Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2011, 02:42   #16

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Re: Any good E reads?

Some good pointers there me thinks, cheers y'all

I didnt realise untill last week that older books, often by dead authors, are beyond copyright and therefore free on kindle

Last night I downloaded another 7 of these freebies

D H Lawrence - Sons and Lovers, The Rainbow.

Thomas Hardy, an old fave of mine,- Mayor of Casterbridge, Jude the Obscure, Tess, The Trumpet Major, The romantic adventures

Already well into Sons and Lovers, found it hard going at first but once the story grips, i get entwined in that and forget my original reason for starting which is to get an understanding and feel for what is the writers art, that magic dust which they glue the whole shebang together with.

Ive only managed half a pocket book of short stories which dont flow together and need to expand it into something others might take a fancy to
Old 26-06-2011, 02:57   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

More historical freebies on the way online.

BBC News - British Library makes Google search deal
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 04:44   #18

Boat: in the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Atlas Shrugged will keep you busy thru the winter.
Don't forget The Fountainhead either - two really GREAT works. . .

Have you seen the movie of Atlas Shrugged-Part 1??
BillKov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 05:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I agree the Madmen book is a good read but it's not an ebook (yet anyway).

My suggestion is Philip Bolger's 'Boats with an Open Mind'. At about a quarter the hardback price, it's good value - and likely an eye-opener for those whose only experience of boats to date is of the plastic look-alike, production line variety.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 05:19   #20

try the ebook version of the biography of Trim, Matthew Flinder's ship's cat's story

Trim eBook - www.clevercounsel.com
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 05:51   #21

Boat: Baba 35, Play Actor

Dungda de Islan' is the story of our voyage to the Caribbean, as well as our experiences during our first year in the islands. It's a tale of how we fell in love with this part of the world, to the extent that, after 7 years, we're still here and have no immediate plans to leave. Dungda de Islan' has elements of a travelogue, a sea story, and the evolution of our relationship with each other, the boat, and the wonderful people of the island nations of the Caribbean. The title is patois, and it translates roughly to Down in the Islands.

It's been a lot of fun to go back and resurrect the experiences, which, like mangoes ripening in the sun, have grown richer with the passing of time. If you've wondered what it would be like to chuck it all and go sailing, this book will give you a good idea. From the lonely splendor of a two-week, two person ocean voyage, to the delight of finding places where people are in tune with the elemental joy of simply living, you can cruise along with us.

It's available in the Kindle store at
Amazon.com: Dungda de Islan' eBook: Charles L. R. Dougherty: Kindle Store or from most of the other ebook stores. It's also out in paperback thorough Amazon.

Play Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 06:11   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You do know about Project Gutenberg? Just thought I would ask.
The only problems are that Amazon won't keep track of last page read for books downloaded from PG. Only a problem if you read on one of the computer based readers as well as Kindle. Also you can't add notes to those books.

At least that was when last I tried, may have changed by now.

Also you may be interested in something like Calibre E-Book management software.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 06:13   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Hey, a book of short stories can be interesting too...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 06:45   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

You could try Dan Simmons' The Terror. It is a fictionalized account of what might have happen to the The Terror.

I also got Treasure Island from Amazon for free or cheap.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 17:21   #25

I also recommend Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World for the Kindle which I'm currently reading again:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A GOOD DAY FOR A VOYAGE
You can download the book for free from the Kindle Store which I did but, it does not show any drawings or maps. Not a real problem because Slocum was a pretty good writer. But, it might be worth a few bucks for the version that contains them.
Old 27-06-2011, 05:11   #26

Lin Pardey's latest Bull Canyon is a joy to read. She has honed her story telling skills in this book about building Taleisin in a remote canyon in CAlifornia. It is funny and fun to read.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 10:53   #27

I couldn't read them on my third generation Kindle, they come up like graphics, too faint to read. Are they photocopies? Obviously self-published because there is ISBN or copyright page.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2011, 16:43   #28
KEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
I couldn't read them on my third generation Kindle, they come up like graphics, too faint to read. Are they photocopies? Obviously self-published because there is ISBN or copyright page.
Must be your kindle. They work great on my iphone and kindle. Too bad, you'll miss a great story.
KEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 22:40   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
my absolute favorite one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Lin Pardey's latest Bull Canyon is a joy to read. She has honed her story telling skills in this book about building Taleisin in a remote canyon in CAlifornia. It is funny and fun to read.
Thanks for your very kind words Rita. If I can add to the list of Kindle books for sailors to chase down - The Cruise of the Cachalot by Frank Bullen. Written 110 years ago but still highly readable. Yes it is about hunting whales but more important, it's about sailing and life afloat.

There is also the Hornblower series - I not only loved reading them but learned a lot of sailing tips we used as we voyaged.

For those who enjoyed Hornblower or the O'Brian books, it is really important to download Cochrane, the real master and commander. This is the man those stories are based on and his biography reads like fiction.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 08:06   #30
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: my absolute favorite one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Pardey View Post
Thanks for your very kind words Rita. If I can add to the list of Kindle books for sailors to chase down - The Cruise of the Cachalot by Frank Bullen. Written 110 years ago but still highly readable. Yes it is about hunting whales but more important, it's about sailing and life afloat.

There is also the Hornblower series - I not only loved reading them but learned a lot of sailing tips we used as we voyaged.

For those who enjoyed Hornblower or the O'Brian books, it is really important to download Cochrane, the real master and commander. This is the man those stories are based on and his biography reads like fiction.

"Lucky" Jack Aubrey was VERY loosely based on Lord Cochrane. But O'Brians great inspiration was Frederick Marryat, the author I mentioned on page 1. He actually started his career as a midshipman under Lord Cochrane and was one of his most devoted followers throughout his service until he himself was made Post. Many of the battles he fought in at sea and on land were under Cochrane. He is an ingenious author, and I'll say it again, hilarious! I have a pretty serious collection of original copies of his works, all written between 1824 and about 1840. Marryat was Conrad's favorite author, as well as Dicken's. You can't get a better literary review than that! I've read every biography of Cochrane I can find, but Marryat is much more revealing in his fiction.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote