Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2008, 11:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
The FastCat 435 is growing to 46 ft 9 inches

Presently we are extending the bow and stern of the FastCat 435 to become the new FastCat 455 a total lenght of 46 feet 9 inches and a increased waterline length of 44 ft or metric 12.99 waterline lenght and total lenght of 46 feet 9 inches , at the same time the total inside stading room is also going up to 6 feet 8 inches all over, we have had to make these adjustments becasue we attract a lot of tall sailors.
I have attached the new bow extension and a pdf of the total 455
We have been able to keep the empty weight below 11000 LBS or 5000 kilo,s

Greetings

Gideon Goudsmit

p.s in april we are moving to a new purpose build factory in order to triple our production. waiting for over 3 years did not attract many clients
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	extended nose 3.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	2591  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0271 revised BS 170108 fastcat.pdf (28.9 KB, 325 views)

Old 04-02-2008, 11:36   #2

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
so what are you calling the wait right now?

Old 04-02-2008, 11:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The waitimg time is now down to 20 months or delivery November 2009 after order and it might even go down further but as always it is first getting more people and than train them to do the right thing and build excellent boats.
I do not want anything but the highest quality to leave our factory
greetings
Gideon
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56   #4

Boat: Maine Cat 41
With all due respect, may I challenge your reasoning for extending the Fastcat 435 into a 455?

You can add headroom without adding loa. The history of catamaran building both production and even custom designs is that length is the quickest, easiest, most effective way to improving performance and appearance for a multihull.

The challenge for builders is that consumers measure a boat's affordability/accommodations on the basis of loa. They also resist the concept of paying moorage for a longer boat that only sleeps/accommodates/carries X number of people and stores.

Your boat will be a better boat for having been lengthened. I hope you will not ask me to believe in all seriousness that headroom is the reason. I'm more inclined to believe that as the requests for extras from your clients grows, you have recognized that you need more load carrying capability to ensure the performance that you advertise.

This is a truth of the business. I urge you to educate your clients and customers regarding the benefits and purposes of length and the risks to performance that accompanies the carriage of all those toys we so dearly love to carry. The dirty little truth of loa vs berthing costs is that anyone who purchases a half million plus dollar yacht really can afford the ancillary costs.

Additionally, if displacement is controlled, a longer boat is just as easy to sail and more pleasurable too!

Just my $0.02
Old 04-02-2008, 12:16   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have lenghtened the bow for 3 reasons
1. we where getting a lot of spray at speeds of 13 knots and up and the new bow has a much finer intake,
2.the finer bow will decrease resistance slightly.
3.the longer waterline lenght will increase boat speed
4.the looks of the raised boat will be better with the longer bow and stern.

We did not have to extend the boat for added payload since there is no cat around in this size that has a payload that even comes close , normally not even half the payload is used on long trips over the ocean. The payload is presently 13200 LBS and that will stay the same with the longer stern and bow.and that is with a fully equipped boat including rib outboard ful set of sails watermaker etc
In fact we could do with less than half the payload since the boat is designed for 4 people in comfort.

Yes I love what I am doing , it is my hobby to build and improve boats

greetings
Old 04-02-2008, 12:23   #6

Boat: Maine Cat 41
And those are GREAT reasons for building the boat a little longer! Thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:26   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

you are always welcome for a sail

greeting

gideon
Old 14-04-2008, 14:24   #8

I am confused - is there a difference between the St. Francis 50 (that I saw in Miami) and the St. Francis Fast Cat 50 on your website? You mention owning a St. Francis but show a Fast Cat on your profile... Also I noticed but didnt follow up on my concern that those wonderful big aft bedrooms on the 435 protrude from the pontoons in a way and to an extent that concerns me for underdeck slapping. Is this a concern and how is it affected by the new design? If there was no compromise it would seem that everyone would have big aft protrusions... I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just fairly new to all this and trying to understand. Maybe mild underdeck noise is acceptable in 95% of circumstances and purists have precluded engineering creativity based on worse problems in different designs?
Old 14-04-2008, 14:49   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenaz007 View Post
I am confused - is there a difference between the St. Francis 50 (that I saw in Miami) and the St. Francis Fast Cat 50 on your website? You mention owning a St. Francis but show a Fast Cat on your profile... Also I noticed but didnt follow up on my concern that those wonderful big aft bedrooms on the 435 protrude from the pontoons in a way and to an extent that concerns me for underdeck slapping. Is this a concern and how is it affected by the new design? If there was no compromise it would seem that everyone would have big aft protrusions... I'm not trying to pick on you, I'm just fairly new to all this and trying to understand. Maybe mild underdeck noise is acceptable in 95% of circumstances and purists have precluded engineering creativity based on worse problems in different designs?
Hallo Thenaz007
The St francis on our web site is a 48 , the 50 has an extended sugar scoop by 2 ft.
I own the 48 and am presently selling her to take delivery of my new 455 Green Motion
We are the agent for St Francis in Europe.
We also build the 455 , 405 and 555 besides the new Eko Green Power cat
The protrusion causes no problem with bridgedeck slamming or in this case protrusion slamming, being almost 21 ft 10 inches above the water.
The Fastcat 455 is a very light weight boat and for that reason follows the waves better and does not slam into them,
I have around 70000 nm experience with the FastCat 435 and we have encountered no excessive noise with the exception of once while on the leeward side of Barbados doing 22 knots for well over one hour , the waves where very small since the Island was near and we where planing although this is not supposed to be possible , we crossed barbados in one hour frojm one side to the other , my wife came up from the bedroom and complained abouth the massage she was getting from the banging on the small waves and I told her not to complain but get back there a s a p sice the massage would be over soon.

Come and sail her for a couple of days and you will find out that it is no problem at all

Greetings
Gideon

p.s. we love the huge bed of 6 x 7 ft 4 in or 1.80 x 2.20 meters
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B_166.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	3286  
Old 14-04-2008, 15:20   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Thenaz007
The protrusion causes no problem with bridgedeck slamming or in this case protrusion slamming, being almost 21 ft 10 inches above the water.
Typo? Is it 1 ft 10 inches, or 2 ft 10?
Old 14-04-2008, 23:00   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Typo? Is it 1 ft 10 inches, or 2 ft 10?
yes a typo 1 ft 10 in at max load and 2 ft 4 at light load
greetings
Old 13-05-2008, 08:46   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is the first picture of a finished FastCat 455 prior to launching

The picture is made by Karen Meredith at 04:00 in the morning
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	butterfly on the truck_edited.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	3564  
Old 13-05-2008, 09:22   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Hi Gideon,
That's pretty exciting, the expansion of your production facilities. It's good to see business is booming for you.

I cant help but thinking that by increasing the length that you are getting into Gunboat 48 territory in terms of LOA and other features. What is going to make this a better boat? What are its strong points going to be compared to the competition?

Where are you now in the development process of the 555?

Cheers,
David

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 09:31   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hallo David
Coming Sunday I am with Alexander Simonis regarding the drawings of the 58 ft cat.
The FastCat series will not be in competition
Less than half the price, not build in carbon no cockpit up front etc
Just a different type of Yacht for different people, the clients we attract like comfort very much and speed is a second wish for them while with the Gunboat I feel it is the other way around.
To answer your question it will not be a better boat but a different boat at half the price. There is market for all boat just Look at Lagoon they sell 200 units a year or maybe even more .At this moment I do not think we really have competition
we just build a different type of cat., Light weight , performance oriented with lots of space and comfort.

Greetings

Gideon

Tags
fastcat