Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-12-2016, 08:45   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 45.5
New Marine Refrigeration System

Hi Everyone

We will be showing our new Marine Refrigeration system at the spring boat show in Annapolis this year .

We have a video up now and will be posting lots more in the coming weeks , take a look , any questions , ask away .

Regards ColdEh Marine Refrigeration

Old 29-12-2016, 16:04   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: New Marine Refrigeration System

This looks interesting, I presently have an ADler Barbour cold machine system on my Pdq 36 It does an ok job but requires a lot of juice . the box is quite well insulated with vacuum panels It has a front opening door .I do not use the entire thing as a freezer (it has the oval plate with a door on it mounted to the top of the fridge ) . What I would like ideally is to retain a small is freezer section similar to what i have now but improve the efficiency .
Is it possible to use any of the components ie the condenser and compressor and add your superior evaporator and twin fan system to it . Or does it need to be new front to back
If I didn't know better I would say that you are TyphoonEh
good luck with your venture

Old 30-12-2016, 05:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
This looks interesting, I presently have an ADler Barbour cold machine system on my Pdq 36 It does an ok job but requires a lot of juice . the box is quite well insulated with vacuum panels It has a front opening door .I do not use the entire thing as a freezer (it has the oval plate with a door on it mounted to the top of the fridge ) . What I would like ideally is to retain a small is freezer section similar to what i have now but improve the efficiency .
Is it possible to use any of the components ie the condenser and compressor and add your superior evaporator and twin fan system to it . Or does it need to be new front to back
If I didn't know better I would say that you are TyphoonEh
good luck with your venture

Hi Admiral.

Yes thatís me , Typhoon , I will be posting from now on as ColdEh Marine . Thanks for the encouragement, I don't expect to make this a full time job as I understand this is a very small niche market . My main idea is to help people with there refrigeration wows and give them a choose. There really is a better way to do it .

As for your system , I could use your compressor and controller and build around it , Is it a AB 100 or 200,? the 200 has the option of water cooling and a BD50 compressor . As you know water cooling is not needed. If you have access , send me a picture of your box and Im sure I could get you running much more efficiently.

Let me know .
Old 30-12-2016, 12:26   #4

Boat: islandpacket

Do you have a web site?
Old 30-12-2016, 13:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Do you have a web site?
Well we did have , but I think my wife is changing domains to day , it will be running again shortly .
coldeh.com

Regards
Old 31-12-2016, 10:12   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Hi Everyone

We will be showing our new Marine Refrigeration system at the spring boat show in Annapolis this year .

We have a video up now and will be posting lots more in the coming weeks , take a look , any questions , ask away .

Regards ColdEh Marine Refrigeration

So what exactly is different about this than say, a Nova Kool system.
Old 31-12-2016, 12:10   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's a good question . This is a long conversation . Let's first talk about cap tubes . Those are those damn things that get plunged more often then not and scrap your refrigeration system . Also captube systems have to balance , so basically you have no way in the system to store refrigerant . So the system has to achieve a balance between what is in the evaporator and what is in the condenser . This limits the size of your condenser . Not good because captubes control refrigerant flow by the flashing of refrigerant inside the tube . Or by its bubble length . Liquid flows much better then flashing refrigerant in the tube , so as temperatures go up and the condenser can not remove enough heat from the refrigerant the bubble length in the cap tube becomes greaterand puts the brakes on the flow . That is a good thing if you want to control a compressor from overloading but not great when you want a little more flow for cooling your food . This is due to a small condenser . Many systems use water cooling to keep these temperatures in check which can shorten the bubble length in the captube which helps keep the flow up . Not sure if that helped . Also the captube is so tiny that just about any dirt in the system can plug it . You can even get sludge build up inside the tube and restricting flow. Builders use these system because they are cheap . They also use thin aluminium evaporator plates , these corrode in a few years of steady use and are prone to damage . All sorts of threads on that .
We use a thermostatic valve to control refrigerant flow . There is a sensing bulb mounted to the suction side of the plate which senses the temperature of the refrigerant leaving the plate . If it is warm it opens the valve and allows more refrigerant to enter the plate , this happens when you add food to your fridge . The compressor will run nonstop until that sensing bulb is happy and your box temperature is reached. You can not do this with a cap tube system it does not know or care about what temperature you box is so if you try to run your compressor from a box temperature probe you could over power your plate and have liquid refrigerant return to your compressor , they don't like liquid and you could do a lot of damage . Captube system have no way to control refrigerant flow other the the captube. That's why the thermostat sensing tube is attached to the plate , once the plate gets cold it turns off the compressor . It may take 10 or more cycles to get your box down to temperature instead of a TXV (thermostatic expansion valve ) system that would take one. Much more energy efficient. Plus the valve responds to the load you put in the box.
Now if you use a TXV you must use a reciever accumulator drier to hold liquid refrigerant for when the TXV wants it . The filter area in these things are much larger the the small ones on captube systems and they have ten times the desiccant for removing stray moisture that may be in the system . Also now you have a system that doesn't need to be balanced now you can put on a massive condenser so air cooling is all you will ever need !!! That's great no power hunger water pump no plugged strainers and you can use your system when the boat is out of the water. Now let's talk about those fans , twin Noctua , best fans in the business they are rated for 150000 hrs and take .03 amps each and are totally quiet . You can not hear this system running if you try .TXV systems are much more costly to build . I use an all copper finely finned condenser that does not have any trouble in high temperatures , no aluminum fins so no corrosion , and copper has almost twice the thermal conductivity of aluminum . Now let's talk about the plates . They are all copper as well these things respond extremely fast to changing temperatures and can remove almost double the amount of heat then aluminum . These plates are almost indestructible and will never corrode , there are no dissimilar metals used in there construction, and they are built to fit your box . There are 2 sight glasses in the system one on the receiver drier and one right at the TXV . That's the important one , you always want liquid at the TXV . This one you can look at every time you open the box , it is right there in plain sight . It also has a colour strip in it and charges colour if there is ever any water in the system . The system is controlled by box temperature not by the evaporator and comes with a digital thermostat. There are many parameters that you can control with it . Also has a manual speed controller and a fault light on the panel . If you really want to see the difference we will be at the Annapolis spring boat show with a system up and running and various plates . I am so sure of this system we offer the longest warranty in the business , 7 years . If any part of it fails , we will repair or replace the unit . If you are heading to places out of the way , you really want to have the peace of mind that your refrigeration system is going to perform for many years .
Told you this was a big question .

Regards John ColdEh
Old 31-12-2016, 12:11   #8

This is interesting on a couple of fronts. I have recently started volunteer work for a rebuild of the galley on the local sail training vessel (St. Lawrence II - Brigantine Inc.), located just a few hours from you. Included in this work is a wholesale replacement all appliances including the refrigeration.

My current plan calls for a custom top loading freezer (~3 cu ft) and an off-the-shelf front loading refrigerator (~6-8 cu ft). Though this is subject to change as I am still reviewing the (many) options.

This system appears to be a regular non-eutectic system, but with a copper evaporator rather than aluminum. With 6" of extruded insulation in the test video, I would expect a relatively low energy consumption. I couldn't actually find where the 30% increase in efficiency was calculated/measured.

What is else is different about this system? How much power does it use on a daily basis? I only found a reference to 20 WH / 2 AH; which seems really low if those are Watt-Hours & Ampere-Hours.

Thanks,

Allan.
Old 31-12-2016, 13:42   #9

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Excellent write up sir!
Old 31-12-2016, 15:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
This is interesting on a couple of fronts. I have recently started volunteer work for a rebuild of the galley on the local sail training vessel (St. Lawrence II - Brigantine Inc.), located just a few hours from you. Included in this work is a wholesale replacement all appliances including the refrigeration.

My current plan calls for a custom top loading freezer (~3 cu ft) and an off-the-shelf front loading refrigerator (~6-8 cu ft). Though this is subject to change as I am still reviewing the (many) options.

This system appears to be a regular non-eutectic system, but with a copper evaporator rather than aluminum. With 6" of extruded insulation in the test video, I would expect a relatively low energy consumption. I couldn't actually find where the 30% increase in efficiency was calculated/measured.

What is else is different about this system? How much power does it use on a daily basis? I only found a reference to 20 WH / 2 AH; which seems really low if those are Watt-Hours & Ampere-Hours.

Thanks,

Allan.

Hi Allan , Just updated the website with my most recent test data , I will be adding to that shortly with different sized plates .As you can see these systems are leasy on the power.

Regards John Tully ColdEh
Old 31-12-2016, 16:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post

Thanks,

Allan.

And just a note, I actually spent a week on board the Brigantine St Lawrence II as a Sea cadet many moons ago ,small world.

Regards
Old 31-12-2016, 16:30   #12

Boat: Dean Oceancomber 10M

Is that a typo? What does"leasy on the power mean"?
Old 31-12-2016, 18:50   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Well done John, very impressive!
May I suggest you add your website address to your profile so its easy to find?
Best of luck in your endeavor!
Erik
Old 31-12-2016, 19:16   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

What's old is new again as others discover the benefits of a TXV over a critical orifice.

Great work John and best of luck with the venture, the more people doing refrigeration the right way with a TXV, the better.

Now as a warning get ready for those that will doubt your Amp Hour savings, say your numbers are Sales hype and impossible. Trust me I've been doing this long enough to have seen it time and time again. But your data and our data going back to 1968 doesn't lie...there is a Huge energy savings in using a TXV over a craptube and it frees you from the evils of water cooling because you can size your condensing unit properly for the tropics!

Again great work and Congratulations.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2017, 07:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Hi Allan , Just updated the website with my most recent test data
Thanks for posting. Your figures show you have reduced energy consumption, to the same level as an eutectic system (for a similarly sized (2.5 cu ft = 71 litres)/insulated box (15cm = 6").

ColdEh: Top-loading 2.5cf Deep Freeze with R30 insulation: 24ah/24hrs at 12V

Ozefridge: <see attached image>

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	au.png
Views:	119
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	138784  

Tags
marine, refrigeration