Old 03-09-2012, 05:20   #77
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Any good E Reads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
The Black Swan, Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Civilization: The West and the Rest, Niall Ferguson

STORM TACTICS by Pardey and Pardey is available digitally, and so is HEAVY WEATHER TACTICS by Hinz.

Old 19-09-2012, 07:07   #78

I recommend Drift by Frankk Fatt, available in the Kindle store.

First, a disclosure: I know the author, slightly; a friend of a friend from the next suburb along the coast. But am not recommending this to enrich him - a challenge anyway at just $2 a copy.

Usually this type of memoir by an older person of a youthful voyage is washed out with overblown language and useless generalities.

But this one is different. Camus-like imagery and Hemingway-like encounters, I kid you not! Along with the thrill and terror of gales and bar crossings and rogue waves and perilous port entries from a time long before the GPS.

It's also a story about how the little catamaran Kathleen helped reshape the author's outlook. Fortunately, this is handled with an amusing mix of bravado before the mirror and a healthy extraction of the urine.

The author knows how to move the story along, slowing at the important bits, dwelling at the crucial. Just like at sea, tension builds from the most placid situations, and the mysterious perils of life out there pulse throughout.

Perhaps most disconcerting is the lucid detail, given that this is an account of a nine week voyage, 30 years ago. 30 years! Sheesh! Fatt must have an enviable, prodigious memory, or imagination - or both.

IMHO, this is one author who really could give up his day job.
Old 19-09-2012, 07:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan
The Black Swan, Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Civilization: The West and the Rest, Niall Ferguson
Loved "Civilisation". For Niall Ferguson fans point your iTunes to the BBC's "Reith Lectures 2012" for 4 hours of Niall talking erudite economic wisdom. Free podcasts.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:29   #80

Nobody has mentioned three classic USN WWII novel "The Caine Mutiny" by Herman Wouk.

I've been reading lots of books on my Galaxy Tab using the free Kindle app. I also have it on my smart power and my laptop. They all synchronize when I start the app on the device.
Non-nautical books I've recently read:

Thirty years on the plains the last voice from the wilderness- by Captain William Drannan
(The autobiography of "the Boy Scout", an orphan adopted and raised by Kit Carson-free on kindle)

The Landbreakers- John Ehle (also free on kindle)

I've more, but as I'm using my Tab, it'll haver to wait.
Old 30-01-2013, 08:52   #81

Just finished a book Called Castaway in the Cold: An Old Man's Story of a Young Man's Adventures, as Related by Captain John Hardy, Mariner. Got some samples and the free Kindle link here:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A WINTERS TALE: CASTAWAY IN THE COLD

The book is fiction but, as I read the book and was impressed by it's detail of how people stranded in the harsh Arctic environment could survive for an extended period of time. It was then I found it's author Issac I. Hayes had been part of the Second Grinnell Expedition searching for John Franklin. An expedition which became a matter of survival as the expedition's ship Advance became stuck in ice. Three members of the crew died and the others including Hayes embarked on an epic journey of Arctic survival. No wonder this book has such detail how to survive in Arctic conditions.
Old 05-02-2013, 19:15   #82
KEG

The Bear Claw by Matthew Green

The Bear Claw (Tom's Adventures in Alaska): Matthew Green, Kristeena Smith: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Old 05-02-2013, 20:18   #83

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I sure hope someone mentioned that if ya have a Libary Card and your area has e-book on line you can get as many FREE books as you could ever want!! If our Libarys down here in Louisiana have e-books most everywhere will have it ! LOL we are a lttle backward down here!! But anyway, ck it out with your local libary and see! cus the amount that amazon charges is out of line !! Just our cheap thoughts on this !!
Old 05-02-2013, 21:59   #84

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I sure hope someone mentioned that if ya have a Libary Card and your area has e-book on line you can get as many FREE books as you could ever want!! If our Libarys down here in Louisiana have e-books most everywhere will have it ! LOL we are a lttle backward down here!! But anyway, ck it out with your local libary and see! cus the amount that amazon charges is out of line !! Just our cheap thoughts on this !!
Yea, that's the way to go. Here in Thailand, we've downloaded 100's of books from our library back in Virginia. It's been a lifesaver since it's very hard to find English books here in Krabi. Sometimes we have to wait for a while if it's a bestseller or a new release.
Old 05-02-2013, 22:13   #85

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

You are right about libraries. We use the Singapore National Library and it's a great service. Unfortunately we haven't read 'Any good E-reads' since our previous post... Doodles, in the laundry shop just south of the garage at the exit of Boat Lagoon in Phuket, there is a book exchange that might be worth going to if you are around. Just not the e type.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:41   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

A Voyage For Madmen, the tale of the first Vendee Globe in 1962, before GPS, satellite radio, etc...
Old 06-02-2013, 05:57   #87

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

These are all good reads for boat-nuts.

"Flotsam and Jetsam" by Robb White
Flotsam and Jetsam: Robb White, Bailey White: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

"MoonWind at Large" by Matthew Goldman
MoonWind at Large: Sailing Hither and Yon: Matthew Goldman: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

"The Journals of Constant Waterman" by Matthew Goldman
The Journals of Constant Waterman: Paddling, Poling, and Sailing for the Love of It: Matthew Goldman: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

(Full disclosure -- they're published by my company. These links go to the Kindle editions, but you can also get EPUBS from BN.com.)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:09   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Re: Any good E reads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I don't know if anyone else has brought this up But if ya have Internet anywhere your at and ya have a Library Card, almost all librarys now have online ck out of books !! for free !! at least Louisiana do !! and some in Cali where Connie has Cards and she cks out any books she wishs and no waiting for hard to get books like the top 10 ect !! justa thought !! Connie really likes useing the Library she say's if she had known the Library did this she would never bought the Kindle deal LOL Justa thought from Cheap Old Cruisers
My wife and I both have Kobos and I joined the Toronto Public Library. Lots of good books and so easy to download from anywhere. You don't even have to return them, they disappear in 21 days. I think the problem with Kindles is that Amazon has you exclusively.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:48   #89

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

If sailing related thrillers set in the Caribbean appeal, take a look at my Bluewater Thrillers at C.L.R. Dougherty: Bluewater Thrillers: Action and Adventure novels set in the Caribbean

If you prefer non-fiction, my Books for Sailors and Dreamers might be of interest: C.L.R. Dougherty: Books for Sailors, Dreamers, and Boaters

I also recently read and recommend Sailing Down the Moonbeam, by Mary Gottschalk Sailing Down the Moonbeam: Mary Gottschalk: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:42   #90

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

My wife and I both have Kobos and I joined the Toronto Public Library. Lots of good books and so easy to download from anywhere. You don't even have to return them, they disappear in 21 days. I think the problem with Kindles is that Amazon has you exclusively.
I don't know about all libraries but ours allows you to download their books (free) to any Kindle app or program. We have the Kindle app on our iPads and the program on our MacBooks, and since everything is synced we can read any book on any device. And no matter which device you pickup it knows which page you left off on. :-)

Oh, and the Kindle app & programs are free, you don't need to buy their device if you already have a computer or iPad (maybe other tablets as well).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: