Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2013, 20:02   #91

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Any good E Reads?

No such thing as not being able to use Librarys with a Kindle!! wife has been doing it for over a year! as long as ya have internet, ya have free books !!

Old 06-02-2013, 20:10   #92

Boat: Sandpiper 565

Bowditch

Old 09-02-2013, 11:15   #93
KEG

Ketchikan or Bust (Tom's Adventures in Alaska): Matthew Green, Kristeena Smith: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Old 19-02-2013, 15:54   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"The Cure for Anything is Salt Water"
The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea: Mary South: Amazon.com: Books

"Sail"
Amazon.com: Sail (9780446536103): James Patterson, Howard Roughan: Books

"A Speck on the Sea"
A Speck on the Sea: William Longyard: 0639785803232: Amazon.com: Books

enjoy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:56   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
No such thing as not being able to use Librarys with a Kindle!! wife has been doing it for over a year! as long as ya have internet, ya have free books !!
True, but who wants to spend all their time where there is internet? Certainly not me..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2014, 14:17   #96

Audio books are unbeatable to keep you awake during long watches - particularly Bill Brysons books in that format, read by no less than himself. Mmmmm, that language!
Old 26-02-2014, 15:06   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Stevens 50

For those long watches, my book, The Boy Behind the Gate, is now out in audible at amazon or audible.com, or my own website larryjacobson.com Thank you and hope you enjoy it!
Old 26-02-2014, 15:59   #98

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

How about these?

ebooks by Patrick F. McManus

I have often found his books truly hit home, especially if you hunt, fish, camp - or otherwise have a twisted, somewhat 3-Stooges sense of humor. These would especially appeal to certain teen boys and men who never quite grew out of it. "How I Got This Way" "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" "The Night the Bear Ate Goombaw" "Never Cry "Arp!" and Other Great Adventures" "The Grasshopper Trap" "Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs" "Never Sniff A Gift Fish" "Real Ponies Don't Go Oink!

He also writes mysteries but I've not read them.
Old 27-02-2014, 21:53   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanaro View Post
Just finished "Swirly World Sails South" by Andrew Fagan.
"In 2007, Kiwi musician and radio personality Andrew Fagan set sail in his 5.4 metre plywood yacht, Swirly World, to circumnavigate New Zealand. And just to make it more difficult, the outspoken Fagan included a leg to the sub-Antarctic Auckland Islands in the notorious Southern Ocean. All in all he sailed over 3000 miles in two months. Facing such potentially lethal conditions in such a tiny..."

I found this a great read. Andrew Fagan has an easy way of writing that takes you along on the journey, he also has guts doing this voyage in such a tiny plywood boat.
Indeed. He's not your average celeb, that's for sure.

I have vivid memories of the patch of water just north of Enderby in the Aucklands, where he describes a tussle with a tiderace which is exhausting just to read. Even on a yacht whose aft cabin was as big as Swirly World, we were getting spanked.

He writes in an honest, matter of fact way which we associate with the likes of Knox Johnston. Such restraint is not so common these days.

I also just came across a doco on YouTube on the guy who was paddling towards Milford Sound from Australia (!) almost crossing Andrew's track just as Andrew was making his non-stop return from the Auckland Islands to Auckland (to those unfamiliar with New Zealand, that's quite a challenging trip)

It's harrowing but unmissable.
It makes even Andrew Fagan's trip look - perhaps not tame, but doable.
Old 28-02-2014, 09:15   #100

Boat: Tartan 30

Apologies if these have already been mentioned, as I don't quite have time to read through the whole thread, yet...

Currently, I am reading a very nautically-themed book written by Herman Melville called Moby Dick, or to be more precise, I'm picking it back up after being forced by schedule to read a cruising textbook. And, you can actually read it online at Bartleby.com

However, the book(s) I wanted to recommend are from a fellow sailor and former Navy Seal, Matt Bracken. I had just convinced myself to learn how to sail and taken ASA 101, when I discovered his novel, Enemies Foreign & Domestic. By the time I finished book #2 of the trilogy, I had found and bought my first sailboat. Matt didn't create in me the desire to become a sailor, but his writing surely did nurture that dream. An excerpt from Ch. 1:

Two hundred miles south of the stadium at the bottom of the Chesapeake Bay, thirty year old Brad Fallon sat alone in the tool-strewn cabin of his mastless 44-foot sailboat, staring at a small black and white television. A breaking news bulletin on the radio had caused him to put down his work and dig out the rarely watched portable 12 volt television. He sat transfixed, numb, the same way that he had up in Alaska when he had first seen the replays of the jetliners flying into the World Trade Center on another September day. No words spoken on the radio could duplicate the impact of seeing the actual events, even on a nine inch black and white screen.

His garage-sale Panasonic only received four broadcast channels, but it didn't matter, because the network anchors had been found and brought to the studios, preempting all other programs. All of them wore similar black suits and maintained a funereal demeanor as they read the latest updates, interspersed with frequently repeated replays of the worst imagery of the disaster. The usual network talking heads were inset in the corners of aerial views of the stadium in suburban Maryland, near the Washington Beltway, where a full blown mass casualty triage and evacuation was underway. Familiar sports announcers provided grim eyewitness accounts from inside of the stadium.

Someone on the first page of this thread mentioned Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, which is a great book but not particularly a seafaring tale. When I finished the EFAD trilogy, however, my first thought was, "If Ayn Rand would have known the sea as a sailor, these are the books she would have loved to have written."

All of Bracken's books, plus his fiction & non-fiction Anthology, are available on Kindle, and he occasionally has arranged for them to be provided for free download at Amazon.

Read more HUGE excerpts at the author's website. "Bleeding-edge dystopian thrillers, for readers who are tired of politically-correct fiction."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: