Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2005, 01:36   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Accident Investigation & Much More

Accident Investigation Seminar Nov. 8-10 in Seattle, Wa.

The American Boat & Yacht Council will conduct its accident investigation seminar Nov. 8-10 at the Radisson Hotel Seattle Airport.

This three-day seminar, designed for marine surveyors, Coast Guard personnel, boatbuilders and insurance personnel, will take students through the process of boating accident investigation, including accident reconstruction.

Speakers will include marine surveyor Jonathan K. Klopman (*1); Larry Montgomery, Montgomery Maritime Survey Inc.; Dan Rutherford, Ocean Marine Specialties Inc.; and Todd Swede, Todd & Associates Inc. Topics will include fiberglass failure and scratch analysis; electrical wire analysis; fire investigation; using standards in litigation; and rules of the road.

The fee is $449 for ABYC members and $614 for nonmembers.
http://www.abycinc.org/education/accident.cfm

ABYC Calendar of Events: http://www.abycinc.org/calendar/index.cfm
DATE ~ EVENT NAME
Oct 22, 05 Marine Corrosion Review/Test
Oct 24, 05 - Oct 26, 05 Standards Accreditation
Nov 07, 05 - Nov 10, 05 Marine Corrosion Certification
Nov 08, 05 - Nov 10, 05 Accident Investigation Seminar
Nov 14, 05 - Nov 17, 05 Electrical Certification
Nov 28, 05 - Dec 01, 05 Electrical Certification
Dec 05, 05 - Dec 07, 05 Basic Electrical
Dec 05, 05 - Dec 08, 05 Electrical Certification
Jan 09, 06 - Jan 11, 06 Basic Marine Engines
Jan 10, 06 - Jan 11, 06 Basic Electricity for the Boater
Jan 10, 06 - Jan 13, 06 Marine Corrosion Certification
Jan 12, 06 - Jan 13, 06 Gasoline Engine & Support Systems Certification
Jan 17, 06 - Jan 19, 06 Basic Electrical
Jan 23, 06 - Jan 24, 06 COMITT - Conference on Marine Industry Technical Training
Jan 30, 06 - Feb 01, 06 Basic Electrical
Feb 07, 06 - Feb 10, 06 Marine Corrosion Certification
Feb 08, 06 - Feb 10, 06 Standards Accreditation
Feb 15, 06 - Feb 16, 06 Basic Electricity for the Boater
Feb 21, 06 - Feb 24, 06 Electrical Certification
Mar 01, 06 - Mar 02, 06 Basic Diesel Engines for Boat Owners
Mar 01, 06 - Mar 03, 06 Basic Electrical
Mar 06, 06 - Mar 09, 06 Electrical Certification
Mar 13, 06 - Mar 16, 06 Marine Corrosion Certification
May 02, 06 - May 04, 06 Basic Electrical
May 16, 06 - May 19, 06 Electrical Certification
Jun 21, 06 - Jun 23, 06 Standards Accreditation
Jun 26, 06 - Jun 29, 06 Train the Trainer
Jul 11, 06 - Jul 14, 06 Marine Systems Certification
Jul 26, 06 - Jul 28, 06 Standards Accreditation
Aug 07, 06 Advanced Electrical Troubleshooting
Aug 15, 06 - Aug 18, 06 Electrical Certification
Nov 06, 06 - Nov 09, 06 Marine Corrosion Certification

(*1) Links to Jonathan K. Klopman’s Technical Articles that have appeared in Professional Boatbuilder magazine:
http://www.jklopman.com/Technical%20writing.htm

Including:

Failure Analysis of Metals is an introduction to this well established science of why stuff breaks. Any good metallurgist will tell you that many advancements in materials only follow after an accurate assessment of what went wrong. The article defines basic engineering principles of loading and stress, then runs through typical failure modes for ductile and brittle metals.

Stainless Steel is one of the most important marine alloys in use today. Although there are over 150 different alloys of stainless marketed, not all are appropriate for our industry. This piece starts with basic alloying elements and goes on to show how grades of stainless are concocted to meet different service criteria. Special attention is given to common forms of marine corrosion as well as stress corrosion cracking.

Moisture Meters are an invaluable, yet often frustrating tool in every surveyor's kit. I was never quite sure how they operated, what were the limits of their sensitivity, or what would make them return a false positive. This head scratching led me to set up a shootout between five popular meters to see what makes them go "beep." Although the testing was tedious, the results were illuminating.

More on Meters is an addendum to the first piece I did on moisture meters. This article reviews the Protimeter Surveymaster- a unique tool that combines both an rf meter (that reads through the hull skin) as well as a tradiional resistance (pin probe) meter. I discuss a technique for using both meters to help narrow down hidden moisture problems in cored hulls.

To Catch a Thief highlights the darker side of the marine industry. As long as people are motivated by greed, there will be fraud, theft, and arson in the boat business. This article discusses the International Association of Marine Investigators and its attempts to combat marine crime. The are several entertaining case studies covered in the article.

Sterndrive Failures are one of the most common claims in the marine industry. Surveyors who hope to inspect damaged outdrives to determine, cause, nature, and extent of damage need to have a basic understanding of the how the various parts of the unit are loaded during normal operation as well as in overload. Did the loss occur due to a sudden external event, or was it the result of an internal fatigue failure?

Boat Hauling and Launching is becoming an increasing concern in boatyards today. The advent of straddle lifts, marine fork trucks, and hydraulic trailers has led to a far more mobile boatyard. The obvious risk of moving around big heavy objects is that they can fall over. New technology requires new rules and for storing boats as well as a greater emphasis on training yard workers. The ABYC has addressed this issue by releasing its technical bulletin TY-28 for Boat Lifting and Storage.

Storm Chasers takes a trip to the war zone of marine claims - Hurricane Duty. The piece is a field surveyor's look at disaster recovery. My research for the article comes partly from my experience working on the Boat/US hurricane catastrophe team - the Delta Force of marine cat teams. No matter how much experience you have, though, there's always some bizarre situation that requires fresh thinking. You're basically forced to think outside of the box when the box is crushed, sunk, and skewered on a piling.

Lightning Grounding Systems appeared in Woodenboat a number of years back. Although there has been much written about all the bad stuff that lightning can do, I found precious little attention paid to what to do to prevent it. More specifically, I go into some depth regarding setting up a ground system to handle that "when and if" your boat gets zapped.

The Design and Development of PT Boats chronicles the story behind the PT program. The piece focuses on technical details of design and constuction, as opposed to war stories of the boats in action. Despite the technical content, it's a colorful tale. These iconic craft always stir up emotions and controversy amongst boaters and designers alike. I've always been a history buff, and had great fun researching this feature. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident