. Now how strange is that?

And for anyone who has had property damage/loss. Or even lost loved ones. All I can say is "I'm sorry that it happened" !!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 23:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ummm, actually it was Monday over here, but Sunday over your way. And it is a one in seven chance. I only wish Lotto had those Odds. Now if it were the same date of the month, same time of the day, same time of the season, then it would be more of an interest.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2006, 00:47   #4
Bob Norson

yes.. cat 5 as the news after the fact.. reports now say that this is the worst cyclone ever to hit the Queensland coast but I think ONLY the worst in the last 35 years. Great damage but the good thing>>... not one life lost!!! Tropical Queenslanders are pretty cyclone hip.

My van is ready to roll with chain saws and tarps and water but the roads are still down and now there is a new cyclone headed our way. We know by tomorrow, hopefully whether we bolt to help or stay to cover our own.

new threat map www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65242.shtml

"There is no moral to this story, it's just a bunch of stuff that happens!" (Homer Simpson.....)
Old 20-03-2006, 01:52   #5

Damn somebody upstairs must be very mad at you guys?

Another one on the way!!

Hey United States is #1 for having hurricanes slamming our coasts, one after the other!!

Hey as long the hurricanes leave "Titty City" alone. Then I'll feel better!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-03-2006, 09:41   #6

Post Despite Damage, No Injuries in Australia

CAIRNS, Australia

The most powerful storm to hit Australia in decades laid waste to its northeastern coast on Monday, mowing down sugar and banana plantations and leaving possibly thousands of people homeless.

But there were no reports of serious injuries, reflecting the preparedness of residents in the storm-prone region.

About a dozen people were treated at regional hospitals for minor cuts and abrasions, said Jim Guthrie, a spokesman for the state of Queensland's health department. Many people had taken shelter before the storm, or hunkered down in their homes.

"This is far north Queensland and most people live with cyclones year in, year out. They do take precautions," he said. "We've come out of it extremely well."

Cyclone Larry crashed ashore about 60 miles south of Cairns as a Category 5 storm, packing winds of up to 180 mph.

Cairns is a popular jumping-off point for visits to the Great Barrier Reef, the world's largest coral system which runs parallel to the coast for more than 1,400 miles. Authorities said it was too early to assess possible damage to the reef, visited by nearly two million tourists each year.

In Innisfail, a farming town of 8,500 that was hardest hit, Mayor Neil Clarke estimated that thousands were left homeless. He told the Australian Broadcasting Corp. the airport was being cleared to house people in tents. More than 50,000 people were without power.

"It looks like an atomic bomb hit the place," he said.

The storm was so bad at its height overnight that police were unable to venture out and help terrified residents who called to say the winds had ripped roofs off buildings and destroyed their homes. As emergency services fanned out across the region later to assess the damage, they encountered scenes of devastation.

"The damage to dwellings is very extensive," Prime Minister John Howard told the Nine Network from Melbourne. "Thank heavens it does not appear as though there have been any very serious injuries."

Howard said he would visit the stricken region in coming days and the government would provide aid to homeless families. He said he was confident the cyclone would not cause the kind of chaos seen in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina last year.

"Australians are very good at responding to these things because everybody pitches in without restraint," he told reporters.

The main street of Innisfail was littered with the mangled remains of corrugated tin and iron roofs and shredded fronds from beach side palm trees. Queensland state leader Peter Beattie said more than half the homes in the town were damaged.

"Some have been flattened, roofs have been taken off," he told Macquarie Radio. "The property damage has been immense."

The storm also devastated banana and sugar cane plantations, the region's economic mainstay. Officials said damage would run into hundreds of millions of dollars.

Des Hensler, an Innisfail resident, took shelter by himself in a church, with water up to his ankles. "I don't get scared much, but this is something to make any man tremble in his boots," he told the Seven television network.

Australia's military said it would send a medical team to the region. Helicopters would conduct low-level damage assessment flights.

State Disaster Coordination Center spokesman Peter Rekers warned residents to stay on their guard for deadly animals stirred up by the storm.

"Most of the casualties and deaths resulting from cyclones happen after the storm has passed," he warned. "Keep your kids away from flooded drains, be aware of snakes and crocodiles. Those guys will have had a bad night too."

The storm was the most powerful to hit Australia since Christmas Eve in 1974, when Cyclone Tracy destroyed the northern city of Darwin, killing 65 people.

Brisbane Tropical Cyclone Warning Center: http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/cyclone/

Old 20-03-2006, 10:41   #7
Bob Norson

what was notable by it's absense in the above 'mainstream media' report was the fact Innisfail is a port. The Johnstone river winds it's way right into town. The Trawlers and yachts can step off right into the middle of town. Also the harbour of Mourilyan is just a couple k's out of town and one of the most remarkable nature harbours in the world as you pass from open sea through a range of hills and into the basin in seconds. It looks as if the way has been blasted through the steep hills, it is so abrupt. Many craft don't see it as they go by. Inside is a sugar loading jetty for coastal bulk carriers and rows of pile berths and a large basin for anchoring. I heard one radio interview of a bloke describing the trimaran whose remains were scattered around the place...... but other than that no mention about the boats.

it's 4:30 AM and I am up checking the action and trying to find out if there is a clear road. I have supplies for friends and any needy boaty and cameras and note pads........