Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-04-2013, 10:58   #1
Marine Service Provider

NYC to Annapolis early May

Needed: One or two enthusiastic sailors looking to learn from a serious and highly experienced licensed captain and ASA certified instructor who has made the trip between Larchmont, New York to Maryland perhaps 20 times. Experience is great but smarts and enthusiasm is important. This is a Grand Soleil 40--a very nice racer-cruiser. I am patient and willing to teach but expect you to take long spells at the wheel., handle sails, plot courses and be involved in all aspects of sailing.

Please--no smoking, no drinking while U/W....you get points if you have some experience, a sense of humor, some education and if you have your own weather gear">foul weather gear, inflatable PFD harness and tether. Bring your own binocs!

Reply here with the main information that you think I need to know about you. How you respond will determine if I contact you. Think about marketing yourself. Be succinct, complete and thoughtful.

I do this for my living--you can do this for the fun, the experience, the education and the travel and then maybe one day for your living as well. I will drive you to NY or you can meet me there. If you need to get back to NY, that is on your own. I'll pay for provisioning and promise to provide good food and snacks--it's critical for a good and safe voyage. I'm pretty easy to get along with and want you to have fun, be safe and learn but I expect attentiveness and stamina. Dress warmly and stay dry I cannot babysit you.

The boat draws 7' so we'll likely be going straight through Hell Gate with the tide and out to sea with no stops with the possible exception of Cape May or Atlantic City. Boat has a liferaft but no EPIRB--bring your cell phone and camera!

Reply here and I'll get back to you..... Thanks! Captain Paul

Old 23-04-2013, 13:36   #2

Re: NYC to Annapolis early May

I am a Maryland native looking to go along on a shorter sailing trip in between my spring and summer university semesters. I love sailing and am trying to fit in a little bit of fun before I jump into a two week thermodynamics class (2 weeks of hell). I have experience sailing on the Chesapeake Bay from Annapolis to Rockhall and in the Annapolis area. I am not licensed in the US, but I do have a license to sail on inland waters from the Austrian Sailing Federation. The boats I've sailed on most recently are a Beneteau 305 and a Catalina 270, both with diesel engines so I have some experience with those as well as some basic navigation skills. I own my own wet weather gear ($100 Helly Hansen top and bottoms). It works well under rain, but prolonged rain (6+ hours) dampness does creep through. I am contemplating buying better wet weather gear if I do start going on longer trips. I enjoy sailing and I don't mind a spot of bad weather along the way. If things do get bad while out at sea, I've had enough experience sailing to know to follow a captains orders. I also do not smoke so that won't be an issue.
I am looking to learn more about sailing, especially on open water, since that is something I haven't done much of.
I look forward to getting a reply, and hopefully sailing to Annapolis by the end of it all.

Old 24-04-2013, 07:40   #3

Hello Captain,

My (car) ride just blew out on me. I need to get up north asap. I'm available starting April 30th. Made the NY-FL-NY trip about 4 times on a 34' catamaran. Check out my profile.

If you think we have a match, call me at 646-257-0025

Richard
Old 24-04-2013, 14:49   #4

Boat: Freedom 35

Captain Paul:

I've served as crew on a number of professionally captained deliveries and I know what's expected of me. (J 109, Newport to Annapolis; Sabre 402, Annapolis to NC, then NC to Abacos offshore); C&C Landfall 49, Miami to NC (where a chain plate snapped). I've also brought one of my own boats from NC to Annapolis. I'm in Annapolis frequently, working on my newly-purchased Freedom 35, so I'd be happy to meet with you.

Al
Old 24-04-2013, 18:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

I still have room for a crewperson and plan to leave next week. It should be a 2-3 day trip. Please reply here only if you are available starting April 29 or so.... thanks

Tags
annapolis, nyc