Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 19:20   #1

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.
Book Recommendation: 'A Crime So Monstrous' by E. Benjamin Skinner

I'm not sure if the Library section was for sailing books only or not.
I recommend this book to everyone though and thought I would do it again. It is an amazing read.
I've seen two of E.Benjamin Skinner in School, it was always interesting. Skinner has actually gone to Haiti and spoken face to face with pimps and child sellers in order to get an idea of what goes really goes on and how cheap it actually was to buy a person (around a $100, he said he got it down to $50 or a used car).

Info:

Today there are more slaves than at any time in history, according to journalist Skinner's report on current and former slaves and slave dealers. Skinner's travelogue-cum-indictment focuses most sharply on Haiti, Sudan, Romania and India, and is interspersed with a detailed account of the work of John Miller, director of the State Department Office to Monitor and Combat Trafficking in Persons, or America's antislavery czar. Skinner reiterates that sexual trafficking is only one component of slavery, but devotes the bulk of this book (when it is not following Miller's State Department career) to this issue. The text teeters toward the travelogue, taking the reader to Dubai's most notorious brothel and Skinner's adventures in pos[ing] as a client to talk to women... [or] as an arms dealer to talk to traffickers. Nevertheless, Skinner's story merits reading, and not just because the cause is noble and the detail often fascinating, such as the moral complications of Christian Solidarity International's redemption or purchase of 85,000 slaves' freedom. Skinner's account of the internal workings of the State Department and the deep links to faith-based antislavery groups and their special interests is seriously newsworthy and, at times, moving.

A Crime So Monstrous
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote