Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-10-2015, 06:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN for Android returns to Google Play Store

Hello OpenCPN for Android supporters...

Well, we're back!

All administrative and licensing issues with Google Play Store seem to be resolved.

It turns out that the recommended Play Store licensing strategy is indeed, according to Google, incompatible with GPLv2. They don't exactly say this anywhere in the terms, and their feedback/support is very vague. But that is the cryptic signal that I got from their support team.

I think this subject is debatable.

But Google owns the Store, so in this case their interpretation trumps any other. Thus I removed the Play Store Licensing checks from OpenCPN for Android.

There was no issue with app naming collision as I first thought. Just a suspicious timing coincidence.
So the app name is now OpenCPN again. Hopefully the revised icons will alleviate any user confusion.

So....
OpenCPN for Android Version 1.0.5 is available for purchase and/or upgrade on the Google Play Store.

Version 1.0.5 includes the following changes:

1. Removal of all Google Play Store licensing checks. This was done in order to avoid any lingering question of GPLv2 license compliance.

2. Relax and modify device permissions and feature requirements, so that OpenCPN for Android may be used on WiFi-only devices which may not contain a GPS receiver.

I'm glad to be back, and look forward to providing continued enhancements and upgrades as we move forward. Stay tuned!

Thanks for your continued support.
Dave

Old 29-10-2015, 07:34   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: OpenCPN for Android returns to Google Play Store

I just got an android device and am going to try OCPN on it. Going to the google play store, there seems to be two versions - one free and one $10.

What is the difference?

This is my first foray into android and google play store, so forgive me if I am being dense.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 08:23   #3
Marine Service Provider

Mark...

There are two versions of OpenCPN on the Google Play Store.

The paid version is the latest Android Release with automatic updates, online support, and a dedicated Forum for user participation and feedback. This Version is under active development by me.

The "free" version is a repackage of an older, out-of-date Release of OCPN. It is published by a different source, and is unrelated to the paid version. It is unsupported, and the update plan is unknown. You may wish to contact that publisher for more details.

Welcome to the Android world, Mark.

Dave
Old 29-10-2015, 10:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I won't be mucking about in Android much. Someone gave us an Android phone and I thought it useful to put a charting package on it to be used as a backup to our backup's backup's backup's backup's backup.

Now we have 9 independent full-function charting devices and 12 GPS's on board - most acquired incidentally as a by-function of a more primary reason to get the device.

And one paper chart of the entire Caribbean sea (although I don't know where it is)…

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:18   #5

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Mark...

and a dedicated Forum for user participation and feedback. T

Dave
Dave ... which thread is the best Forum to use? This one or the Production release one?

Terry
Old 29-10-2015, 19:29   #6

Boat: Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Dave ... which thread is the best Forum to use? This one or the Production release one?

Terry
Or the bigdumboat one???
Old 31-10-2015, 21:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

Terry...

The best spot for support on OpenCPN for Android is the dedicated Forum:

OpenCPN Android Forum

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-11-2015, 05:30   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Wait, what? Is this for real? Is it "authorized" by the OpenCDM team? Same base code?

I did try a free version once, and was disappointed. I purchased MX Mariner, which I understood to be some sort of a knock-off of OpenCDM, because it seemed to have a good reputation. I'm very happy with it, and probably don't need both if they're almost identical.

I'm also a big fan of OpenCDM, and don't have a problem forking over $10, sight unseen, to give it a try on my phone and support the project. But I can't go tossing $10 bills at everyone who puts out an app just because they choose to use the same name.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:55   #9
Marine Service Provider

CaptTom...

The OpenCPN for Android paid version is published by me, the lead developer and originator of the OpenCPN project. It is most definitely authorized.

The free version uses an obsolete code base, repackaged under different credentials.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-11-2015, 16:21   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Great! I figured from your post total you must have some connection to the project!

Thanks for making the effort to port this over to Android!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:15   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Our Samsung Androids have been updated
S4 Phone to Android Version 5.0.1 Last System Update 8-19-2015 (Lollipop)
Note 8.0 to Android Version 4.4.2 -Kernel Version dated 9-21-2015 (KitKat)
Android Version History
4.4 Storage Access Framework, an API allowing apps to retrieve files in a consistent manner.

Examining MicroSD changes in Android 4.4

Quote:
This disallowed any third party application from writing to the microSD card, although they could write to their own private folder on the microSD card, much like how applications can write to their own folder on /data/apps/ but they can't modify any other folder in that directory. With permission to write to external stoarge, it is possible to read any file on the microSD card that isnít a private folder, but it isnít possible to write to any other folder. The permission to write to any folder on the microSD card is now limited to system/OS applications only.
Quote:
The big news isnít that Samsung is adopting the change. Rather, it seems that Google is now enforcing this change in microSD behavior across all OEMs. Presumably, this means that the Android CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) now requires compliance with the new system of accessing microSD storage. Based upon user feedback, both Samsung and HTC devices with microSD slots are no longer capable of allowing user applications to write to folders outside of the applicationís private folder. While it was once hard to say whether this would only be followed by a few OEMs, it seems that this standard is well on track to universal adoption.
@bdcat: Does OpenCPN Android currently support those standards? Maybe it is compliant, on our S4 phones the External MicroSD card uses directory "Charts" with not a problem.
Is it just a matter of OpenCPN has to create the correct Directory on
"/storage/extSdCard/", lets say "Charts" and make sure it has read write access? That is all that is needed. Opencpn does not need to write anywhere else on the extSD card, nor does it want to.

Charts - Chart Sources and Options
Chart Files - Configure Installed Charts
Chart Files - Current Chart Directories (listed)
Selections on the screen "Add" "Remove" "Cancel" "OK"
Selecting "Add" is the same as "Browse"

@ bdbcat: Maybe it should say Add (Browse) to eliminate confusion for non-techies?

On Note 8.0 Our Charts Directories are setup up for
/storage/extSdCard/Charts <---External MicroSD card
/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC/US_CGD01 <--Internal Storage
/storage/emulated/0/Charts/ENC/US_CGD01 <--Internal Storage
The last two were created by chartdownloader I believe

On S4 our Charts Directories are setup up for
/storage/extSdCard/Charts <---External MicroSD card

Observation: The path structures in Android are byzantine and not conducive to user navigation. There is no easy way around this from a programming point of view, Is there? --IE There are just two places that the brower can see.. The standard "Chart" directory at "/storage/emulated/0/Charts" and an "/storage/extSdCard/" ?

But then there are all the USB ports.....?

Is there a simpler way of presenting the Chart location options to the Android User? and filtering out the extraneous directories.

====
@ bdbcat Also a thought:
Main thread for Opencpn Android, under commercial.
I wonder if the thread could be moved to a separate thread under Navigation since it is now free? It might be found easier
Old 03-01-2016, 06:29   #12

Mewstone wrote:

Quote:
Thanks. If I could browse for folders in the chart directory in opencpn I could locate the charts, but there is no browse option.
See post above:
  1. Charts - Chart Sources and Options
  2. Chart Files - Configure Installed Charts
  3. Chart Files - Current Chart Directories (listed)
  4. Selections on the screen "Add" "Remove" "Cancel" "OK"
  5. Selecting "Add" is the same as "Browse"
Quote:
.. Or if I could locate the default folder which Opencpn gives as the chart location that would help. It's given as /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/organisations.opencpn.opencpn/files. I can't find this and a search on my file Explorer doesn't find it. If I could find this location I could put the CM93 charts there. I'd love to get this working on my tablet but a chartplotter with no charts isn't much good.
  1. Believe it or not, using USB cable to connect your android to your computer and using Windows to browse folders is easier. Then you can copy your free charts over to the Android quite easily. Just copy the ones you need (don't over whelm your storage). I have USCG District 01 RNC and ENC but that is a bit much. I would pick RNC or ENC probably.
  2. Use a USB Memory Key and copy your charts to a key, then connect the Memory Key to your Android and use File Browser or another File Explorer App to copy the charts over. (I am open to File Explerer App suggestions. Have used Ghost Commander which is pretty good but the menu at the bottom is too small. The Android Folder App that is built in is almost easier.
  3. Keep in mind that Android File system is a little difficult to navigate at first. You have to get used to it, also using a File Browser App that is new to you is an added layer. So it can be frustrating. Once it is done you are pretty much set.
  4. Since Chart Downloader is included, I would let Chartdownloader do its work accepting the defaults, after the main Chart directory is setup. Then download a few charts. Then do a search and find where those charts are located. Then you can copy selected chart directories from your computer if you like, (provided your computer charts followed the ChartDownloader defaults).
Quote:
found it! on a Sony Z2 tablet the folder is at: Internal storage>Android>data>org.opencpn>files.
Good. Perseverance paid off, sorry I responded too late.
Old 03-01-2016, 18:21   #13

From this Sailmag Article 15 Apps for Navigating with your Apple or Android Device - Sail Magazine

App comparison Chart -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t_g/edit#gid=0

Looks like O could do better than most with a few plugins.
Old 20-01-2016, 17:46   #14

Using OpenCPN on Android - Touch Commands

Jon Gough gave these suggestiona on Android primarily speaking about ODraw Plugin, however much of it applies to OpenCPN as well:

Quote:
You can use the Escape key to stop drawing objects AFTER you have done the first left click but not before. Perhaps I should allow Escape to be used BEFORE the first left click.

I have used the OD plugin on an Android tablet and a PI using the Android tablet VPN/RDP into it. The right mouse click seems to be implemented by a two finger touch of the screen, rather like the left mouse click being a single finger touch. Doing this I could access all of OD and create the objects needed. The double left mouse click is just a double single finger touch.
I think we should be listing the special touch commands that need to be used, so that we can make a comprehensive Touch Command List as it equates to Computer based OpenCPN with keyboard and mouse.
Old 23-01-2016, 17:01   #15

Any idea when a grib plug-in will be available for the Android version?

Tags
enc, google, opencpn