Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2008, 19:22   #31

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I will always regret....

that I didn't go to see Tristan Jones the last time he was in Toronto.

Sabre

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 20:32   #32

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I suppose if one was sufficiently motivated, a good kayak, a tent, and a fishing rod could travel a long way. I was surf fishing off the beach in sandy hook NJ and watched a couple of guys paddle over the horizon into the atlantic...They might have turned home for dinner but who knows.

I'll have to look up the pardy's books. I was not familar with them. Sounds like worthwhile reading.

I thought Krakauer was very kind in " Into the wild". Probably in deference to the parents and the sister.

I wonder how austere you can get in North America? As I ponder retirement and the desire to cruise, I think solar and perhaps wind power to charge batteries etc and maybe a watermaker would keep one pretty self sufficient. Beans and rice are cheap and the ability to catch fish, crab, would help. Follow the weather..and the geese?

While I've had full income, I've enjoyed stopping at a nice marina, with hot showers and a pool, with an occasional anchor out. On a fixed income, I will have to reverse that pattern and anchor out much more, and be more self contained.

I suppose that where there's a will there's a way.

Tempest.

Old 21-12-2008, 21:31   #33

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
THis is a great book: The Intricate Art of Living Afloat by Clare Allcard, also, An Island to Oneself by Tom Neale, that although not about sailing, does offer insight into living in the simpliest manner without modern convenience.
Old 23-12-2008, 11:04   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinheiro View Post
Annie Hill's book, "Cruising on a low income" (or similar name, can't remember for sure)
Yep built their own boat and lived extremely simply on next to nothing for years on end. If you want to read about how to keep it as simple and cheap as humanly possible, this is the book for you.

Another very good book about how to buy a solid used boat and cruise very cheaply is "ocean cruising on a budget" by Annee Hammick. She cruised frequently from the U.K. to the Caribbean. Her book covers everything from boat selection to gear to provisioning, always keeping a very tight budget in mind. It's a little dated, when it comes to specific boat selection, but I think the overall advice remains as applicable today as when it was written. I think it's also a reminder that many of the expensive things we think of as necessities now, were once considered unnecessary luxuries.

I think the many books by the Pardey's also give many insights into basically equipping fairly small boats for voyaging.
Old 23-12-2008, 13:19   #35

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Maybe not quite so modern but "Sailing to the reefs" by Bernard Moitessier is certainly low budget. Provisioning by writing to tinned food manufacturers offering to take damaged tins off their hands, making sheets and halyards from cast off ships warps, building his own boat on a beach by eye. Fantastic book.

"I am a citizen of the most beautiful nation on earth. A nation whose laws are harsh yet simple, a nation that never cheats, which is immense and without borders, where life is lived in the present. In this limitless nation, this nation of wind, light, and peace, there is no other ruler besides the sea."
Old 26-12-2008, 09:32   #36

Boat: Bristol 30
Another one that I don't see mentioned here is THE THOUSAND DOLLAR YACHT by Anthony Bailey. It is not a "how to" book but is more a memoir of sailing, and keeping things simple. It is out of print, but it is available used, online.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 22:19   #37

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Instructables - Outdoors, Airsoft, Camping, Hiking & Paintball Projects

If you are interested in being a minimalist, you HAVE to check out this site. I browsed it for a couple of hours one night and it has alot of interesting ideas from people that I would have to catagorize as vagabonds. Bikers, backpackers, etc. One guy travelled all over Europe and only spent $200. Also good advise for cultural etiquette, how to fix or make many things with little to no money. Its not really a boating site but many of their ideas will crossover.
Old 04-01-2009, 19:18   #38

Boat: Cabo Rico 34, "Tango"
Good inspiration

I may be a bit late to this thread but wanted to add the author and books that I found clear and inspirational. Don Casey (of how to fix anything nautical) wrote a book many years ago that is called "Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach". I do not know if it is still in print but it is a great read. Don has certainly gone on to write many more books and I must say, I do find them useful. Good luck with your plan to move forward with afloat on a shoestring. You can have as much fun in a dinghy as you can in a perfect world cruiser.

Fair Winds,

Leslie
S/V "Tango"
Old 06-01-2009, 16:00   #39

Boat: Bristol 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Kitten View Post
I may be a bit late to this thread but wanted to add the author and books that I found clear and inspirational. Don Casey (of how to fix anything nautical) wrote a book many years ago that is called "Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach". I do not know if it is still in print but it is a great read. Don has certainly gone on to write many more books and I must say, I do find them useful. Good luck with your plan to move forward with afloat on a shoestring. You can have as much fun in a dinghy as you can in a perfect world cruiser.

Fair Winds,

Leslie
S/V "Tango"
I haven't read that one, but I have always enjoyed Don Caseys work.
THIS OLD BOAT is like a bible to me.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 16:43   #40
cruiser

"No Fixed Address" by Clive Hammil is an excellent read, as is "The Northwest Passage on $5 a Day "by George Hone .
Brent

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: