Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2012, 05:11   #61

Re: Any good E Reads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Kindle is limited but it does two things that almost no other electronic device does. First, the basic Kindle can be read in bright sunlight. A real boon if you ever want to sit in your cockpit and read. The 2nd is it goes for weeks without recharging. One other thing, it's light and easy to hold with one hand while reading in bed or anywhere else for that matter.

Recently tried reading an article on my wife's Ipad and it was real pain because of it's size, weight and design. Only way I could finish the article was to sit down at a desk and lay the thing down on the table. Kept accidentally changing the screen holding it and hands began to cramp up from the weight.
Absolutely agree. I enjoy reading on the Kindle even more than a book. It's lighter and easier to hold. Being able to read in bright sunlight or on a beach is a real plus. My girlfriends Ipad weighs a lot more and I find it fatiguing to hold compared it to the Kindle and the Ipad does not work well in the sun.
Another plus I can also carry the Kindle it in the pocket of my fishing shirt. So I always have it on me to read when waiting for people or traveling light.
Old 15-07-2012, 06:11   #62

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
ry the Kindle it in the pocket of my fishing shirt. So I always have it on me to read when waiting for people or traveling light.
I have my $50 phone for that, why carry another device?
Have the same selection of books loaded on it and probably read several chapters a day

Quote:
My girlfriends Ipad weighs a lot more and I find it fatiguing to hold compared it to the Kindle
So dont use an ipad

Quote:
The Kindle/Kindle 2 weighs 10.2 ounces (289.2 grams) - about the weight of a paperback.
The Kindle DX is 18.9 ounces (535.9 grams) and weighs as much as a hardcover.
Most android tablets I have been looking at weigh around 300grams, so lighter than the DX
Old 15-07-2012, 06:58   #63

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Two absolute must reads are South the story of Shackelton's failed trip to the South Pole and The log of the Bounty as written by by Capt William Bligh that includes his impressive transPac crossing in an open boat.

They tell stories of two great seamen and one great leader.

Shackelton's book is pretty good. I'm about half way through it right now. It doesn't entirely feel like you're reading a diary. It's a good read.

And to add to the Kindle discussion, I like my Kindle. Ordered it in mid 2010 while in Afghanistan and has worked without problems. I like it's much lighter, battery lasts a long time and can be read in full sun. I also have it on my computer, android tablet, kindle cloud for my linux computer and always go for the kindle itself to read.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 07:30   #64
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

If you like sailing-oriented mind-candy novels, instead of history lessons, you might try checking out Paul Garrison. He's got five books out, all based on boats.
Old 15-07-2012, 07:47   #65

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

For some fun and cheesy water-born adventure, there's always Randy Wayne White's series on Marine biologist and secret agent Doc Ford, based at his lab on stilts in Dinkins Bay, Fla.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:38   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Anything by Neal Stephenson is great, but to keep it vaguely nautical try his earliest work, "Zodiac". Entertaining!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 09:53   #67

"I have my $50 phone for that, why carry another device?
Have the same selection of books loaded on it and probably read several chapters a day"

Personally I find the phone great for checking Email and as modem for my laptop but, for reading my aging eyes need something with a little bigger screen for extended reading. Plus I read mostly non fiction and like the ease with which I can bookmark passages and make notes on the Kindle for future reference.

"So dont use an ipad"

I don't.

"Most android tablets I have been looking at weigh around 300grams, so lighter than the DX "

I have not felt the need to buy yet another electronic device like a tablet. I would have to see if the Android tablets it work as well in sunlight as the Kindle. I know the Ipad does not.
Old 15-07-2012, 09:59   #68

Another e read I really enjoyed is a collections of short stories Many Cargoes:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ON CAPT MIKE'S KINDLE: MANY CARGOES
Written over one hundred years ago but, still gave me a few chuckles while reading it.
Old 15-07-2012, 10:47   #69

Boat: Gemini 3200

"The Sea and the Jungle" by H. M. Tomlinson is a outstanding tale of a trip across the Atlantic and up the Amazon on a steamship in the early 20th century. It's available from Project Gutenberg in many formats, including EPUB and Kindle.

The Sea and the Jungle by H. M. Tomlinson - Project Gutenberg

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:19   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Another +1 for the kindle . Easily fits in the pocket of my cargo shorts or in the back pocket of my jeans. Sitting down on it once or twice () hasn't hurt it so far. I read almost everyday and have one of the first shipments available to Canada. Has taken the summer heat and winter cold well and as others have mentioned is visible in direct sunlight.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 13:59   #71

Sitting by the pool my girl and I both left our kindles out in the sunlite.....the heat killed them both .........
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 15:13   #72

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I have this book on my wish list on Amazon. Has anyone read it? seems like it might be an interesting one.

"Pour me another rum I'm going to sail around the World" "the 5 year Voyage" -Capt Tosh
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 16:10   #73

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Quote:
"I have my $50 phone for that, why carry another device?
Have the same selection of books loaded on it and probably read several chapters a day"
Personally I find the phone great for checking Email and as modem for my laptop but, for reading my aging eyes need something with a little bigger screen for extended reading. Plus I read mostly non fiction and like the ease with which I can bookmark passages and make notes on the Kindle for future reference.
Fair enough, but this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...chaozh.iReader allows me to change font size (18 pt for me), background and text colours and do all the bookmarking as well
And its free

I dont have a kindle and if I did, wouldn't always carry it (2 devices) but I usually always have the phone.
Old 15-07-2012, 16:25   #74
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I'm with Dave - I have a phone and its got lots of free books on it. Its also got pdfs of most of my Manufacturer manuals as well. And I can change font sizes etc no problem from within the phone (iphone). Its definitely not as convenient to read as a Ipad or similar size, but like dave says - its always in my pocket. And the ease of loading PDFs onto it is really good.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 11:15   #75
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Nice thing about kindle is that it isnt just the device but the app as well which is free. It syncs whatever you are reading across device as long as you have 3g or wifi around.

So for example when i am at home reading on my ipad and stop at page 57, when i hop on the DART to the marina and open the book on my phone it auto opens to page 57. I keep reading and close it on page 98 and get on the boat get her out and on autopilot once a bit out of traffic and open my kindle amd it is on page 98, i read till page 160 get the boat back in the slip get on the DART open my phone....

The kndle and app along with devices create a seemless reading experience. Dont need the kindle hardware to do this but it is nice to be able to sit in the sun and read or leave it in your bunk amd not worry about chargng it for two weeks while reading on passage

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote