Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-12-2017, 02:02   #61
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Next Gen Alternator Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Your opinion. But your solution is to use FLA for the starting battery. If instead it is a gel battery, like the house bank, I have my doubts.

Yes, I suppose I could just use a battery selector switch. But back when that was most common I heard too many sailors say that they forgot to switch to "Both" and after a day of motoring they still had one dead battery. Or worse, they left it on "Both" after charging and discovered too late that both banks were low. Automation is nice to have. That said, during all of my cruising I used diode isolators for each of the alternator, wind generator, and solar sources to good effect, in spite of others' warnings of inefficiency. They also removed the possibility that a short in the alternator/wind gen/solar systems could pull a large current out of the battery banks - today I have fuses instead. And no switching needed, ever.

Greg
I'm looking at Lfp for house bank and a 110 amp alternator to charge them.
Will have separate Fla start battery charged off my dynostarter motor.
Just need a simple easily programmable external regulator for the alt. To the Lfp.
Dynostarter puts out 11 amps to recharge start battery .
This will keep the two completely isolated. ( looking at having a portable jump battery as backup for starting)

Old 19-12-2017, 03:49   #62

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

OK, just blew past my bedtime doing some research. I had missed your earlier comment about the DC-DC charger, and wasn't current about them either. That would certainly be a near-perfect solution, although if multistage a bit of overkill as starter batteries should never get deeply discharged and need that regimen. The smart combiner like the ProIsoCharger will still use the same alternator output voltage for both banks, but with a shutoff when full, so not nearly as adaptive as a multistage DC-DC charger but an improvement over simple isolators/combiners. Since they are not all that different in price I would have to agree with the DC-DC if needed.

While researching I ran across a new product I had not seen before: an alternator-battery charger. It basically passes the alternator output through a single diode to the starter battery, and siphons off current through a multi-stage controller to the house bank. It is able to load an alternator, by pulling the output down to 13V or so, and boosting the voltage for the house bank as required. This would get the most out of the alternator, up to the max charge rate, while keeping the continuous voltage on the starting battery at or below the manufacturer's design output. The attraction to me is that no smart regulator would need to installed (which would require modifying the existing regulator) while getting the same multistep advantage. And if it fails it would be easy to slap in a selector switch and be back to stock. It doesn't do a lot for the starting battery, but it doesn't raise the voltage and cause overcharging either. Seems like a good idea - any thoughts?

BTW this starting battery thing doesn't really apply to my situation. I use two banks, a single battery and a double battery (3 identical batteries, all larger than needed for starting). While the single battery is usually used for starting and the double for the house, I will often switch to the reverse for more even usage or even just use both banks (when I could hand start the engine). I have never let the batteries get so low as to not be able to start the engine - that would be potentially damaging to the batteries, and forgetfulness on a heroic scale.

Greg

Old 19-12-2017, 10:30   #63

Boat: CT 49, 1989

My Alternator Regulator wish list

• Separate Remote voltage sense, non current carrying, wire to connect to batt pos terminal
• Fully programmable/ and customizable output parameters
• Selectable ‘No Float’ option
• Optional Selectable High Voltage Disconnect (HVD) relay control output connection,
• HVD controller output operated at either a selectable Voltage level increased to a programmable level or battery charge rate falling to a selectable value,
• Wireless/ wired or App programable also sounds nice
• Monitoring of some parameters. Perhaps as a ‘delux’ model option
• Dual customizable outputs for different House and Start batt banks. Maybe this could be another deluxe model option?
• Output reductions only based on max settable Alternator temperature, -
not time based
• Have a say min temp controlled engine and belt, reduced Alternator output warm up period.
Old 19-12-2017, 12:24   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
BTW this starting battery thing doesn't really apply to my situation. I use two banks, a single battery and a double battery (3 identical batteries, all larger than needed for starting). While the single battery is usually used for starting and the double for the house, I will often switch to the reverse for more even usage or even just use both banks
This is not a normal design, but IMO just fine with some tweaks, and can easily be optimized for greater total capacity without adding batts.

If you want to discuss that, start a new thread with the above details plus more if you like, so we don't further derail this one.
Old 20-12-2017, 23:00   #65

Location: Currently cruising Southern Indonesia, heading for peninsular Malaysia
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

There has been some talk about turning off Float. I presume this is for LiFePO4 batteries, as lead/acid batteries usually like to float at 13.3v or so.

So for LiFePO4s, how about actively managing the alternator output so that *no* current goes into the battery? That is, the alternator is only providing for house loads, which can still vary considerably. Would this satisfy folks? This is how Al is programming his regulators for the end of the LiFePO4 charge cycle.
Old 21-12-2017, 00:09   #66

Yes.

I've thought a cheap lead batt needs to be there as a liad dump / buffer if the LFP bank is truly isolated once full.

Tags
alternator, regulator