Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-12-2017, 00:38   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Titanium chainplates for non-millionaires

Hi Folks,
First time poster here. I would like to introduce our titanium fabrication service, which supplies custom titanium chainplates and other fittings for your boat.
Our goal is to make these top quality parts affordable and the cost is often on par with 316L stainless steel. If you are thinking about renewing your chainplates (you should on older boats), titanium is the permanent solution for permanent peace of mind. It is significantly stronger than stainless steel, less brittle and corrosion becomes a total non-issue. Titanium parts will, quite simply, outlast the rest of the vessel. Parts are CNC machined with a state of the art waterjet cutter end electro-polished to a high gleam

According to the forum rules, I am not allowed to post our website address here. I have applied to become a registered vendor, so I will update this post as soon as the registration is complete.
Interested members are welcome to inbox me for more information and the website address is also on my profile.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Old 05-12-2017, 03:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Titanium chainplates for non-millionaires

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailfar.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 13:31   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I do hope you'll offer the option of treating the titanium so it takes on those wonderful colors that are available. Play gray chainplates are just SO boring.
Old 05-12-2017, 13:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Yes glad to see you are spreading the word. I will be ordering my chain plates from you .

Is this your website ?

Allied Titanium - Affordable Titanium Now

Regards John
Old 05-12-2017, 21:47   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No, that's not our website. I will PM the link to our website for you. It is also on my profile.
And yes, hellosailor... I can make em in all the colors of the rainbow if you wish!😀
Old 06-12-2017, 09:43   #6

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Hello Sailfar, thank you for introducing your services. Will you consider other components also? Is it possible to send you a part and have you scan and replicate it? If so, what are the limitations, if any?

How does titanium compare or contrast to stainless steel with regards to weight and other properties? Are there any disadvantages where titanium would be a disadvantage? Would titanium be suitable for things such as engine components and in particular, exhaust fittings?

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing your website.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53   #7

Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater

Are titanium hose clamps available from you? The only ones I can find are made of cotton titanium and I rather fragile. Iím looking for the press titanium hose clamps the carRespond to Ideal brand stainless clips.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:45   #8

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

How do you process to redo the chain plates ? Do you need a CAD file, or should we ship you original part ?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:08   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for your questions. I absolutely welcome them. I will answer each question individually and sorry if I get too technical, but it's necessary.

ArmyDaveNY

All good questions. What you asked is exactly what we do. We scan parts with a 3D scanner and replicate it in titanium. The only limitation is that we don't forge parts at the moment. Any part that can be cut, bent and welded from plate, bar and tube we can do for you at very affordable prices.

We almost exclusively use Titanium grade 5 ((Ti 6Al-4V) That means that the alloy consists of 90% Titanium, 6% Aluminum and 4% Vanadium.

It's is much stronger than "commercially pure" (ie grade 2) titanium, while retaining it's anti corrosion properties.

Here's a comparison of weight and strength:

316 Stainless steel :
Weight: 8000kg per cubic meter
Tensile strength: 570 MPa
Young's Modulus: 193 GPa

Titanium grade 5
Weight: 4420kg per cubic meter.
Tensile strength: 1000 MPa
Young's Modulus: 120 GPa

I know the units are metric, but you get the idea. Young's Modulus is a measurement of the elasticity of a material. The lower the number, the more elastic the material is. (Ie. a rubber band will have a very low Young's modulus).

So you can see that the Titanium is stronger, lighter and more elastic than the brittle stainless steel 316 grade. The elasticity is important because boat parts like chainplates suffer from metal fatigue as well. The more elastic a material is, the less prone it will be to metal fatigue.

Generally I am not aware of any disadvantages of Titanium compared to any other material. There are only advantages. Titanium parts are really "install and forget" parts. No maintenance and no need for corrosion inspections.

Wrt engine components: We can easily fabricate exhaust fittings that will last. The only thing you have to keep in mind is electrolysis. Titanium is high on the galvanic scale and any other metal in an electrolyte (like sea water) in proximity to the titanium, will suffer from galvanic corrosion. This problem may be adressed by using sacrificial anodes like zinc.

Capstu

We don't manufacture hose clamps from titanium. These are available. Let me have a look around and maybe I can help you
Old 06-12-2017, 12:44   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
How do you process to redo the chain plates ? Do you need a CAD file, or should we ship you original part ?
We will do the CAD files from your original parts. The process is the following : You take photos of the original parts so that we may see the complexity involved (ie bends, welding etc) and then send us reasonably accurate measurements so that we can calculate the amount of material involved.
From this, we are able to quote you. If the quote is accepted, you ship us the old parts to Florida, from which we do the scans.
We prefer to work this way, so that your new titanium parts will fit exactly as the old ones did. No drilling and no modifications. It will save you time and money.

The trouble (and minimal expense) spent in shipping us the old parts, is made up in ease of installation by getting the parts to fit perfectly.

We will return the old parts with the new ones.
Old 06-12-2017, 13:13   #11

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

If just simple laminas, "x" thick can we just send dwg or dfx files?
Old 06-12-2017, 13:27   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes. If they are that simple, we may be able to work from them.
Old 06-12-2017, 16:14   #13

Can you send me your info. Lesbauman@gmail.com , Also, how does the titanium chain plate react to the stainless fitting attaching to it?
Old 06-12-2017, 16:47   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Titanium chainplates for non-millionaires

Stainless is less noble than Ti. Most likely there will be no issues, however if there is, itís the Stainless that will corrode, not the Ti. I plan on inspecting my pins yearly, and they are both cheap and easy to replace if I ever see any corrosion, but Iím not expecting any. You can get Ti pins, but then the Ti interface is the turnbuckle, which is not as cheap or easy to replace if there is any corrosion. Since rigging wire is SS, there will be an interface somewhere.
Ti and SS is way more stable than say SS and carbon fiber just as one example.
Ti has a long track record with Marine use, and so far nothing has turned up as an Achilles heel. It is not a miracle material, it has its limitations of course, but for things like chainplates, I believe it to be about ideal.
Grade 5 or AKA 6/4 Ti is the aerospace standard, itís what I had my chainplates made from, although grade 2 which is pure Ti would also have been an excellent choice, pure Ti is slightly less strong, but even more corrosion resistant, however either ought to well outlast the hull they are attached to, from data I was able to gather.
Old 06-12-2017, 17:30   #15

Boat: Falmouth Cutter

Titanium is the new bronze at half the price and looks really good on traditional boats. What about the bolts?